Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6.5mm Grendel Concept Rifle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

THANK YOU RHINO! I'm leaning toward recommending a .308 bolt myself.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    LOL drums on a "DMR" build. You're cracking me up!
    LOL hey with a 24" barrel and a bipod I think it qualifies as a DMR and an RPK right?

I don't think I'd want to destroy a .308 Saiga just to get its trunnion and bolt.

You know I remembered something Meeper biult his Beowulf AK out of a standard trunniion and bolt, wouldn't that put a lot more stress on them than the 6.5mm G? I also remember him saying he wouldn't do it on an RPK trunnion, but I think that had to do with the Beowulf barrel itself. I can't remember why though for sure.
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

As promised...

Right: .308 Bolt
    Left: 7.62x39 AMD-65 Bolt

Right: .308 Bolt
    Left: 7.62x39 AMD-65 Bolt

Top: 7.62x39 AMD-65 Bolt
    Bottom: Saiga .308 Bolt

Saiga .308 with magazine inserted into trunnion

Last edited by Rhino_66; 07-29-2005 at 07:07 PM.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Wow that is a bit beefier, but the lugs are different so without chopping up a Saiga I don't see how to use it.
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Call Tantal and see if he can get you a Saiga carrier, bolt, and trunnion. He carries some/most of the Saiga shotgun parts, so .308 shouldn't be a stretch.

EDITED TO ADD: The Saiga trunnion is only bulged on one side.

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Call? Doesnt he only do things by email? Would the .308 trunnion stil work with the 7.62x39 mags?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I think you're right about contacting Tantal... E-mail him...

Just tried a Hungarian 20-rnd in my Saiga. The shape of the mag hole in the receiver keeps me from inserting the mag all the way. Also, there would be a little massaging that needs to be done to the trunnion to allow the front of the magazine to go in completely. It could be done with one of the cone-shaped grinding stones, but a mill would be WAY easier. It's the spot just under the locking lugs that would need adjusting. This area tapers on both sides. I think it could be done, it would just take a lot of fitting and grinding.

There's a similar thread, right now, about converting converting a Yugo to .308. Maybe the thing to do would be to just use the 7.62 Yugo parts (scrapped bore kit) for the 6.5 conversion, since the Yugo's beefier than a standard AK. That would save a lot of fitting problems, and provide a use for those kits with trashed bores.

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

That 308 bolt looks like it may have started from a raw 74 bolt blank.Is that bevelled bump part of the bullet guide?Or trunnion?Looks like the bottom of the bolt has a little "add on " lug.Does the 308 VEPR use the same system.I know where I can look at one of those.
    If I was going to get all 308 bits I'd just build it 308.Mags and ammo aplenty.I'd love to have just a 308 Yugo.But it was my thinking (yipes) that it was a bit too much of a cartridge for the regular stuff.That's why this Grendel thing got my interest.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score

Rhino, thats excatly what I am thinking of doing. Using a Yugo kit.
    I just got off the phone with Meeper and he thought that using a standard AKM trunnion and bolt or the RPK trunnion and bolt would both be fine. The bad news was he said he wasn't taking any work for about a year.
    So I need to re-read back though this thread and see exactly where I can find the chamber reamers, barrels, and who could lathe the barrel to a M77 profile. Also need to figure out about head space gauges and what to do about the feed ramp.
    I wonder how the rails would have to be modified for the 6.5mm?

Hmmm too much to think about at once.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pupwag
    .That's why this Grendel thing got my interest.
    Matt -- what rings my chimes is the cartridge length.

Little modification other than turn a barrel to fit.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.