Gunco Forums banner

Korean Garands Once More...

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  moleman 
#1 ·
What has become of the Korean Garand rifle import to the US ??? Has it stalled ?? Was it torpedoed ??? Did they change their minds ?? I had such hopes for it too. The few I have heard about were said to be both spendy and toasted.

VD

#2 ·
Try Southern Ohio Gun.the add said:These are historic battle rifles from WWII and Korea. These rifles are mechanically fine, original finish and wood that is in good condition. Some wear on metal and dings in wood and will clean up better with a little TLC. Length 43”, 24” barrel, adjustable rear sight, weight 9.5lbs.

#12 ·
Yikes for $400 I would hope the barrels would be in good condition! By the time you rebarrel it you could have just bought one from CMP and a litrle bit of paperwork. Glad to hear the condition of these before playing the "lottery" - I too think I'll pass

#14 ·
I posted in the C&R section about SOG having them in stock and I got flamed by a person saying that those rifles weren't the Korean ones. Well, I ordered one anyway, it is in about 60%-70% condition: all metal is drenched in cosmoline, the handguard is loose, the stock is dark brown and saturated with cosmoline. I haven't cleaned the cosmoline up yet, so I don't know the condition of the barrel. It is really a $450 M1 rifle, I'm glad I bought it, but it is going to need hours of work to get it to a good shape. I may even just clean it up a bit and send it to Fulton Armory, in Maryland, to have it refinished.

#15 ·
Quote from a search
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »

Blue Sky Arsenal re-imported a bunch in the 1980s. The imported rifles are stamped on the barrel; you should be able to see the stamp by drawing back the charging handle.
I came across two storys now that say the SOG garands were the old imports?????

#16 ·
Quote from a search
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »

Blue Sky Arsenal re-imported a bunch in the 1980s. The imported rifles are stamped on the barrel; you should be able to see the stamp by drawing back the charging handle.
I came across two storys now that say the SOG garands were the old imports?????
I had a pos blue sky arsenal M1 back in the late 80's. The barrel was stamped blue sky towards the muzzle between the handguard and the front sight.

#18 ·
I wonder if this is what I got? I posted this thread asking about barrel markings and the only thing I can find is the circle thing is from Taiwan.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f210/garand-barrel-markings-55041/
It has the CIA import mark on the barrel near the front.

I got it from a guy at the SAR show, he had about 30 of them there, and some of them were very rough. A friend had a dummy 308 and I did the generic "bullet test" and only 5 or 6 passed, most went right to the case. The guy said (don't know if it was bull or not) that these were sent out from CIA as $600 rifles but the company that received them refused them and shipped 'em back because of the condition.
He was selling them for $325 but you couldn't take them apart, just lock the bolt back and inspec the bore is about all he'd let you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.