Gunco Forums banner

Decommissioned missile silos.

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 ·
Have you guys seen links to these old abandoned missile silos that people are buying and turning into residences?

This one isn't too far from me. Pretty dam cool. This would be an ideal lair for me to build and launch my orbiting space laser. :smoke:

#4 ·
I would hope the Russkies have retargeted their missiles by now, but you know beaurocracy.... IIRC, they shot down one or more of their own planes when they got Power's U2 because the new IFF codes weren't entered into the planes yet. It would suck to own one of these and get a MIRV down the air vent someday.....

#5 ·
I was thinking the same thing, actually, but in the event of all out Armageddon, there aren't gonna be too many GOOD places to be!

I was just trying to think of something productive to do with the actual missile silo. It's deep.... so what do you do with it?

#6 ·
Other than your own personal rocket, little comes to mind unless you go commercial for storage. Or you could recreate Stargate Command in there and charge admission for people to come in and role play with airsoft? Get your own permanent Carter, Frazier, and Keller lookalikes to play along with the customers, you will have a waiting list so long......

#7 ·
I saw on TV a while back some company was buying these up and turning them into doomsday retreats or whatever you want to call them, setting them up complete with your own condo and all the comforts of home. They were selling spots in them fast as they could build them too.

#9 ·
The "swimming pool" will need to be drained and kept dry if you plan on working/living in one in most areas. A silo complex is essentially a complex well, most are below water tables.

I've been in some drier ones in South Dakota, they're damp nonetheless. Not good for server farms or survival life without pumping out on a continuous basis.

#10 ·
The actual control rooms (which are separate from the silo itself) must have been dry enough, because they kept plenty of computer equipment in them back in the day.

Moisture would definitely be an issue though. I wonder what sort of techniques they used to keep them as dry as possible.

#11 ·
The control rooms (and personnel quarters) I explored were placed at a slightly higher elevation than the bottom of the missile silos themselves, but the damp nature of a non-conditioned environment (conditioning stopped when they abandoned the silos) was evident everywhere.

Silos used to be easy to spot here. Electrical lines going to the middle of a bare prairie land and stopping were the obvious sign of a silo complex. They worked on a combination of commercial power, generator and battery bank. The battery banks were huge but were the power of last resort. Similarly the diesel generators were large with multi-thousand gallon tanks to feed them.

With decommissioning, much of the silos has been salvaged so that there is little left other than the underground rooms and silos, themselves.

#13 ·
If I hit the lottery I would definitely buy one and recondition it into a personal home and massive car storage space. Put in a nice elevator for cars, indoor shooting range, maybe a bowling alley. LOL. It would definitely be expensive to convert and then maintain, but I think it would be a fun and interesting way to live. Plus it will make it harder for anything to get you when the Zombie Apocalypse happens. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.