City of Los Angeles
High School Math Proficiency Exam
1. Johnny has an AK-47 with an 80-round clip. If he misses 6 out
of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive-by shooting, how
many drive-by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?
2. Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8-ball to
Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram. What is
the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut
3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for
each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus
can pay for his $800-per-day crack habit?
4. Jarone want to cut his 1/2 pound of heroin to make 20% more
profit. How many ounces of cut will he need?
5. Willie gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for a Chevy, and $100 for a 4X4.
If he has stolen 2 BMWs, 3 4X4s, how many Chevies will he have to steal to make $800?
6. Raoul is in prison for 6 years for murder. He got $10,000 for
the hit. If his common law wife is spending $100 per month, how
much money will be left when he gets out of prison and how many
years will he get for killing the bitch that spent his money?
7. If the average spray can covers 22 square feet and the
average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can a tagger
spray with 3 cans of paint?
8. Hector knocked up 6 girls in his gang. There are 27 girls in
the gang. What percentage of the girls in the gang has Hector
9. Thelma can cook dinner for her 16 children for $7.50 per
night. She gets $234 a month welfare for each child. If her $325
per month rent goes up 15%, how many more children should she
have to keep up with her expenses?
10. Salvador was arrested for dealing crack and his bail was set
at $25,000. If he pays a bail bondsman 12% and returns to
Mexico, how much money will he lose by jumping bail?