Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To Restore or Not Restore a M1 Garand - VIDEO

Feedback Score

Default To Restore or Not Restore a M1 Garand - VIDEO

I read various discussions about the pros/cons of restoring a WWII era M1 Garand. Some believe it to be a terrible thing to do, in any way, to "improve" upon what the rifle is, since the story of the rifle comes with the way it has come down to us. Others either could care less about the "down side" of restoring, or don't like to do it only because the chances of recovering what you put into the restoration will probably never be returned to the person who paid for it. Still others want a beautiful restoration of the rifle that won WWII in the hands of our brave troops. I count myself in this group on the question of restoration.

In the midst of this, many don't ever get a chance to see a restored Garand, so I thought I would put this video together of the Garand I had restored. The video link is below.

This was my first M1 Garand I purchased, intentionally buying it for the purpose of restoring it. I wanted a WWII era Garand, both receiver and barrel. I found this one and bought it. It had a simply dreadful 50s era stock that was put on it.

of the Garand I had restored by Dean's Gun Restorations.

Member of the National Rifle Association (Life/Endowment); Gun Owners of America (Life); Garand Collectors Association; National Shooting Sports Foundation. CCW License Holder in MO. FFL 03 License Holder.

Check out my Gun and Gear channel on YouTube:
    VDMA VIDEOS.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I'm not even going to bother looking.....you ruined it.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I agree if it needs to be restored then its not worth it, its a shooter and should be kept as such,
    TO ME its junk no matter how pretty you make it, it will never be what it once was,
    spend the money and save your time and buy the real thing and shoot the junk

how many times does this have to be posted on this site and on others "do not restore old guns LEAVE THEM ALONE"
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Pretty much every Garand out there has been armory rebuilt at least once, so there's really little chance of finding a "completely original" or "all matching" one.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

gi armory rebuilt is one thing, taking a junky garand and refinishing it is not the same
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    I'm not even going to bother looking.....you ruined it.
    Now that's funny.

Member of the National Rifle Association (Life/Endowment); Gun Owners of America (Life); Garand Collectors Association; National Shooting Sports Foundation. CCW License Holder in MO. FFL 03 License Holder.

VDMA VIDEOS.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Pretty much every Garand out there has been armory rebuilt at least once, so there's really little chance of finding a "completely original" or "all matching" one.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

Correct answer. Johnny, tell him what he has won!

Seriously, it is amusing to read the raging debates among the Garand purist collector elite platinum level crowd about these things.

All interesting and educational, but as you say, finally...somewhat pointless.

On the other hand, the guy I picked up several CMP Collector grades from sold them to me because he was moving into the 'superstar' collector level...he has and is buying more actual WWII Garands in the original factory wrapping/greased up, etc. As they came right from Springfield.

I kid you not.

And, of course, he is plunking down $10,000+ on them.

To each his own.

VDMA VIDEOS.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    I agree if it needs to be restored then its not worth it, its a shooter and should be kept as such,
    TO ME its junk no matter how pretty you make it, it will never be what it once was,
    spend the money and save your time and buy the real thing and shoot the junk

how many times does this have to be posted on this site and on others "do not restore old guns LEAVE THEM ALONE"
    That's one point of view, of course, but there is no "right" or "wrong" and people who get themselves worked into a lather over these issues are...well, let's just say I hope and pray that the greatest problem they will face in their life is an issue like this.

VDMA VIDEOS.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

It's pretty obvious the ONLY reason you joined Gunco is to promote yourself & your stupid videos.
    This is a forum for members who like to WORK on GUNS. You have not made ONE constructive post since you joined. You sound like a wannabe gunshow host or something.
    In one breath your bragging about all of the CMP collector grade Garands you bought. And next you say this beater is your FIRST Garand purchase, because you wanted a WW11 barrel & receiver.WTF??
    Every other Gunco member is here to learn & help others enjoy our home gunsmithing hobby.
    The ONLY reason you are here is to HELP YOURSELF !

The most arrogant , self loving ,self promoting member of GUNCO???

DING DING DING!
    We have a winner! Who's also a loser
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

@Bradrock: I encourage you to fill out this form and submit it to the authorities.

VDMA VIDEOS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.