Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: To Restore or Not Restore a M1 Garand - VIDEO

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

WTF,, I don't think anyone here has given you any grief at all, someone makes comments about leaving guns original to preserve history and you go getting all defensive on us Amsdorf.

I've got 2 match Garand's both in original trim as issued and matching numbered,,, one still unopened in the original Camp Perry wood crate as shipped from the factory, lead seals intact and all,,,and one identical that I competed with for many years with. I would no more think of redoing no matter badly worn the one I competed with may be . After all how many all 100% original one's are left out there? Mine stands a chance of becoming a measum piece, yours won't

Hell ya, if it's one that had been re-done before and is all mis-matched to start, as many are ,,no biggie.

Just don't be a ass bag cause someone here has there own ideas on restoring one. Some of us defended this country with them and have our own ideas about butchering history, sorry but just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score

Not saying anyone here has given me any grief about my Garands. Take two aspirins and calm down.

"Butchering history" ... eye roll. LOL.

Member of the National Rifle Association (Life/Endowment); Gun Owners of America (Life); Garand Collectors Association; National Shooting Sports Foundation. CCW License Holder in MO. FFL 03 License Holder.

Check out my Gun and Gear channel on YouTube:
    VDMA VIDEOS.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

So how much are you getting everytime someone clicks your link and watch your videos? You never said anything when that was brought up before
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Come on guys! Getting quite heated over nothing. I see nothing wrong with restoring a mis-matched beater to a more pleasing appearance. Unless your trying to pass it off as original, i.e. a counterfeit. I "rescue" bubba'ed war horses all the time and try to make them correct again. On the other hand I would never mess with an all matching war rifle just to make it look pretty.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Good Man,, ya scared me for a bit,,Amsdorf, I missed the part where you'd said it was beat up to start with.

Believe it or not one of my friends kids "tac Cooled " up a super nice all original Garrand that was his Grand pa's,,, OMG!!! I could have brained him. It was bought on the civilian market,, I believe,, way way back by his Grand pa and looked like almost new,, "EX Cond +" anyhow. Sense then I get twitchey when I see something like that re-done.

A mix master,, as I call them,,Hell ya,, that's all well and good, better off to do those up and just enjoy them. And as long as there done nice like that one you have was,, not a biggie, that's why I thought you'd started with something better,, as it looked so good in the pics.

Don't worry I only get bitchy when it come to politics

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I must confess that as a young man I butchered an exellent 1909 Argentine. Turned it into a 1909 carbine. Looked all correct and was quite proud of my work until about 10 years ago I looked up the collectors price on an exellent one, nearly had a damn stroke! Since I had already ruined any collector value, no matter how nice and correct it looked, I turned it into an African safari rifle, 458 win mag. Now I know better, and since I can do the work myself and save $ I'm always on the lookout for some poor soldier that needs a little tlc. I just finished taking off a spray on clear finish from a WW2 K98K and replaceing the stock disks that someone had put half dollars in their place!
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    Come on guys! Getting quite heated over nothing. I see nothing wrong with restoring a mis-matched beater to a more pleasing appearance. Unless your trying to pass it off as original, i.e. a counterfeit. I "rescue" bubba'ed war horses all the time and try to make them correct again. On the other hand I would never mess with an all matching war rifle just to make it look pretty.
    Oh Thank God! The Voice of Reason!!!!!

Both sides of this debate have merit.

It would be a sin to refinish a historical piece just to make it look good.

It would be STUPID to not as an example replace a loose or failing stock. Same for a Barrel that is now too worn, or a bent Op Rod.

A collector piece is just that.

A shooter is just that.

Have fun. Just do not mis-represent what kind of rifle it is to the lesser initiated.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I personally dont buy collector grade guns. Its not that I dont want them, I do, just cant pay what they want for them. But the pawn shops sometimes have raggedy guns that can be bought cheap, and then the challenge of bringing them back to thier former glory is fun, and the pride of doing a good job cant be measured.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

some people have their priorities totally out of whack.

It's a rifle, people. It's a tool. It's a piece of history that NOBODY can claim is "original" unless...they buy a WWII era Garand in factory grease and wrap. Trust me, I know of collectors of such rare specimens. These are the Garand gods.

Lighten up.

If your goal is to put a Garand in a museum, then get your knickers in a knot. Oh, wait, they already have plenty of Garands in museums.

Do what you will and enjoy them.

Member of the National Rifle Association (Life/Endowment); Gun Owners of America (Life); Garand Collectors Association; National Shooting Sports Foundation. CCW License Holder in MO. FFL 03 License Holder.

Check out my Gun and Gear channel on YouTube:
    VDMA VIDEOS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.