Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with my M1A

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If I understood it correct, Walt was essentially discussing the problem of installing a previously installed barrel with respect to clocking and headspace/chamber length. Same issue we've encountered with milled AKs, and Galils, just to name two, when using previously installed screwed in barrel. Peening and/or shims can get you to proper clocking, but still have to contend with headspace and supported chamber length.

The chamber length will still be the same relative to the barrel. The assembly of peened/shimmed barrel and receiver will effectively increase the chamber length with respect to the receiver locking lugs.

If needing to adjust clocking, I'd think shims would be a better route vs peening in that with shims I'd think you'd have a larger mating surface than that of the peaks and valleys created with peening. With a very small gap adjustment, probably doesn't matter though.

How does your M-14 clone headspace? If your M-14 barreled receiver does not have sufficient headspace to close on proper 'go' gauge with barrel clocked correctly after shimming and/or peening, then you should be able to ream the chamber to set minimum headspace - assuming the bolt is not contacting the breech end on the barrel when bolt is in battery while using head space gauges - and be good to go.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

Will a washer crush the same?
    Ah...no.

To reiterated, one is governed by one's autonomy; one can also get away with an unsafe protocol (all the tolerances might stack up just right, after all), but I'm not a betting man.

I can only exhort someone to consider the possible consequences carefully before proceeding on a course of action.

Regards,

Walt
    PS When in Garand-land, do as JCG would do. When in FAL-land, speak Belgische.
    Author, New! The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide
    Author, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

Author, The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide, Fourth Edition

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    ... to ream the chamber to set minimum headspace - assuming the bolt is not contacting the breech end on the barrel when bolt is in battery while using head space gauges - and be good to go.
    Better buy stock in a reamer company; the GI chamber is, as is the balance of the bore, chrome plated in the M14 barrel .

Regards,

Walt

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Without a doubt, a new, virgin barrel is easiest and safest approach.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

I
    The chamber length will still be the same relative to the barrel. The assembly of peened/shimmed barrel and receiver will effectively increase the chamber length with respect to the receiver locking lugs.
    I'm not sure the results will be the same. In the one case, you're restoring the original length to get an approximation of the original draw, which should get you to where you would have been if the barrel clocked "properly" when hand-tight (I'm not going to retype a chapter of the book here, so for detail, go there, OK?). That is, you're taking the crush, stretching it out, and crushing it back.

With the shim, you're adding the thickness of the shim to the face of the receiver, shimming the barrel out by that amount, with the chamber moving forward with respect to the locked bolt.

I hope that's as clear as I meant it to be....

Regards,

Walt

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck View Post
    Better buy stock in a reamer company; the GI chamber is, as is the balance of the bore, chrome plated in the M14 barrel .

Regards,

Walt
    Oops............didn't know that. Then, you have to be very lucky and have all the stars line up just right or how bout installing that new barrel

PS, I only think I know what I'm talking about. I'll go to the book to learn more (or to learn what I don't know or is it what I think I don't know)......thanks Walt

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

The receiver is a springfield, that wasn't my first choice but Fulton Armory was out when I was looking (Sorry Walt) and the barrel is a NOS H&R barrel. Never been on another Rifle.

I am dead nuts on when hand tightening the barrel....I can't see any other option then a .001 or .002 shim. I don't want to keep blowing money buying barrels to see which one will fit. Seems like over kill. What if my next $400 barrel does the same thing.

At what point do you shim to make your rifle work??
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score

Don't shim, peen.

Clint can probably get that barrel on for you...but it won't be free . See the M14 Services Page; we start with the Complete Tech Inspection.

Yeah, our new receiver with new tooling and new contractor is proceeding apace. Fingers crossed for a Camp Perry announcement; but we'll sell no wine before its time, nor make promises we can't keep.

Best regards,

Walt

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Alright guys, you've got my curosity up. If you don't peen/shim, what does Clint do the get proper clocking ???? Can't be too many options.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

Alright guys, you've got my curosity up. If you don't peen/shim, what does Clint do the get proper clocking ???? Can't be too many options.

Sorry I wasn't clear; Check the previous post, where I suggested "Peen, not shim" :-) .

Best regards,

Walt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.