Gunco Forums banner

G3 Port Buffers

870 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 ·
Is it just me or do these things do more harm than good? I just scratched the crap out of my duracoat finish by installing this thing :grumble:

Quality Engineering by Teutonic Gnomes...

Is there a way to remove/install this sucker that won't scratch the paint?

#3 ·
Yeah I have the carry handle and on my friends we were able to use a box-end wrench to make the wire ends of the handle actually parallel, and whaddayaknow it doesn't scratch half as much as you'd think!

I think now that my receiver is thoroughly scratched that if you start with the rubber piece and push downward on the left side, it will only rub the paint. At least, less than the scraping when I first put it on :( Once it is on it is on to stay!

#4 ·
We confirmed that you only get a slight rub on the so-called "new" model with the rolled edge on the left side. It helps to lock back the bolt. The right side has a mating surface that interfaces with the edge of the ejection port. Locate that and the snap edge along the top of the ejection port, then push down and let the rolled edge glide along the left side. It will snap into place. Oiling things up will help.

#5 ·
I do admit that just about everything you put on your G3/CETME will scratch the finish, but these are battle rifles, not safe queens. When you get your grade 1 or 2 kit they are pretty rough because they are battle rifles from the 60's. Maybe we need a safe queen forum.

#7 ·
Unfortunately I currently live close enough to the coast that the humid salt air tends to attack surface rust really fast, and so I was mostly worried about the area directly underneath the buffer since it could trap moist air rather easily.

I can see how collectors would shit themselves when their little baby gets a scratch but I'm not one to worry about that, unlike my friend who is THE Safe Queen collector. While mine is an actual G3 and not a PTR, etc, it certainly isn't a safe queen (thank you Mr. Smartass :rofl: ) and even if it was I'm not one to worry about finish. Its funny how compared to other designs the Huns seem to not care about surface rust since you simply can't install anything without hurting the finish somehow. If this were an active service weapon I suppose it wouldn't matter since "someone" would probably be cleaning it every day for inspection. Heck even their expensive bipod scratches the crap out of the receiver when you install it! But for my occasional use I am worried about protecting my investment. Now that friend of mine with his PTR, boy is he fun to listen to when he gets all worried about how "wear" areas like the sling mount, carry handle, etc. gets a scratch! :D I just remind him that I have an airbrush and I'm not afraid to use it :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.