Thread: PTR-91 rifles

Feedback Score

Default PTR-91 rifles

PTR91SC
    Item # 915210 Suggested retail price: $1,550.00 CA model available #900210 $1599.00 flash hider, H&K navy type polymer trigger group, tactical handguard machined from military spec. hard anodized aluminum, three 6” 1913 rails on handguard at the 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions, welded top scope mount
    Specifications:

Caliber:
    .308 or 7.62 NATO

Action:
    Delayed Blowback Roller-Lock System

Overall length:
    38 ”

Weight:
    9.5 lb

Barrel:
    16” match grade, fluted, bull barrel

Magazine:
    20rd

Stock:
    standard fixed stock

I have often considered obtaining one of these rifles. In his book Boston's Gun Bible, Boston T. Party says that these are one of the most dependable guns of this type. He does rate the M1A and the FAL very slightly ahead of them, but he says this H&K design is virtually indestructible. Any other opinions out there?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just before the current silliness I bought my PTR-91 for about $900 from CDNN. It has never failed me yet but it is a bit rough on brass. Fairly accurate too.

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

In Boston's Gun Bible he writes: "However the critics denounce the HK91 9the Germen version), even they must admit that the rifle WORKS. No other rifle (that he tested) came close to matching the 91's brute reliability. It does not break down-EVER-and can be neglected with little risk of failure. (I mean, the Mexican army carries them, if that tells you anything!)
    I now own one for my "End-Of-The-World" battle rifle.

Feedback Score

In Boston's Gun Bible he writes: "However the critics denounce the HK91 9the Germen version), even they must admit that the rifle WORKS. No other rifle (that he tested) came close to matching the 91's brute reliability. It does not break down-EVER-and can be neglected with little risk of failure. (I mean, the Mexican army carries them, if that tells you anything!)
    I now own one for my "End-Of-The-World" battle rifle.

Feedback Score

Take a look at the PTR-GI. As close to the HK-91 as you can find. There is gobs of info on the RDB platform over on Militaryfirearms.com. I don't have a PTR but love my roller-locks.[IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't know about that "little risk of failure if neglected part."

i get a little worried if the rollers show much wear. --

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

My two cents
    I'd go with the M1A (M14 clone) myself, I think it's a much better rifle, the only thing the PTR91/HK91 have going for them is cheap mags.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have the real HKs , the do function well enough IF you got good mags. even they do seem a bit picky about the mags.

i know that the forces that used them had to keep them in tip-top shape as well. they were all ways checking the rollers , head space and so on, the run them pretty hard so yea i figure that things wore and broke on um .

probably not a problem in civilian use -most don't punish a rifle like that -but boots training with them managed to "bend " a few of um.

i think the prices on these things today is insane. i remember when my FFL a HK dealer could get these from HK for $220 +20% mark up and shipping.

now i wish i had bought quite a few more of these . i should have bought a couple in 9mm and 5.56 too--LOL

at todays pricing -- there are plenty of other irons that do as much or more for less $.

if i was going to get a PTR -- i would be partial to that 7.62x39 version, i suspect it would be a very low stress round for the action and as far as i know PTR is the only maker of the 7.62x39 conversion.

it probably takes AK mags too --i can't recall.

if these things were at a deal price -- i think they would get a little more credit . and it has been overshadowed by the FN=FAL for a,long time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't think I'd put that much stock in what someone named "Boston T. Party" has to say about anything.

I own a G3 and have owned a FAL (sold it to a friend for some quick cash recently) and I must say the FAL is hands-down one of the top 3 .308 MBR's available. Period. There is a PLETHORA of information on the Interweb and frankly the discussion boils down to a Ford vs. Chevy discussion. They ALL work well.

I posted a really long comparison of the two a few years ago... http://www.gunco.net/forums/f210/my-...vations-56073/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

at one time CDNN had the 7.62x39 versions for $800 some odd-- and it was a compact version -- it would have been interesting to compare to the AK as the design of each goes back to the late ww2 era--

i don't know if the 16" barreled ones had any practical advantage over an AK --but it would be fun to see how each did firing the same round!

of course a FN-FAL in 7.62x30 looks to be an interesting concept for 7.62x39 as well--LOL

never enough $$$ to explore them all these days.

i wish i had dome more with the FN-FALs and "g"s back when they were plentiful and rather inexpensive. today everything like that is an expensive hobby.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.