Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yugo .308 conversion

Feedback Score

Has anyone done a saiga .308 conversion to take G3 mags?

I have a old tapco flat that I destroyed in a failed attempt to bend without as jig some time ago. While taking measurements it seems that if you cut the trigger guard back 3/8ths of an inch and weld it back together you won have to modify the reciever as much. I might not be able to shoot with a thick ass glove but it is plenty wide enough. The magazine housing for the G3 mag must encompas the first two holes of the selector stop and the trigger guard so when you move them back you have to modify the selector stop to stop. It would be easy enough to weld a small stop at the original spot. Clean it up a bit and it could look nice.

The G3 mags are going to need modified. They need the mag catch tab of the AK, and a bigger lip in the front. I will cut around the tab of some AK mags and weld them to some steel G3's I have. I will weld a front lip and grind it to the right fatness. There are other ways but I am going to try this first.

m03
    Feedback Score

Does SOG still have M-76 kits? Seems like it'd be cheaper and easier to start out with a Yugo that was already set up for 7.62x51 from the factory.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by m03
    Does SOG still have M-76 kits? Seems like it'd be cheaper and easier to start out with a Yugo that was already set up for 7.62x51 from the factory.
    I'm pretty sure the M-76 is 8mm.

Feedback Score

The M77 shoots the 7.62x51 the M76 shoots the 7.92x57 ( 8mm). I am going to try to build both.

From what I can gather the M76 kits are $500. ORF is selling the recievers for $400+ that is over $900.

yugo kit $89 + shipping
    Reciever $100 + transfer
    Barrel $ 45 + shipping
    barrel turned down $ 100
    $30 hardware
    Total less that $400

And that uses the very common and cheap G3 20 round mags!!

I love the heavy calibers and the AK platform. I cant afford $900 for any weapon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah I think the .308 AK builds have a different bolt system. I think Rhino has one and could possibly post pics. There is some worry about the strength of a 7.62x39 bolt, I don't know if I'd chance this myself. I need to see what a Galil or Saiga .308 bolt looks like before I can say for sure.

m03
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by CELTIC-PAGAN
    The M77 shoots the 7.62x51 the M76 shoots the 7.92x57 ( 8mm). I am going to try to build both.
    Doesn't the M76 come in both 7.62x51 and 7.92x57 variations?

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn65-e.htm

Apparently the kits from the cut-up imports from SOG were all in 8mm (7.92x57), so that doesn't help anyway.

Feedback Score

I stand corrected. I did not know there were other calibers for the M76.

That web page says it is a two lug locking system so I have my answer on that ..

Feedback Score

I compared my .308 Saiga, the differences were minor. The differences in the bolts was due to the Saiga being built from AK103/AK74 parts. It appeared to me they had less machine processes on the Saiga bolt. I for one am planning on a .308 Yugo that takes HK mags. The Saiga .308 has a 27mm bbl o.d. The Yugo has a 23mm bbl o.d. std to most Euro AKs, but a very strong trunnion to make up for the 4mm. (23mm is very close to the barrel shank O.D. of most mauser base cartridges) IMOP

Feedback Score

sct1886 Thank you for your info. What are you going to do for a barrel? Also, are you going to modify the hk mags or are you going to modify the reciever?
    To me it seems easier to modify the mags.

Does the saiga .308 have a RPK trunion? I thought it did. Plus you said the saiga barrel od was 4mm bigger, if so I might have to mill out some of my trunnion to 27mm to be safe> I dont know. I would like to know what the M76 barrel o.d. is?

Feedback Score

I have not decided whether to use a FAL bbl and front end. I already have built a Cold Steel rec., it would easily accomadate an HK mag. The Saiga has an modified RPK trunnion. I personally will use a 23mm o.d. bbl. The Yugo trunnion IMOP more than makes up for the 4mm. The Yugo was built way overkill to launch rifle grenades. Best Regards Scott

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.