Gunco Forums banner

Bob planted the seed

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Akron Armory 
#1 ·
Bob got me hooked on the M-14. Finally got all the pieces and put them together. LRB forged receiver, TRW bolt, gas cylinder and op rod, HRA trigger group, and the rest is also all GI.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, that is sweet!!!! The wood makes it like an art piece. (the kind I'd hang on a wall) The M1A is one rifle I really wish I would have purchased back in the early 80's.

#4 ·
Nice weapon. The one I was issued on the USS LittleRock back in 76 had a bipod and the switch. As a Marine we had to fire our weapons every 3 months.We did it at sea in the Med. shooting at floating garbage and seagals. Have fun & be safe.

#7 ·
Dam that was fast!!!

Seems like just last week you were showing off your new upper......Boy that looks sweet.

Wow that really looks good! Any issue with the barrel/receiver spacing like mine?

Guess I need to get off my A$$ and get mine done! Just can't seem to find a flashhider to finish mine up!

#12 ·
Illya;
In round numbers, how much does one have invested in such a fine piece of artwork as that. Never mind the time, I work cheap!
Mercy, how nice!!!!
Bill

#13 ·
Total cost was around the 2K mark. I think it's a much better approach from that of the recent Springfield M1a offerings. This way you get all excellent condition USGI parts and a forged receiver to boot.

Wood finish 2 or 3 coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. Both applied with paper towel and with light coats. I'd read about the Minwax on the CMP site to get a GI look finish that also provides good protection. They say apply light coat, allow to sit approx 5 minutes or till coat is sticky then wipe off excess with cloth. Idea is to leave only coating that has soaked into the wood. I've tried straight Tung Oil before, brushed on with 5-6 coats. Didn't like the finish at all. Looked like it was coated in plastic - sort of reminded me of the 60s look plastic coated sofas. The CMP approach turns out nice.

Didn't run into any problems with barrel/receiver clocking. I cheated a bit on this rifle. I'd read your post and decided to avoid the problem by buying a real nice lightly used LRB assembled upper. It was really just a matter of refinishing some parts, buying a trigger group and a stock. Found both these parts at the Northridge table at the HGCA funshow last weekend. Cleaned up trigger group with glass beads and rephosphated with manganese phosophate - matched the rest of the metal finish very close. Refinished the birch stock and stuck the pieces together.

Only place I've seen parts kits for these is at your favorite place, Sarco :D
Something in the range of $795

Current USGI M14 magazine provider CMI can be bought from several places

Next I'm looking for a nice Polytech heel stamped M-14s. Great place to start then replace selected items with USGI parts.

I really like the elegeant looks of the M-14. It's my latest love but then again I'm fickled

#14 ·
Illya.....I'm no longer talking to you!!!! I'm already looking for another M1A receiver and and parts and I haven't even finished my first one!!!!.....Dam I like the look of that build.
:cheers::rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.