Thread: vepr firearms

Feedback Score

Default vepr firearms

Russian VEPR 01 - .308 caliber Semi-Auto Rifle W / 16" BBL. And High Capacity Mag Conversion

Rifle, Russian VEPR .308 caliber rifle, 16.5" chrome-lined BBL, semi-automatic, beautiful walnut wood furniture, heavy target BBL, side rail, includes one 20 round and 1-5 roundmagazine - .308 caliber
    $999.99

I found this interesting rifle at Classic Arms.com. I wonder how good it is? It seems to have a lot going for it-good caliber, semi auto, hi cap mags, fair price (for these days). It looks like it would be a good SHTF rifle to have. Does anybody here know much about it?

Feedback Score

I think .308 is the right caliber for your number one goto rifle.

My favorite in this caliber is a DPMS LR308 bull barrel with ACOG optic. Incredible accuracy. The optic cost more than the rifle so this may be a bit pricy. My only objection to this rifle is heavy weight so I also have the DPMS AP4 in .308 Only a slight reduction in accuracy and much easier to carry.

Also take a look at the FAL. Durable battle rifle that has proven the test of time. Pretty sure Sarco still have like new Argenitine kits for $525. Add a Coonan receiver and you have a real great rifle at a very reasonable price.

Don't know why, but the VEPR just don't trip my trigger. For this design class, I'd stay with the orginal - the AK47. The AK is in a class of its own if you want a weapon that goes bang EVERY time.

Just my 2 cents.

Karl

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Don't know why, but the VEPR just don't trip my trigger. For this design class, I'd stay with the orginal - the AK47.
    The VEPR IS an AK.... built in the same Molot plant that builds them for the military. The only difference here is the caliber.

I have two of them, and have to say that they are the best quality of fit and finish I have seen in an AK. I bought my first, in 5.45x39, with the intent of doing a stock conversion into an RPK-74, but the wood that came on it was so gorgeous that I changed my mind and left it alone. A damn tack driver it is, as well... most accurate AK I have ever shot.

I quickly followed that purchase with another in 7.62x54R, which I have outfitted with Ironwood Design stocks to create somewhat of a Dragunov clone. Most of the VEPRs do have angled rears on the receivers, so a standard stock doesn't work.

I'd get another one in a hearbeat.
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

double
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

I've bought Vepr's in most Russian calabor's, and they are the best of the best in the
    AK field. Very accurate, and reliable. The wood is quite nice, and tough to replace with
    aftermarket parts. If you shop smart, you can still find good buy's.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by jimmy t; 05-12-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Posted twice
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Nice looking rifles zoom

As mentioned, watch around for a better price, I've seen that style for about $200 less, usually the ones in a full stock are closer to the $1k price
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

There are several bolt and semi auto .308 rifles out there that sell for $700-$3,000 (and more). I want to obtain a semi auto that takes hi-cap mags. This VEPR does not cost much more than Ruger's "Scout Rifle." Most M4s and Mini-14s are close to this price.
    The VEPR is based on the AK47 action. But, is it as dependable? I don't know! Zoom6zoom gives it high marks. He has 2. If I could run across one in a local gun store where I could see and handle it, I might buy it.
    Anyhow, for the times, I do not think it is so overpriced.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

One of my friends brought by a Vepr 12 gauge Saturday, and I have to admit it was the most drool worthy firearm I have seen in a long time. I don't know the exact model designation on that one, but it's the full on tactical model with the "push in" magwell(instead of the standard rock in AK type) and rails. That was seriously one of the best fit and finish firearms I've seen in a LONG time. Made my Saiga 12 look like a piece of crap!! LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

VEPR comes from the "other" plant that doesn't make Saigas. They are known for their higher level of fit-and-finish. They ALWAYS command a higher price. The only down-side is the angled back of the receiver. That can be "repaired" to a standard back via welding a shim into place, but obviously requires the right equipment to do that. Spot welding would probably not do the trick.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.