Thread: Quick Shots: The Lee-Enfield Rifle

Feedback Score

Default Quick Shots: The Lee-Enfield Rifle

Nothing fancy here, just short and to the point shooting action, this time featuring the Lee-Enfield. This particular model is a No. 4 Mk1* made right here in the good old USoA for the British, during WWII, by the Savage Corporation. By far, the Lee-Enfield was, in my opinion, the finest bolt action rifle issued as a main battle rifle during WWII. The bolt's smooth and very fast action, the high capacity magazine, the excellent trigger and the superb sights put the Lee-Enfield in a league of its own.

Here's the video:

For other Quick Shot videos, go here:
    Quick Shots - YouTube

Member of the National Rifle Association (Life/Endowment); Gun Owners of America (Life); Garand Collectors Association; National Shooting Sports Foundation. CCW License Holder in MO. FFL 03 License Holder.

Check out my Gun and Gear channel on YouTube:
    VDMA VIDEOS.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ever read about the "mad minute?" Brit troops were trained, during ww1 at least, to fire several aimed shots within 1 minute. I dont recall how many but it was very impressive. One story goes that a group of Germans were being fired upon so fast by Brit troops with smle's that they thought the Brits were using machine guns. I recall they would grasp the bolt knob with the thumb and forefinger, work the bolt, pick up a target as they closed the bolt and fire with the middle finger as the bolt was slapped closed, without taking the thumb & forefinger from the bolt knob. Lather,rinse,repeat till the rifle ran dry. I have tried it with an empty gun and it seems possible. Do us up a vid doing the "mad minute" drill. This guy does a fair job at 1:50.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

You learn something every day. THanks to both of you, the Mad minute technique is an interesting read!

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Back when the other major powers thought five rounds was plenty, and some of those had magazine cutoffs because they were supposed to be used as single-shots, those wacky Brits had TEN rounds... plus the entire magazine was detachable if needed. Indeed, James Paris Lee is sometimes credited with the invention of the box magazine.

By the way, though it's commonly written as "Short Magazine Lee Enfield", the correct designation is "Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield", as in "short rifle with a magazine", not "short magazine." The barrel was half a foot shorter than most other countries' main battle rifle, making it handier in the field.

The SMLE was a clumsy-looking rifle to modern eyes, but it was a whole lot of firepower in a package proved in every theatre from the Arctic to the equator, and was produced in England, Canada, Australia, and India.

Feedback Score

Straight from Wiki but remember reading about Snoxhall in a couple of books.

Mad minute was a pre-World War I term used by British riflemen during training to describe firing 15 aimed bullets into a target at 300 yd within one minute using a bolt-action rifle (usually a Lee-Enfield or Lee-Metford rifle). The record of 38 hits in one minute was set by Sergeant Major Snoxhall, an instructor at the British Army's Small Arms School.

Feedback Score

Interesting information,.
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score

I have had several SMLEs down through the years. I LIKE them. But, it is getting difficult to find surplus ammo for them now. I guess that I could reload for it. But, I just can't justify another caliber right now. Wonderful guns, though!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Very cool! Thanks for that!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.