Gunco Forums banner

Yugo .308 conversion

8K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Sangrun Hunter 
#1 ·
Hello.

I need some advice before starting this project. I am going to convert a m-70 yugo into an m-77 (.308), or something very close to it.
I am just trying to figure out the right system for this.

I wish to have a long barrel, (20 to 24 inches). It seems either surplus or a barrel blank is the way to go.

The idea is to keep everything as close to the M-77 design as I can.
After I get the barrel complete milled and installed in the trunnion, I will work on the bolt, bolthead and gastube.

I will then work on the reciever ect.

Well I need ideas, so what ever you guys could help with will be appreciated.

#30 ·
Celtic Pagan: Sorry it took so long to answer your ?s. The Yugo trunnion is heavier built than my Saiga .308. I will most likely use a barrel blank and try to make a medium weight heavy barrel. The Romy FPLs are notoriusly innaccurate due to a light bbl and whip. Use a Cold Steel 80% rec. it has plenty of room for the HK mags. It is slightly out of spec., rear trunnion area is slightly too large. measure twice, cut once. Built like a brick shithouse.

#31 ·
308 yugo

I was attempting this a while back. My 308 saiga reciever has the mag well pushed foward about 1/2 and a different bolt, thickened to take up the space of moving the barrel foward to accomadate the mag. The russians didn't modify the standard rec just moved the mag well foward. you can get replacment saiga parts such as 308 bolt. you'd need a 308 trunion or redo the yugo by moving the trunions mag catch area foward by 1/2. it might be easied for someone to come up with a 308 trunion and copy it. the saiga trunion has one buldge milled off the other russian gun doesn't (can't remember the name) all you need is a 308 trunion and bolt. bingo your in business. Bubba

#32 ·
A couple of days ago I started working on the trunnion so I could get the G3 mag inserted. I thined the walls and will end up puttin the front bottom rivit hole up some.

I think there is plenty of room working with the yugo trunnion. It has been a few weeks and I have not recieved my barrels. Work is at a stop until the barrels get figured

#35 ·
Preacher said:
I know Cephus is considering doing the same thing. His PC crashed so he won't be back on for a few days. I'm sure he'll share ideas with you.
oh not again! guess i know where we'll be this weekend :D hope to see you, preacher :D

#36 ·
I think it would a whole lot less work and yield a better finished product to attempt this with a 22" barreled Saiga .308. At that point your 80% done. Fit a new gas block, lower retainer, and front sight and slap on your Yugo furniture and you have your gun. Plus you already have the scope mount on the Saiga.

As far as magazines, real .308 M77 mags arent easy to come by and I know Krebs converted some Saiga .308s to take M14 mags.

#38 ·
DaveGP said:
The 308 Galil bolt and carrier is identical to the usual AK family except for the bolt face opening...just some food for thought!
We covered the bolt deal in another thread too. There are so many people talking about this and actaully starting to work on these that I am goig to create a seperate builders category and transfer all the .308 threads into it. It looks like some of us are not even reading or seeing what others are posting and taking pics of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.