Thread: rifle grenade for yugo SKS

Feedback Score

Default rifle grenade for yugo SKS

Looking for inert practice grenade for my new Yugo SKS-I need to test the rifle grenade......
    Every where i have looked is out of stock of the rifle grenades-did they quit making them or something?
    Also where do you get the blanks(are they just regular blanks?)

Thanks in advance folks

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Almost all the blanks on the market are what they call "parade" blanks, they are lower powered then an actual grenade blank, and they are at least half the price.

If you want to make sure the gas block off is working, just throw the valve over and fire a round, if the bolt doesn't cycle it should be fine.

Any NATO grenade will fit, I forget the size.
    The US ones that hold a regular grenade, you know like from WWII, do work but most of those adapters where sold to other countries years ago. They use to be dirt cheap but go for about $15 each now.

If you got the skill, you could make a tennis ball or golf ball launcher.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There once was a how-to on making practice "rifle grenades" out of PVC pipe and tennis balls. Those supposedly work well with the "parade blanks".

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Do you know how they attached the tennis ball to the PVC?
    I might have to try it. I wire tied a tennis ball to one of those US grenade adapters and it goes about 100 yards or so with the parade blanks.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

anybody use the rubber ones from service of supply website??

Feedback Score

The NATO standard rifle grenade uses a 22 mm spigot which is the same size as the US WW-II 7/8 inch spigot launcher. The NATO loading of the launcher blank is about 1 grain under the standard bullet round. The US WW-II launcher blank was likewise loaded to that of the 30"06 but with a small amount of black powder added to help low pressure combustion.

A booster blank made from a .45 revolver case was developed in WW-II to help the M-1 carbine toss those RG's. That extra blank was inserted into the muzzle of the launcher tube with the paper disc toward the rear.

The tailboom tube of the blue aluminum M-31 RG is a piece of 1 inch diameter x .065 inch wall aluminum tube. More recent RG's use a booster inside to help overcome the gimpy 5.56mm NATO round like the M-1 carbine issue. These new RG's are also smaller and lighter weight. The M-16 series flash hiders are... 7/8 inch diameter as are the G-3 flash hiders.

There have been many different RG's used over the centuries. The spigot launch types evolved from WW-I German trench mortors.

Tossing tennis balls I believe uses the "cup type" launcher of old.

PS: those blue practice RG's are made from real HEAT versions but filled with hard wax.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and HAPPY LAUNCHING,
    VD

Feedback Score

Note there are 2 standards for 22mm rifle grenades, US and European. The difference is mainly the European rifle grenade is longer than the US rifle grenade. NATO standardized on the US rifle grenade in 1961. Austria and Switzerland stayed with the longer grenades and their rifles were only designed for longer grenades. Compare the Stg-58 flash hider to the post - 1961 Belgian FAL combo flash hider. The pre-1961 G-3 flash hiders were longer than the 1961 and later ones. In 1961 the US had NATO adopt standards for the rifle that included an integrated rifle grenade launcher and a last round bolt hold open. Whoever was in charge of developing and improving Yugoslavia's rifles thought that if NATO adopted something, it must be good. They added 22mm rifle grenade launchers to the rifles and bolt hold open to the AK magazines.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.