Thread: battle rifles.....

Feedback Score

Default battle rifles.....

I frequently get asked which battle rifle is my choice for a preferred 7.62mm weapon. I have one of about every type ever made in my personal reference collection, and some are better than others in a given area, but the one I have always liked the best is the FAL. The M14 can be tuned to a higher degree of accuracy and the G3 I would consider the most rugged, but all things considered the FAL as a 7.62mm battle rifle or carbine is, in my opinion, the all around best choice.
    I currently own 14 FAL style rifles of different flavors, mostly original Belgian made guns, but I would recommend a buyer look hard at DS Arms offerings if you find yourself shopping for a 7.62mm rifle or carbine vs paying the high price for a pre ban Belgian FAL. In addition DS Arms deserves the lions share of credit of keeping the FAL viable in this day and age and offering more options and varieties than Fabrique Nationale ever dreamed of. I own 3 DS Arms FAL style rifles and I find them well made, more than adequately accurate, and reliable if you know how to treat an FAL. Make no mistake the FAL is not an AK; you cannot abuse it like an AK and expect it to work. If you treat it with the respect it deserves however it will serve you quite well. Jeff Cooper said it well; “The AK is the rifle for the masses and the FAL is the rifle for the classes”. As he so often did Jeff summed up the situation perfectly; and make no mistake the FAL is the rifle for the classes.

Feedback Score

Let me just say that from playing many FPS games, I can say that my overall favorite kind of gun is the designated marksman rifle. It sort of occupies the niche between an assault rifle and a sniper rifle . Perfect for medium range, but can still hold its own in close-quarters or long-range when in the right hands.

I may be asking for too much info at this point, but will we get any of those kinds of rifles? Specifically for maybe the Stealth Class?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I bought one backin 08 and have not fired it yet.I believe it was put togather
    by Century with a Imbel reciver.Think I payed $500 or $525 for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

railbuggy, That's the same one I had and sold 3-4 years ago. I loved mine just had to sell because I was waiting for dissability to be approved and was broke, I'm sorry I sold it but one has to what one has to do to keep a roof over your head!!

Feedback Score

Default 14 import fal's

tell me how to earn enough money to do that. because it sounds like this is a small part of your collection

Feedback Score

Default HK 91 recommended

I used to have an old soft bound small booklet that listed some expert's opinion about the essential firearms to have for survival in the event of societal collapse.

It listed at least one firearm from each "category", like, the ruger MkII, 1911 Colt .45, Remington 700, etc.

for the battle rifle, it listed the HK 91. I'm sure many things would make that choice suspect today.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

FN Fal 308 is a very hard to beat, but each to your own.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score

Its really hard to say. The accuracy between all of the above will vary depending on brand of manufacture/model etc.

M14-Very reliable. Excellent Iron sights. Not good for scope mountin IMHO. There is a pistol grip stock out there for more ergonomic handling as well as light weight polymer stocks. Not a good platform for selective fire. During Vietnam FA converted M14's suffered cracked recievers.

G3 (HK)-Good sights, but i like the M14's better. Can more comfortably be fitted with a scope. Does not have a bolt-hold open on last shot like the FN FAL (L1a1). Also the mag release button is too far forward. Is known to have more recoil then M14 and FAL. Stock is uncomfortable.

FN FAL (L1a1)-Better ergonomics then the other two IMHO. Gas regulation setting make adopting the rifle to certain loads easier. Scope mounting works great. Good irons, but not as good as M14. Bolt hold open on last shot.-some models do not, but can easily be modded for this feature. Can handle FA fireing and the "sand groove" cuts on the bolt help make this on of the most reliable Battle Rifles.

AR10 (SR25)-beefed up M16 in 7.62x51mm. Light weight. Excellent accuracy, but propably not as reliable as others above though. The SR25 and AR10(T) are more cost effective then the HK PSG-1 IMHO. (The SR25 costs about $3,000+ vs $10,000 for the PSG-1) AR10(T) and the SR25 are both capable of SUB MOA accuracy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

rdb2, bust ass all your life ,scrimp and save, and lots of overtime and dickering, that's how it's done. And yes it was only one of my 86 gun collection, but don't fret it took me most of my 61 years to get there. And I worked very hard and gave up lots of other things to get to this point. You can do it too!!!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.