Gunco Forums banner

galil

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  FloridaAKM 
#1 ·
best place to get a galil kit-how hard to put together?

Would you recommend another 1st build project?

#2 ·
Not too bad a build, but it's one that doesn't really make monetary sense currently. Haven't seen any kits around, receivers are about $350, and you can buy a built gun from SOG right now for $519.

Back when I got mine, ORF had a package deal, kit and receiver for $600 with a virgin barrel. It's built but I still need to park and paint it.

#7 ·
It's just not cost effective to build a Galil 223 at this time. Not when you can buy one for around $600.00

parts Kit $290.00
Receiver $350.00
Shipping $25.00
FFL cost $15.00
USA parts $75.00
--------
$755.00 To build ,plus your free labor.

#8 ·
My thoughts exactly! :frown:

It's just not cost effective to build a Galil 223 at this time. Not when you can buy one for around $600.00

parts Kit $290.00
Receiver $350.00
Shipping $25.00
FFL cost $15.00
USA parts $75.00
--------
$755.00 To build ,plus your free labor.

#10 ·
The receivers at Centerfire; are ones they had from Ohio Rapid Fire.

About 2 months ago; they had 20 left. Remember, OFR had issues with their receivers at the end (Bad Dimensions/hardness) before their closure last May.

When you say 600.00 for a built gun; you're talking about century Arms; who is using Caspian (cast) receivers.

You got about a 50 percent chance that you will have some issues with the gun, including some major issues.

If you buy a real Galil (IMI); 2 to 3 K is the going rate. prices have dropped a little over the past 6 to 8 months.

Doing the build right, there is a gunsmith in Tenn.; Jeff at Hillbilly firarms that does a great job on Galils.

Unfornutely, he spending spending a lot of time fixing the Century Golani's on their mistakes.

#12 ·
For a first built, I'd recommend:

$99 Romanian parts kit from Century
$110 new chrome-lined barrel from Apex
$100-ish for a finished receiver, shipping, and FFL fee
$8 for rivets

redchevyman here on Gunco has good prices on the "922r compliance parts" you'll need to be legal, and greenmachine79 sells some really nice bolt cutter jaws for crushing the rivets. Or you can make your own; hcpookie came up with the idea originally, and there are DIY instructions here and on his web site. Or you can tap the trunnions and use screws; I did my first one that way.

If you want to build from a flat you'll need to build or buy a bending fixture, a welder to weld the rails in, and then either spot-harden the axis pin holes with a torch or go nuts and build a heat-treat oven. Then you'll probably want the usual Parkerized finish, which requires a heated tank, chemicals, etc. Lots of guys go this route - the fun is in the build, not the end product - but if you have limited resources, you can get a brand new receiver that's already bent, heat treated, Parkerized, and ready to rock for $100-ish. It will also have an ATF-registered serial number. This means you can legally sell the gun later, if you wish. If you build from a flat, it's perfectly legal to make and own without notifying any official authority, but selling it is a legal gray area.

If all you want is an AK, you can buy a new one for $350-$375, in a box with a warranty, and you'd be hard pressed to build one from pieces for that price.

**********DANGER WILL ROBINSON!*************

WARNING: Kalashnikov-based rifles are addictive!

You'll get one of the "precursor" Romanian or Bulgarian AKMs, and then you'll want a Krinkov, and a Galil, and a PSL, and then a Tabuk, and a couple more Bulgarians because they were on sale, and then the gun safe is full and your're storing rifles in plastic sweater boxes under the bed.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that... but if you're not careful when you move into a bigger place to get enough room for all your AKs, you might strain your back while moving your gun safe. Back injuries can be serious! If you hurt your back, it can interfere with the enjoyment of collecting and shooting AKs. Let the movers handle the safe.

#17 ·
A small amount of machining & proper heat treating to cure the soft metal parts that move after building to lose headspace before 500 rounds.

I picked up a nitrided IMI barrel to replace the GM USA barrel that came with the kit. Now all that is needed is am IMI or equal receiver to start the build.

If yours works & holds the headspace for many thousands of rounds, you are a good builder & blessed with a good in spec receiver!

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.