Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sighting in an SKS Advice?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Sighting in an SKS Advice?

I guess an SKS isn't a full size battle rifle but there really isn't a section for an SKS here. Guess I coulda put it in the AK forum. Move me where i need to go Mods (if need be)

I have a Norinco I've never shot before. It had the mystery "west cost" rail already on it so I had Converta mount put on and I found this cool little 2.5x Chinese scope for it. Has Bullet Drop Reticule to 400m. Had Kivaari (Tom Prince) set me up a two stage trigger at 5.5lbs. Will probably cut off the front third of the Converta mount. Probably should have fired it before I went this far down the road - huh.

I've never sighted in let alone fired and SKS before. I believe I've read if you sight in a .223 AR at 25yds it should be good a100. If you sight in a .308 (M1a, AR10, etc) at 50yds it should be at 200.

Any rules of thumb like this when getting started from the 1st shot? I hope it's a decent shooter. I know I shouldn't expect much after a couple hundred yards. I don't have too much tied up into it but a lot of time. I really don't enjoy shooting my Yugo underfolder AK and I have HEAPS of x39 ammo.

Also. Is it true these barrels widen their groups after 5-10 rds?

Crappy pics but I had to use the smart phone. Lost my "real" camera.

Last edited by GS455; 06-14-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think the same thing can be used for the SKS and AK?
    But here's a couple links on an AK at 25 yards, and it's suppose to be close at 100 by doing it this way, well at least with open sights but it might be the same with a scope.
    http://www.theakforum.net/files/ZERO-AK47.pdf

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/sightin2.shtml
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I would defiantly add another ring to the scope first, and ,,,IF,,, it does manage to stay in place with only 1 ring ,, it could damage the scope with only 1 ring.

My go to for sighting in most anything is,,,,shoot 2 well controlled rounds off a double sand bag or machine rest on a sight in target then adjust the # of clicks required to get the group to the X ring. That will get you real close, at least close enough for fine adjustments. Most guns I bore sight first with the bolt out, but with many platforms with barrels below the gas tube ,,you won't be able to.

That's my method 99% of the time on guns you can't see down the barrel on. And I'm usually dead on after 4-5 rounds, and if not,,,,,

it just gives me an excuse to shoot a bit more ammo anyhow !! That's fine with me!!!

Both my Yugo SKS's don't stray at all after a few rounds, or even allot of rounds for that matter and I don't recall that my Norinco did either. For a Chinese gun ,, those Norinco's are really decent, at least the ones I've had have all been good shooters. It's almost a shame to shoot it though, I doubt you'll ever find another unfired one! The're hard enough to find now as it is, and an unfired one is almost impossible to find nowadays.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    I would defiantly add another ring to the scope first, and ,,,IF,,, it does manage to stay in place with only 1 ring ,, it could damage the scope with only 1 ring.

My go to for sighting in most anything is,,,,shoot 2 well controlled rounds off a double sand bag or machine rest on a sight in target then adjust the # of clicks required to get the group to the X ring. That will get you real close, at least close enough for fine adjustments. Most guns I bore sight first with the bolt out, but with many platforms with barrels below the gas tube ,,you won't be able to.

That's my method 99% of the time on guns you can't see down the barrel on. And I'm usually dead on after 4-5 rounds, and if not,,,,,

it just gives me an excuse to shoot a bit more ammo anyhow !! That's fine with me!!!

Both my Yugo SKS's don't stray at all after a few rounds, or even allot of rounds for that matter and I don't recall that my Norinco did either. For a Chinese gun ,, those Norinco's are really decent, at least the ones I've had have all been good shooters. It's almost a shame to shoot it though, I doubt you'll ever find another unfired one! The're hard enough to find now as it is, and an unfired one is almost impossible to find nowadays.
    Oh I'm sure it's been fired. I just haven't fired it nor any SKS.

So you don't like one ring on the scope wi one ring. I get it about holding zero but not about damage. What could happen?

So do you start at 25yds?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I would start at 25, and use your judgment how far to go to next.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Possibly crack a lens, even though a X39 isn't all that a hard a recoiling gun ,,,but it could happen pretty easy,,and possibly it will just drive you crazy trying to zero it besides. I've had one of those mounts before too and you'll need to use a small square Swiss pattern file to make another notch for the second ring, or better yet mill out another slot,, or even better yet,,,, a better scope, those scopes like you have there,well,, they suck to be honest. There's lots better options available.

If your budget is not hurting to bad,,, I really like the Sig CQB scopes, they ran around $120 when I got this one I have, depending on where you look, I forget if there 3X or 4X??? But I think it's 3X. I have one of those on my Sig AR ,,and love it,,and @ 100 meters I can bounce beer cans around all day with it, even shot a few golf balls with it at that range with no issues, don't hit them every time,,,but so damn close, they jump, so I ain't missing by very much! And have done 2 head shots on deer at that range too. It has real cross hairs , so you don't need the red or green light on to see them, its not a dot scope, but it has that option. It has the descending triangle type cross hairs with BDC for 223 ranging, won't help much on a X39, but can when you figure out the drop of the X39. What ever you use, just keep your scope short so you don't end up with one of those those goofy, bulky, POS China mounts that need a shell deflector to keep from damaging your scope from the ejected brass/steel cases. There's lots of pretty good ones out there in the CQB scopes, reasonable enough, but save yourself money in the long run and check them out in person to find what you like best. True Glow make some decent ones too for short bucks also. The mount you have is fine for any of those.

Enjoy that SKS I've always liked the ones I've had and still have , there a decently accurate gun and cheap to shoot.

Feedback Score

I have tried loads of mounts on SKS,s, the vast majority are useless. I now use BC Tactical scout mounts with a Bushnell TRS 25 on top and nothing else. They are rock solid, and there is no need to remove the sight for cleaning, and are neat and tidy and do the business.

Last edited by stalker1; Today at 01:15 AM. Reason: had to piss

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I now use BC Tactical scout mounts
    Is that Butler Creek?

How's that 30 round mag working for you, do you swap 'em out or just keep that one on there all the time?
    I had one and it sucked, I like the Chinese 20 rnd that is like the original, still have to use stripper clips though.

Yeah the top cover mounts are iffy, most of them have the pin hole too large and they move while firing. They use to make them with a smaller hole so you had to fit it to your gun, those actually worked well if done right, but the down side is it's fitted to one gun and if put on another it most likely had play.

Feedback Score

BC Tactical is a Canadian firm............ Custom made rifle accessories | Remington 700, CZ 858, VZ 58 | BC Tactical

I think you can get them a few bucks cheaper here....... BC Tactical SKS Picatinny Rail - Wanstalls Online

The BC stands for British Columbia.

That 30 round mag worked fine, but could not be inserted unless the bolt was in the open position. It was just an experiment,I don't bother with them any more. I have an SKS D that takes AK mags anyway.

Apart from not fitting correctly, the top cover mounts always have to be removed to clean the gun. Not so bad if if you are using non corrosive I suppose, but a pain if you are.

SKS rifles are still cheap up here but the Bushnell red dots and the scout mounts are not. $200 for the rifle and another $200 to buy and instal the optics. Trouble is I need optics nowadays.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    and an unfired one is almost impossible to find nowadays.
    But they seem to last forever, even if they are not loved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.