Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decommissioned missile silos.

Feedback Score

Default Decommissioned missile silos.

Have you guys seen links to these old abandoned missile silos that people are buying and turning into residences?

This one isn't too far from me. Pretty dam cool. This would be an ideal lair for me to build and launch my orbiting space laser.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Yeah there are lots of those that have been turned into some really cool homes.

Wish I had the funds. ;-)

Feedback Score

Absolutely. Seems like that would also make pretty good sites for server farms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I would hope the Russkies have retargeted their missiles by now, but you know beaurocracy.... IIRC, they shot down one or more of their own planes when they got Power's U2 because the new IFF codes weren't entered into the planes yet. It would suck to own one of these and get a MIRV down the air vent someday.....

Feedback Score

I was thinking the same thing, actually, but in the event of all out Armageddon, there aren't gonna be too many GOOD places to be!

I was just trying to think of something productive to do with the actual missile silo. It's deep.... so what do you do with it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Other than your own personal rocket, little comes to mind unless you go commercial for storage. Or you could recreate Stargate Command in there and charge admission for people to come in and role play with airsoft? Get your own permanent Carter, Frazier, and Keller lookalikes to play along with the customers, you will have a waiting list so long......

Feedback Score

I saw on TV a while back some company was buying these up and turning them into doomsday retreats or whatever you want to call them, setting them up complete with your own condo and all the comforts of home. They were selling spots in them fast as they could build them too.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score

Maybe turn the silo into some sort of multi level workshop. Os possibly a swimming pool that is very deep, but not very long and wide.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The "swimming pool" will need to be drained and kept dry if you plan on working/living in one in most areas. A silo complex is essentially a complex well, most are below water tables.

I've been in some drier ones in South Dakota, they're damp nonetheless. Not good for server farms or survival life without pumping out on a continuous basis.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

The actual control rooms (which are separate from the silo itself) must have been dry enough, because they kept plenty of computer equipment in them back in the day.

Moisture would definitely be an issue though. I wonder what sort of techniques they used to keep them as dry as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.