Thread: CETME Range Day with Crappy Mags

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default CETME Range Day with Crappy Mags

CETME Range Day

I went out to the range to test out a couple of my CETME rifles.

Conditions: Overcast and rain with light cross-winds about 10-15 mph.

On this trip I used surplus G3/HK91 magazines with mixed results. I will work on modifying these "cheap" magazines to get them to function. It would appear that these magazines do lock up tight but don't seat high enough into the mag well. I have no problem using the CETME magazines however.

CETME 1 - Polymer stock set with aftermarket UTG rail.

CETME 2 - Wood stock set.

For this trip I used the Santa Barbara Spanish Military Surplus "7.62 CETME" 1960s production (112 grain). Originally manufactured for the "Cetme" rifle with a lighter bullet and reduced pressure, this is "the ammo" for the the Cetme rifle. Also Great for Spanish Mausers. Brass case, copper jacketed FMJ, lead and plastic composite core, non-magnetic.

CETME 1

The CETME 1 rifle shot low at 100 meters and after some scope adjustment I did get on target. The scope is a cheap Tasco and not all that great. I forget my allen wrench set so I couldn't remove the scope to shoot with open sights.

Still not bad but should be much better, I have replaced the scope and will try out some mag mods in the future.

CETME 2

The CETME 2 rifle was already sighted in previously and it seemed to be just as accurate as before. As with the CETME 1 rifle I used aluminum surplus G3/HK91 mags. The same problems of cycling an d feeding were evident although I did get several shots off one after another before the occasional FTF and FTE problems. The original steel CETME mags tend to function fine which leads me to consider some dremel work is in order to get these "cheap" mags to seat higher into the mag well allowing the bolt to catch and strip ammo off the mag into the chamber.

The shots definitely grouped nicely. I shot a couple in the lower right target to get a feel for where I should make any adjustments. It was close enough that I just took after the main target. It was slightly off to the right but had a very decent grouping near center. I may tweak it slightly next outting.

All in all, I am pleased as many people have experienced problems with the Century CETME builds. I chanced it and even though I had to do some minor work the rifles were fun to shoot and the outcome was satisfactory. I still have work to fine tune these rifles but they make me want to consider adding a HK91 (if I can find a good deal) or maybe a US made PTR91 clone. If you want a CETME I would suggest testing firing first if you can - otherwise expect to do some minor (or major) work on your rifles and mags. The question now is have any here modified these G3 mags (aluminum and steel)? How did that work out?

- Black Blade
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Mine has that problem with the factory Cetme mags and they do pull up tight. But then I tried the G3 aluminum mags with great results and they are a bit loose. I guess I need to trade a couple of mags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well I was cleaning the one with the black plastic and when I reassembled it the charging handle wouldn't slide forward without a little tap or bounce the butt on the floor. When I disassembled and looked it over it appears that the guide rod is slightly bent. I will work it a bit but rather than mess with it I ordered a new back plate assembly with rod and recoil spring. The only problem looks like it will be a bitch to remove the hex screw deep inside the buttstock. I guess I gotta locate a long allen wrench attachment now.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Do need the tools to do the job. Replaced the Cetme rear with an Hk91 to get that stock to fit and also an Hk91 FCG. the 91 is a much sweeter trigger pull. Notice the select switch. US parts count kept.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.