Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which 308 rifle - allaround purpose

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

(1) M-14 has a far better trigger and better sights = better accuracy but price is much higher for every thing M1A related... (2) FNFAL.. they are cheap and a very very good battle rifle cannot go wrong with the free worlds right arm...... Who cares about mag changes taking a few seconds longer if you need to change your 20 round magazine and four seconds make a difference! your a dead Mother ducker...anyway... (3) AR-10 cost is high but accuracy is great, same problems as the AR-15 it eats where it Sh!t's. Optics mounting is the best of the rest... with the 7.62mm Ar's... (4) G3 type.. heavy recoil, heavy gun, ammo sensitive, ie Fluted chamber sights are marginal regulated out to 400M only, trigger are heavy... but German G3/HK-91 are very accurate.... B2B
    Last edited by Bolt2bounce; 04-05-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt2bounce View Post
    (3) AR-10 cost is high but accuracy is great, same problems as the AR-15 it eats where it Sh!t's. Optics mounting is the best of the rest... with the 7.62mm Ar's... B2B
    I've gotta admit, I loved the AR-10 I had... It was wicked accurate... but, like you said, it sh!ts where it eats.

Mark

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I would say to go with the FAL. I was trying to get one from DSA the beginning of last year. Now at Lcpl. pay in the Marine Corps wasn't going to fill the bill. If you have about 1,500 to 5,000 grand to spend and don't mind possibly waiting a year to get your rifle. Then I'd say to get one straight from DSA. They are top notch. Shooting them is a dream.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    All purpose... Hmmm, why not a HK91/G3? Seems like a good all around weapon.

Mark
    HK91 is VERY nice!!!

But at $2500 MINIMUM, that is a lot of cheese!

Now if you were thinking CETME, that would be different.

The only problem is that there is no DS Arms for CETME rifles....Just Century, and a few "whos"....

Safe bet is DS Arms FN FAL or a Springfield M1A....Both are top notch, even for the $$$.

You can Go Century FN FAL or CETME if you KNOW what you are looking at.

I have no problem with Century, I own several. But I know what I am looking at and how to fix it if I missed something. My choice would be a Century FN FAL AND an AR15. Best of both worlds.

Just sayin...
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

These days finding a good M-14 isn't easy. Most new ones have many cheap cast parts. Mounting a scope on an M-14 isn't as easy as some other rifles. I used to use the Brookfield Precision Tool mount and tack weld the mounting screw head to the mount to keep it tight. The M-14 has most of the action exposed and no receiver cover. The M-14 is held together by the trigger guard and the stock. The M-14 flash hider has to be aligned with the bore. A little off or even some wwater in it can cause damage or affect accuracy. The "match" flash hiders are bored out for more bullet clearence but must be bored exactly on center to be accurate. The M-14 can be accurate at the range but for all around use there are better choices.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    These days finding a good M-14 isn't easy. Most new ones have many cheap cast parts. Mounting a scope on an M-14 isn't as easy as some other rifles. I used to use the Brookfield Precision Tool mount and tack weld the mounting screw head to the mount to keep it tight. The M-14 has most of the action exposed and no receiver cover. The M-14 is held together by the trigger guard and the stock. The M-14 flash hider has to be aligned with the bore. A little off or even some wwater in it can cause damage or affect accuracy. The "match" flash hiders are bored out for more bullet clearence but must be bored exactly on center to be accurate. The M-14 can be accurate at the range but for all around use there are better choices.
    Ah HA!!!

You've been reading the super secret Marine Corps Accurizing guide for NM M-14s!!! Show me the secret handshake
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

I just got a M1A SOCOMM II. guntests did a comparison on them and the AR10 and the SOCOM beat hands down.

With only cleaning the shipping grease out of the barrel and lugs so that it would cycle properly, I shot a 3-4 shot group through Iron sights at 100 yards of 1.25 inches. Here I was thinking that I was going to sight the rifle in. This doing absolutely nothing other than loading and shooting directly from the factory.

I asked a friend of mine who is a former marine M14 instructor if I should get the NM trigger or sights and he rightly said "What For?"

"FREEDOM FOREVER !!" james ward's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I would have to say a CETME or HK91. FAL's are good rifles. But, pretty expensive & unless you have longer arms, the rifle is to long to shoot comfortably.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FAL,period. Mine is super accurrate,topcover scope mount works great. On the downside it is a bit heavy.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I'd agree with part of your comments on the M-14's.. I've built and or barreled eight or nine of them.. finding quality GI parts is getting very hard and very expensive these days as are real GI magazines.. I don't think water would effect anything in the M-14. other than possible on top of the front sight post causing your first shot to go low... The Navy seals have used them for years.. in the water... AS a DMR weapon... The USGI fiber glass (Brown stock solves most of the bedding/ accuracy issues assoc with wood stocks.. That is a old issue and is long since solved with Crane and LRB Smith Ent. contracts builds... The M1 Garand is held together the exact same way as the M-14. It went through World war two in europe and the pacific, korea and parts of the vietnam war and it continues to soldier on; on many a battle field even today...So being held together by the stock and trigger guard seems to work OUT just fine... the FAL is held together by a spring loaded latch...and it works also... Not a short coming in my opinion.. one reason the accuracy of the M-14 is better than a FAL is the trigger and sights which are better by a long way...the second is a smaller lighter gas piston with out a spring attached to it... less mass to upset barrel harmonics... The flash suppressors on the early M-14 were designed to be very very close to bore DIA to act as a recoil check... as a result if this some rifle had bullets strike the inside of the Flash suppressor .poor accuracy was a predictable result. thus the match F.S. were remed out to eliminate this problem... three the lock up of the M-14 having twin front locking lugs which has less flex than the rear locking of the FAl.. Brookfield Precision Tool mount are great, I use Sadlak ind.. mount and they are top shelf... having a "open action" is also not a short coming in my book.. easy to see, easy to clear, no place for sand, dirt, debris to stick the action like on the L1A1's where the bolt carrier had to be SAND Cut so they would work in the desert.... Don't get me wrong the FAL is a great battle rifle.. it's ergonomics are great and adjustable gas system is also good thing.. but the best part is it's low price... Are there better options that a M-14 M1A if your worried about price and can live with a less accurate rifle yes... B2B
    Last edited by Bolt2bounce; 04-05-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.