PE 57 shooting
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shortfal
  • 2 Post By Sprat

Thread: PE 57 shooting

Feedback Score

Default PE 57 shooting

Got a parts set, rec. repair section and .308 barrel at the Creek. Put it together since then and shot 40 Radway Green thru it today. Feeding firing and ejecting fairly well with the unaltered locking piece. Was told the locking piece needed to have the angles altered for .308 to function. That does not appear to be the case with mine shooting the RG.
    Wondering how many of you out there have built a 57 with one of Mikes .308 barrels and what you did re the locking piece angles.
    It's a heavy beast but looks like it'll be a good shooter.
    Pete in St. Louis
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Pete

I m a member here also, Pyrotex has a working rifle in 308 I am sure he will chime in. As you know mine is still in production. glad to have been a help and you send along a few pictures, now that you have test fired her

sprat ( Jack)
    Tommo and nutznboltz like this.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Quite happy with the build result. I'm up to about 250 rds. thru it with only 2 or 3 empties not fully clearing the ejection port after extracting. Happy to not to have had to recut the locking piece angles for the .308. Mag feeds perfect with the front sides bent in just a bit. Would not feed till I did that. Was concerned about it shooting to point of aim considering how high the sight line is above the barrel. Ok though, with the rear drum down all the way on 1 and front and rear windage centered. Wishing I'd remembered to weld a piece of rail on top so I could scope it for serious accuracy checking. Maybe later.
    Bolt gap was too large with the barrel torqued in. made a .005 shim to get the .5 to 1.0MM. Closed up below the .5 after about 150 rds. Made a .003 shim and got .8MM gap. Thinking it'll probably hold there. Was surprised how little shim change changed the gap so much.
    Gunlab has my pics and Chuck says he is going to do a piece on the build as well as tooling I made to repress the corners of the rec. tube to get them squared up enough to fit the trunion corners.
    Pete in St. Louis

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.