MINI-14 Receiver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MINI-14 Receiver

Feedback Score

Default MINI-14 Receiver

Hello,

I am looking at a mini14 (PREBAN) and it has RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT\GOVT USE ONLY 91494 stamped above the SN on receiver. Can anyone tell me if that adds or takes away the value? Response greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Actually that's a ban rifle, I'm assuming it has a folding stock or other features that would have made it banned during the 94 AW ban. As far as value, it depends on the buyer. To me it adds nothing, and in the case of an LE encounter at the range it just might result in some "personal attention" due to ignorance on their part so I wouldn't really seek one out. OTOH, some people like non-standard markings and may seek them out.

Feedback Score

It was Owned by the Missouri State Police, that's why it's marked like that. Alot of police depts. bought those before the AR's. Do you think it would take any value away?

Collector & Enthusiast GreenBlood10's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Like the Kernel said it's not going to really add/subtract any value. It's just another rifle with a non-standard marking. I have had a couple Mini-14's (probably my favorite rifle) and one was marked for a Baltimore County Correctional Facility BCCF. Upon trade in the shop didn't even blink over it.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail...but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Feedback Score

Ok, thanks. Their is a GB Stainless model Prefix 186 with bayo lug in good shape, stock needs to be re-finished. I can probably get it for $700.00. Do you think it's a fair price?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That doesn't sound bad. There are a few variations of the factory flash hider, and I *thiunk* the one with the bayonet lug is the desireable one to have. Its the same one like on the Minis used by the A-Team. Looks like a longer AR style flash hider.

Now if you are looking for collectibility then it could be worth those extra marks, but the factory flash hider would indicate its worth the price.

IF NOT - I would consider getting a newer built Mini as the Ruger company completely retooled their production line a few years ago to address the QC issues that were causing the Minis problems.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

over the years i have had about 4 mini14s the first one i bought for $168 new in the box it was the best of the lot although i was never truly happy with the way it shot.

my later 181,182 and 183 series were plagued with all kinds of weird issues and problems. i haven't had one of the "new generation tooling" ruger claims to have fixed everything--but i have heard that one before.

i also got to fire various ac-5.56gb during some testing the DOD was doing back in the 80s. i think the entire lot of them were gave to the IDF which quickly gave them to the various friendly freedom fighters. the AC5.56 got the hot-potato treatment--

your experience might be better. you may get a great one the first attempt. but it was the mini-14 that drove me to get the ar-15's & AK's.

Feedback Score

j247x, I have found that the earlier mini's were hit and miss as far as quality goes. I can see where many people got a bad taste from the mini's. As far as $700 goes for the price, I would jump on it granted it is in good shape. I have done some traveling recently and always look for mini's when I am out and haven't found a new one for under $800 and will only go up in price. The last mini I purchased was $599, and now I can't get that same model for under $900. Make sure it's in good shape and it's what you want and pick it up. If you don't have a stock pile of 5.56/.223 consider the ammo situation as well.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail...but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I got one of those LEO marked ones, a guy had a dozen of them at the show and said they were from a prison that updated they firearms, I only got it because other then some scratches on the stock it looked new and was priced about $150 less then a new rifle.
    Plus the factory flash hider & bayo lug add to the cool factor.

If you get it, ProMag makes nice mags for these, make sure to get the steel ones.

Feedback Score

+1 on the promags. Promags fit/work great in all of my mini's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.