Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: latest purchase.

Feedback Score

SWEET M1 you got there ! DO you mind me asking what CMP is charging for their M1's these days ?

I saw a whole lot of them at a place by me but they were BAD....looked like after the war some people used them for baseball bats and paddels for their canoes LOL, they were all sorts of beat up...the only good thing was they were $300 IIR. But sold as is no returns....good parts kit of re-build probably.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Saigaist the total was $617.95 ,Coils Ah $350.00 M1s those were the days ,How does it shoot that is the bottom line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Very nice
    A hell of a lot better looking then my $350 M1
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Saigaist most likely saw the same guy I got mine from.

Ah $350.00 M1s those were the days
    Yeah, spring of this year
    It was $325 (as is) and the receiver was loose in the stock, found another rough stock that fit better for $25 (that's the 350), a friend had a dummy 308 and I did the generic bullet test on the bores, only two passed (out of like 30) and this was the better of the two.

It shoots great at 100 meters, didn't try the 200 yet.
    But I think I'll have to replace the op-rod, when I first shot it the rod popped out of the receiver groove, the part on the rod was out of spec. I added some material and filed it to spec, put 200+ rounds through it and it still popped once. I'm not in a rush to get one since they're 100-150 for used and 300+ for like new or new.

These are great rifles, if anyone reading this hasn't shot one, try it and I'm sure you'll want one
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Back when I ordered mine read if you put a note in they would try to hook you up with a request. That is how I got my H&R and IH (tractor rifle). I also ordered my M14 parts from them back then. They sent me all TRW parts: op rod, bolt and trigger group. Won't say what I paid for the parts but todays prices are OBSCENE. Gotta believe is wasn't an accident they were all matching as I made no request for matching parts. Love the CMP folks.
    Now for the real fun.... GO TO A CMP GARAND MATCH!

Feedback Score

Hello Coils
    I too have built-up the Garand OP-rod tab that kept popping out of the track. TIG with hard facing rod made a wear resistant tab. It had to be carefully ground to shape (slightly over-size, ie longer).

The tab's groove on the side of the M-1 receiver had to be ground a bit deeper as it was worn from years of use. To grind it I used the ever-popular Dremel and a couple small abrasive wheels. The OP-rod stayed put !!

My very first M-1 Garand cost about $125.oo from Sears long before FFL's were mandated. That Garand was much nicer than the one issued to me as a cadet years later.

VD

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the info VD, I haven't messed with it lately, I think the groove is still decent but I'll look into it.
    A friend told me a guy started working at a local shop recently that's into these, I'll have to stop by and see what he thinks.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

THe shooting club I just joined has the Garand Matches.
    I need to get in gear and order one....................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.