Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bob planted the seed

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Oh -- that's nice!!! What is the finish on it?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Illya;
    In round numbers, how much does one have invested in such a fine piece of artwork as that. Never mind the time, I work cheap!
    Mercy, how nice!!!!
    Bill
    Bill from Spartanburg

Be like an old dog!!!! If you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away!!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Total cost was around the 2K mark. I think it's a much better approach from that of the recent Springfield M1a offerings. This way you get all excellent condition USGI parts and a forged receiver to boot.

Wood finish 2 or 3 coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. Both applied with paper towel and with light coats. I'd read about the Minwax on the CMP site to get a GI look finish that also provides good protection. They say apply light coat, allow to sit approx 5 minutes or till coat is sticky then wipe off excess with cloth. Idea is to leave only coating that has soaked into the wood. I've tried straight Tung Oil before, brushed on with 5-6 coats. Didn't like the finish at all. Looked like it was coated in plastic - sort of reminded me of the 60s look plastic coated sofas. The CMP approach turns out nice.

Didn't run into any problems with barrel/receiver clocking. I cheated a bit on this rifle. I'd read your post and decided to avoid the problem by buying a real nice lightly used LRB assembled upper. It was really just a matter of refinishing some parts, buying a trigger group and a stock. Found both these parts at the Northridge table at the HGCA funshow last weekend. Cleaned up trigger group with glass beads and rephosphated with manganese phosophate - matched the rest of the metal finish very close. Refinished the birch stock and stuck the pieces together.

Only place I've seen parts kits for these is at your favorite place, Sarco
    Something in the range of $795

Current USGI M14 magazine provider CMI can be bought from several places

Next I'm looking for a nice Polytech heel stamped M-14s. Great place to start then replace selected items with USGI parts.

I really like the elegeant looks of the M-14. It's my latest love but then again I'm fickled

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Illya.....I'm no longer talking to you!!!! I'm already looking for another M1A receiver and and parts and I haven't even finished my first one!!!!.....Dam I like the look of that build.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    Only place I've seen parts kits for these is at your favorite place, Sarco
    Something in the range of $795
    I think I will calling Sarco tomorrow...........
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post
    Illya.....I'm no longer talking to you!!!! I'm already looking for another M1A receiver and and parts and I haven't even finished my first one!!!!.....Dam I like the look of that build.

The guy you really have to watch out for is Pirate. He'll have ya out on the Interstate with him begging for parts kit money.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I can't believe that the 10 best rifles picked on the MILITARY CHANNEL. They chose the M14 as #10! Another example of THE BEST getting sidelined due to political correctness.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post

Just can't seem to find a flashhider to finish mine up!
    That's because you have forgotten who your OLD friends are.

Would you like NM or G.I., Standard configuration, Std. wo/lug, or fully Kali legal (wo/lug. wo/slots)?

PS,...Shame on you!

I'm a bookkeeper's son,
    I don't wanna shoot no one,
    but I crossed my old man back in Oregon,
    don't take me alive.

---Steely Dan---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.