Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CETME problem

Feedback Score

Question CETME problem

I have a Century CETME I have had problems with it sense I first got it.
    Initially it cycled about 8 rounds fine then failed to eject the rest of the magazine. I vigorously disassembled and cleaned the gun. After reassembling the cleaned gun it cycled 40 rounds without a single problem. A month later the rifle cycled about 10 rounds and then failed to eject the spent cartridge. I took the mag out and loaded another mag into the gun, which fired 3 rounds without a problem. From then on the rifle will not cycle. The rifle has no problem loading the bullet into the chamber; it also does not have problems firing said bullet once loaded into the chamber. However the bolt will not retreat once the bullet has been fired. I have tried several types of bullets with no avail.

I then took it to a gunsmith. The smith seems to just as perplexed as I am.
    He replaced the rollers, the locking piece his did not fix the problem. He replaced my CETME’s bolt head with his friends HK bolt head and he said that the rifle cycled some bullets but not others. It worked well with Remington, but not with Argentinean surplus.

The problem with the surplus he says is that the bolt does not retreat far enough to eject the spent cartridge.

What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I had some cycling problems on my cetme with a cast receiver I built until I ran about 100 rounds through it now it runs fine I guess it just needed to be broken in I don't know what the symptoms of a ground bolt head from a century build are but some one more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Did the smith check bolt gap and replace the rollers with proper sized rollers or did he juist replace with standard rollers? Also hk and cetme bolt heads are not interchangeable as far as I know so that might not be a good test. I'm not an a big cetme guy just trying to help point you in the right direction as far as checking proper bolt gap some experts here can hopefully chime in

Feedback Score

I thought it was iffy when he told me that I needed to buy an HK???? bolt head.
    But I did it.
    And I’m not sure if he replaced them with just any rollers, or the correct size?
    I don’t know anymore man,
    I’m so disappointed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Check the bolt gap.

Feedback Score

The bolt gap is within tolerance, the smith replaced the rollers with +4's.

I do know that the parts arent interchangeable, he knows that too.

Feedback Score

Hello Talk to the manufactor of that rifle and let them advise you. They should do something.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMULE View Post
    Hello Talk to the manufactor of that rifle and let them advise you. They should do something.
    Look at the first sentence of the OP.

It lists the manufacturer as "Century".

If this means nothing to you, please do a search.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by XORstatus View Post
    I have a Century CETME I have had problems with it sense I first got it.
    Initially it cycled about 8 rounds fine then failed to eject the rest of the magazine. I vigorously disassembled and cleaned the gun. After reassembling the cleaned gun it cycled 40 rounds without a single problem. A month later the rifle cycled about 10 rounds and then failed to eject the spent cartridge. I took the mag out and loaded another mag into the gun, which fired 3 rounds without a problem. From then on the rifle will not cycle. The rifle has no problem loading the bullet into the chamber; it also does not have problems firing said bullet once loaded into the chamber. However the bolt will not retreat once the bullet has been fired. I have tried several types of bullets with no avail.

I then took it to a gunsmith. The smith seems to just as perplexed as I am.
    He replaced the rollers, the locking piece his did not fix the problem. He replaced my CETME’s bolt head with his friends HK bolt head and he said that the rifle cycled some bullets but not others. It worked well with Remington, but not with Argentinean surplus.

The problem with the surplus he says is that the bolt does not retreat far enough to eject the spent cartridge.

What do you guys think?
    These are the steps I used to make the Cetme a safe shooter.
    The original bolt gap with a ground bolt was .011
    The ground bolt length was 1.8265
    New bolt length is 1.834 they seem to range from 1.834 to 1.842
    This bolt is ground .008
    The .008 is “false gap”created by the grinding.
    Subtract that from the measured gap of .011 and the actual gap is .003
    The spec bolt gap is .004 min to .020 max.
    I remote fired this one for experimental purposes only.
    This unit would not extract, nor feed the next round when locked in a vise and fired from the remote position.
    The following checks and repairs were made:

Here we align the stock pin holes with a 7mm reamer, the same one used for trigger pins on an AK one stock pin in and ream the empty hole then switch and ream the other hole

I installed +2 rollers (8.02 mm) and found the bolt gap was .005in.
    This was acceptable but I wanted more gap
    I then installed +4 rollers (8.04 mm) and got a gap of .008in
    Each + roller adds .003in to the gap
    With a go guage the gap was increased to .009in or .001in gain, well within the head space of the 7.62 X 51 cartridge.
    With the no go guage the bolt gap was .012 a gain of .003in.
    This is perfectly acceptable for the cartridge.
    The use of the gauges merely assured the repairs were within limits of the Cetme for safe shooting of the unit.
    It was test fired with 30 rounds of NATO surplus ammo from 3 different magazines with no failures.

Changing the brake to the original Cetme

Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score

If you've not already cured this then take a trip over to militaryfirearm.com and enjoy some of the therapy on cetme. A lot of guys over there are pretty specialized on this fine design and the suffering brought on by CAI assembly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.