Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6.5mm Grendel Concept Rifle

Feedback Score

Default The 6.5mm Grendel Concept Rifle

Lets see if we can have some real fun with this one. Who's willing to help out? We're just looking for ideas here. Anyone good with photoshop?

At this point all we know is we're looking for a 6.5mm AK.
    Given the caliber I think a DMR type rifle is the best config to go with, but what do you all think?

Now what about mags? Maybe I can cut and paste what has already been discussed in another thread.
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score

From another thread:
    Polish Taipan: Good question is could you get grendel ammo to work in an AK magazine? Just off the top of my head I would think the 5.45 mag would work best, but I forget the oal of the grendel. I'm not sure what thread its in but Templar suggested a milled reciever for a grendel based AK. I like the idea. I may start another thread to see if we could get a concept rifle going. Photoshopped concept of course. (At least at first).
    Ordananceguy: Nice! I'm still kicking one of those cartridges around, in my head.

Grendel ammo should work in the AK mag, with mods. The base case is the 7.62x39, but the taper was taken out of it. So would that make it closer to the 5.45? I don't have a Grendel case to try out.

Edit: Grendel OAL is about the same as 5.56 and 6.8 SPC, all to fit in the 5.56 mag length. Grendel bullet seems to be seated further out. 6.8 SPC mag has shallower flutes in the mag sides, to accommodate the fatter cartridge, compared to 5.56.
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Bulgarian or Polish 5.56mm mags, which have little taper, would probably work best.

Milled receiver.

Galil style safety.

RSA style 2-stage trigger.

Galil style front and rear sights.

18" semi-heavy fluted barrel, non chrome lined.

Brugger & Thomet rail system.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score

Damn Man, you just layed it out. I like your ideas. What about the buttstock? I'm thinking Ace folder with the extra cheekrest. With a custom barrel I can see having the Galil front sight but what to do about the rear sight. I knwo you could use a Galil topcover but what about where the regular AK sight would be, what do you do whith that? I'm also thinking this one should have a 20" barrel. What about the Krebs rail system instead of the B&T? TDI also has a killer looking new handguard system but I'm not sure it would work with a milled reciever.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

18" will give you a better balance, and you really aren't going to get better ballistics with a 20", at least not enough to justify the longer barrel.

You could use the rear sight base area as a means to attach a scope mount over the dustcover.

I could see going two different ways with the buttstock......either a side folder like the FN/Galil/SAKO/ACE style, or a fixed stock like the updated Bulgarian M9 "batwing" style.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Feedback Score

Hmmmm the Batwing....since they Bularians don't have a DMR of their own, should we make one for them? !8" sounds good. Weld a rail to the AK rear sight base huh? Sounds good, would itr get in the way of the Galil rear sight?

Feedback Score

Here's the new TDI X-47 Rail system and I swear I've seen a pic of one on a Galil that someone posted here.

That rail that extended back over the top cover looks just short enough to allow for the Galil rear sight. After thinking about it I don't know why this couldn't be modded to work with a milled reciever.
    Lets see just for the visual the other possible parts of the rifle.
    Ace stock with the cheekrest:

Bulgarian In Line Buttstock:

What about the muzzle brake or flash suppressor?

Feedback Score

Ohhhh how about this for a working model?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Been there, done that...........a coupla times.......

"RPG kaboom tank!"

Feedback Score

I always enjoy seeing that one Templar. How likely do you think something like this could be made? What did you think of the TDI rail system?

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.