PTR 91 Any Comments

Thread: PTR 91 Any Comments

Feedback Score

Postak PTR 91 Any Comments

I bought a PTR91 with the Match barrel maybe they all have them did not do a ton of research on all the PTR models. 18" I have a ton of G3 mag from my old retail gun shop so shouls be set on mags. I ordered a collapsible h&k stock. What else would one recommend. Go ahead and scope this bad boy out maybe. If so Claw Mount no claw mount. What tactical scope.. Any one know what kind of accuracy at 100 and 300 yards should be with these shooting match ammo under idea conditions. Thinking of adding scope and bipod not much more I can think of. I ordered with aluminum forearm with tactical rails....

I had a H&K 91 sold it a few year back for a mint at my gunshop sold several G3 and shot several and always enjoyed them. However being in the business it does not take much to talk me into selling with the idea I can usually get another. However with the near uncertain future I will be keeping all my toys...

I hear they out shoot all the orginal H&K91s well see if its hype or not...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

From what I understand, all early PTR rifles had match bbls, the manufacturer figured he was building a high end rifle and people would want to use high quality ammo. They soon found out their customers wanted it to shoot surplus ammo too, so a lot were returned when they puked on 3rd world surplus and were rebarreled or rechambered to looser specs. After that, their standard rifle was sold with the more reliable specs. Haven't really looked into them currently, but I suspect they sell them with both types of bbls depending on model.

The factory collapsable stock is a pain to actually shoot for most people, the buttplate is curved the wrong way! The newer sidefolder ones that look like the one on the MP5PDW are a lot more comfortable.

Depending on how yours shoots, I would use a claw mount if the accuracy wasn't Sniper grade. If it is an exceptional shooter, you might want to look into getting a picatinny rail welded directly to the receiver, add the receiver stiffener rails (can't use the collapsable stock with them though) and get a trigger job done.

If you reload, the rubber port buffer is a nice addition.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

everything the Kernel said...

My buddy's PTR functions as good as my Portugese G3 (XG3S) and was easier on the pocketbook. I have all the goodies for mine, including the rebar face slapper (aka collapsible stock) and the HK factory heavy bipod (a $650 boat anchor LOL)

Didn't know that about the barrels... any way to tell if it is a "match" chamber?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Grab a handful of that crappy Indian ammo and see if it chambers. If it does, it ain't a match chamber!

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Smile AMEN

Amen to that Kernelkrink, I have 3 30 cal ammo cans of that and it is GARBAGE. I am now resigned to shooting it in an Indain Ishapore Bolt action as it is unreliable in my STG58 and my Cetme.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have had mine since mid 2005 and I love it! It took some breaking in and I think mine has the tighter chamber. I had to buy some larger rollers to make it easier to unlock (was within bolt gap spec up to me replacing the rollers) because the spent South African brass would stick in the chamber. Replaced the rollers, still in spec, and now no sticking brass. I have never had issues with commercial though. It has been performing very nice the past 2 years. I had it sighted in for 100meters last year and was shooting 1.25" on a bench with surplus SA!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.