Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World War ll M1 Garands. Interesting history of the weapon..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default World War ll M1 Garands. Interesting history of the weapon..

By Mike “Duke” Venturino, GUNS Magazine

In American minds, one rifle stands head and shoulders above all others used in World War II. That is the US Rifle, Caliber .30 M1, most commonly referred to as the Garand, after its primary designer John C. Garand.

I’ve been of that mind too since about age 13. What I didn’t know until I bought a few Garands, and, perhaps more importantly, a few books about them, is that most of the US rifle, Caliber .30, M1s available today are not as they were issued to GIs and Marines in WWII.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/16/wo...#ixzz2oBKSTfJV
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

The only U.S. rifle named after it's inventor .
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

what about Browning? such as BAR Browning Automatic Rifle

Feedback Score

Krag, Johnson come to mind.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

In American minds, one rifle stands head and shoulders above all others used in World War II.
    To me it's because it's the first semi-auto rifle deployed in large numbers, yes it's a high quality rifle too, but at that time every other nation in the world were still using bolt action rifles as their primary infantry rifle.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Eugene is kind of theoretically correct. When even non gun people hear "Garand." It gets associated with the Man.
    I really do not know much about them, fired one at Ft. Polk at the range. Got my thumb stuck in the bolt, D.I. boot in my ass and tears in my eyes.. Never touched one since..
    But if the article is correct. It is almost impossible to get an "original" used in WWII, completely intact, not retrofitted.. The sight information I found interesting. Guys must have really had to adjust with the original ones?
    Just assumed all Troops had them. But the Marines were still using bolt action at the start of Guadalcanal. I found that interesting..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

IIRC the US did the lend lease thing to the Brits. Included were a small number of Garands. These unused rifles (some stocks mismatched) were imported pre 68 and had Brit proof marks. At the time they were snubbed like the Italian Garands? Bruce Canfield(?) wrote an article claiming these were just about the closest to a matching WWII as possible.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Your right but I never think about Browning .
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoboy2 View Post
    what about Browning? such as BAR Browning Automatic Rifle
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Good article 4th, I just this year have gotten into US military rifles. Not counting ARs.. Earlier this year I picked up a Springfield M1 Garand from a collector in WV. BigAl got a couple of them to put back for his boys and of course BlueJack had grab a few also. I think I got the luck of the draw, mine ended up having an excellent bore and in overall very good condition. The first time I shot it, I got my thumb pinched by the bolt. Didn't have a DI there to whip me with a cleaning rod, but BigAl was there to laugh his ass off at my "Garand thumb"!!

Picked up a couple more US rifles at Knob Creek this fall. A Springfield Model 1903 Mark 1. Looks like a new one!! This model has the cut out for the Pederson device which you could attach to the rifle and fire 30 cal pistol rounds semi-auto.
    I also picked up an M14. It is a parts kit gun built on an Semi receiver.

I'll post some pics of them when I get a chance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

DOWWWW, nothing smarts much more than "M1 Thumb" !!!!!

Been there done that,,,,,I know my thumb don't chamber well in them !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.