Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World War ll M1 Garands. Interesting history of the weapon..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Yes, the article does kind of lead one to believe their really is no such thing as an "Original WWII" Garand..
    Seems so many changes were made, improvements, etc. Even during the Troops time in the field.
    Quite a few G.I.s started out during the war years as National Guard, or Reserve.. They were called to action first.
    Our neighborhood, as a kid, had a lot of Garands that nice Sargent's just happened to overlook, when the Troops came home at wars end.. Jap machine guns, hell captured weapons of all kinds "de-milled" we played Army in the school yard with..
    My God we probably had a million dollars in weapons you guys could have made work again. They actually just put lead or whatever down the barrels. Ah the good old days..
    If kids did that now in a school yard, SWAT would have the place surrounded.. Hell in Connecticut as kids, we used to walk two miles with our shotguns, to shoot poor chipmunks.. Police just told us to be careful. Sad how times have changed..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a late war Winchester that is a mix of parts. Hell I think the only thing that is Winchester is the receiver. One of these days I'm gonna put it back "original", an expensive endeavor.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yes, the article does kind of lead one to believe their really is no such thing as an "Original WWII" Garand..
    I'm sure there's some "original" Garands around, their most likely in museums or high end collectors stashes that never see the light of day.

I feel I got lucky when I found mine, guy at a show had a table full of them, most were very rough. Only three past the generic bullet test, so I concentrated on those and a friend helped me decide on the one I picked, $320 and another $25 for a stock from another guy at the same show (the one on the rifle had a crack).

And yes I had to ask my friend how to load it to avoid getting a "Garand thumb" so I wouldn't embarrass myself at the range, actually I think these are easier on your thumb then getting an Hakim thumb
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

There's nothing quite like shooting an M1 Garand. VERY solid feeling, very manageable recoil, shoot it as fast as you can pull the trigger, right times, and "PING!"

BLAM.
    BLAM.
    BLAM.
    BLAM.
    BLAM.
    BLAM.
    BLAM.
    BLAM.
    PING!

Member of the National Rifle Association (Life/Endowment); Gun Owners of America (Life); Garand Collectors Association; National Shooting Sports Foundation. CCW License Holder in MO. FFL 03 License Holder.

Check out my Gun and Gear channel on YouTube:
    VDMA VIDEOS.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

IMG_1083.jpgIMG_1103.jpg

Here's the Garand, 1903, and M-14 that I picked up this year.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

555th. Is that an 03 Springfield? Last Nam reunion in Melbourne, I spoke with a Marine sniper. Carlos Hatcock, according to him, had established himself early.. So he started tutoring others, of which this Troop was one of them.
    They loved the weapon, but the Govt. made them switch to I think Winchester mod. 70s??? He said both nice, but the Springfield was lighter and supreme accuracy..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    555th. Is that an 03 Springfield? Last Nam reunion in Melbourne, I spoke with a Marine sniper. Carlos Hatcock, according to him, had established himself early.. So he started tutoring others, of which this Troop was one of them.
    They loved the weapon, but the Govt. made them switch to I think Winchester mod. 70s??? He said both nice, but the Springfield was lighter and supreme accuracy..

Yeah 4th, it's a Springfield M1903 Mark 1. This version is a little older than the 03A4s that the Marine snipers used. It has the receiver cutout for the use of a "Pederson Device" and may have at some time in it's service been used with a scope. The side of the receiver has three tapped holes. Here is the NRA link to some info on the Pederson Device. It's a shame that all of the devices were destroyed after WWI.
    http://nramuseum.com/guns/the-galler...en-device.aspx
    Last edited by 555th; 12-24-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add link

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Great articles great links. Thank you guys..

Yes, the Marine had a "Marine Sniper" hat on at the reunion so I just sat and got to talking with him.. Real nice fellow, no bragging or any of that. I started the questions and the stories so things just went on from their..
    I am by no means a weapon expert, so it would have been interesting for one of yall to talk with him.
    Again it was just Vet to Vet in our conversation and he got into his actions at Tet and the battle at Hue.. Things he would not speak of, I am sure, to non Vets..
    But thanks to that program kernel spoke of, I am assuming it is the one he was telling me about. Hathcock and others really helped him become a good sniper.. He and his fellow sniper really had a turkey shoot at Hue.
    He got into explaining the weapons but he kind of lost me.. Wish yall were their to better understand..
    Nice weapons 555th, great article kernel..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Somewhere around here I have an American Rifleman from the 60s with an article about the brand new Marine sniper program, complete with pics of Hathcock way before he became famous. Got another one where he won the Wimbledon Cup, IIRC. Besides a Winchester 70, Hathcock made a few distance record kills with a scoped Ma Deuce! I believe the record stood until the Canadians beat it a few years ago. OTOH, I got a feelin' his Ma Deuce wasn't quite the finely tuned equipment the Canadians were using!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.