Tuning Enfield Triggers

Thread: Tuning Enfield Triggers

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Tuning Enfield Triggers

Does any one have any advice or tutorials on improving the trigger travel/pull on the 303 Brit?

Feedback Score

Steven Redgwell of Gun Plumber Press has written a very nice little book on the subject: The Accurate Lee-Enfield. You can find it and him at his web site, 303british.com.

Alternatively, just get a Huber Concepts trigger for the SMLE/No 4 from Brownells.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, New! The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide
    Author, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

Author, The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide, Fourth Edition

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

That's a great site. Thanks Walt!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck View Post
    Steven Redgwell of Gun Plumber Press has written a very nice little book on the subject: The Accurate Lee-Enfield. You can find it and him at his web site, 303british.com.

Alternatively, just get a Huber Concepts trigger for the SMLE/No 4 from Brownells.

Regards,

Walt
    BUMP!!!!!

Having gone both ways, I would recommend the Huber Concepts.....It just works!!!!!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

BTT

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If the trigger is mounted on the trigger guard like on the No 4MKI and MKI* then you need to add pillars to keep the distance constant between the sear and the trigger, otherwise you will never get consistent trigger pull. If you have a No 4MKII then it is mounted on the receiver. After that it is simply a matter of improving geometries and smoothing matting surfaces, unless you have soft trigger parts then they will never stay improved. Your rifle will probably need re-crowned or the crown cleaned up. Put the highest numbered bolthead on the bolt that will close on the go gauge or the lowest that won't and stone the face until it will.

The Enfield has a lot of other issues to deal with besides the trigger and are outlined below.

Two piece stock does not allow free float of barrel.
    Barrel is not very rigid.
    Receiver lacks stiffness.
    Receivers suffer from stretch due to rear locking lug combined with rather weak receiver.
    Bolt flex due to rear locking lug.
    .303 British isn't exactly the most accurate or efficient cartridge design.

You might be able to get on to consistently shoot 1.5 MOA with good ammo starting with a good rifle. My friend did a bunch of mods to his No 4MKII and he gets 1.75MOA with handloads. He took an elk with it in 2007. My other friend's No4MKI(T) WWII sniper rifle, gets 3MOA with handloads as long as he doesn't put too much pressure on the forend. Getting good accuracy out of the Enfield also require a lot of shooter consistency in hold and pressures exerted on the rifle when shooting.

The important thing is to start with a reasonably accurate rifle. The Enfield that I later converted to .45ACP had a beautiful bore, clean crown, and great headspace but would shoot 4-5MOA with pretty much well any ammo or load that I tried. Plus I tried moding it to improve accuracy and didn't really help it at all.

-Yarro

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.