Gunco Forums banner

Yugo .308 conversion

8K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Sangrun Hunter 
#1 ·
Hello.

I need some advice before starting this project. I am going to convert a m-70 yugo into an m-77 (.308), or something very close to it.
I am just trying to figure out the right system for this.

I wish to have a long barrel, (20 to 24 inches). It seems either surplus or a barrel blank is the way to go.

The idea is to keep everything as close to the M-77 design as I can.
After I get the barrel complete milled and installed in the trunnion, I will work on the bolt, bolthead and gastube.

I will then work on the reciever ect.

Well I need ideas, so what ever you guys could help with will be appreciated.

#4 ·
bsn said:
Chamber pressure for the 7.62X39 is 38,000 the .308 is 52,000 I would be a little worried about the strength of the bolt lock up.

They have made both Galils, Valmets and Yugos in .308. And the Yugo's used stamped RPK type receivers.

#8 ·
so far

This idea got me phyched. I started looking and found several possibilities for barrels.

I just ordered a like new 1919 barrel, as well as a mauser barrel. I suppose I will try both the m77 and the m76. Both of these barrels are supposed to be in like new condition.

The tool tent is in town this week , I am going to buy one of their metal lathes for three hunded bucks, and start turning.

I need specs for both guns (M76-M77) I believe Templar has one of these variants maybe he can help , or anyone here.

My plan is to modify the reciever to take g3 mags. I believe I will have to move many of the holes to the rear almost a half an inch to make everthing work. I also have to modify the hammer to work.

Anyone with a siaga .308, a vepr .308, or an M77 please pipe in. I would like to copy the holes for a template.

Any ideas on the piston length, or the gas block placement?

I am also considering buying another nagant barrel and try for a 7.62x54r romanian clone.

#9 ·
Last night I removed all the components from my M70. Front sight, gas block, handguard retainer, trunnion and front sight block.
I did not have too much trouble removing anything but the front sight block and the barrel pin. The gas block was slightly oxidized but gave easy enough.
The barrel is trash but I need it for measurements.
Used emory cloth to lightly clean out debris and to smooth out the parts.All of them look good so I need the barrels.

I called my local ffl and he said he might be able to turn those barrels down for me. I left my old barrel there so he could check measurements with a caliper. Nice guy it seems.

E-mailed Zastava factory about certain specs, and to see if we are allowed to import certain accessories. We will see.

Later I am going to work on the bolthead and get it opened to fit the .308.
I am going to use a dremel tool for this. It does not need much milling. the extractor needs shaved back also. This will have to be done carefully, But I dont think that it will be difficult, there is plenty of material to work with.

Man these Yugo's are nice guns. I sure would like good barrels on them.

I might have to fabicate my own reciever for this. Someone on this sight did this allredy. I believe he made his own dies for the bulges and everything. Well he inspired me so.. It is possible. I will be tying to make a slightly longer that average reciever to accept the G3 mags I hope it will works.

I will keep post on the progress. I know many people on this board would like to have an AK in 7.62 nato. These yugos are perfect for this project. With the barrel ban comming it might be just as cost effective to build a .308 as it is a 7.62x39.

#10 ·
I ground down the bolt head to take the .308. I did this by using a dremel cut off wheal that I ground down to a small diameter (about 3/8ths of an inch) and carefully ground away at the perimeter of the bolt face . The extractor was put in a vice and ground with the same cut off wheel. I assembled the bolt, and the casing fits nice and tight. I will do a final check when I get the barrel in the trunnion.

#11 ·
Has anyone done a saiga .308 conversion to take G3 mags?

I have a old tapco flat that I destroyed in a failed attempt to bend without as jig some time ago. While taking measurements it seems that if you cut the trigger guard back 3/8ths of an inch and weld it back together you won have to modify the reciever as much. I might not be able to shoot with a thick ass glove but it is plenty wide enough. The magazine housing for the G3 mag must encompas the first two holes of the selector stop and the trigger guard so when you move them back you have to modify the selector stop to stop. It would be easy enough to weld a small stop at the original spot. Clean it up a bit and it could look nice.

The G3 mags are going to need modified. They need the mag catch tab of the AK, and a bigger lip in the front. I will cut around the tab of some AK mags and weld them to some steel G3's I have. I will weld a front lip and grind it to the right fatness. There are other ways but I am going to try this first.

#14 ·
The M77 shoots the 7.62x51 the M76 shoots the 7.92x57 ( 8mm). I am going to try to build both.

From what I can gather the M76 kits are $500. ORF is selling the recievers for $400+ that is over $900.

yugo kit $89 + shipping
Reciever $100 + transfer
Barrel $ 45 + shipping
barrel turned down $ 100
$30 hardware
Total less that $400

And that uses the very common and cheap G3 20 round mags!!

I love the heavy calibers and the AK platform. I cant afford $900 for any weapon.

#15 ·
Yeah I think the .308 AK builds have a different bolt system. I think Rhino has one and could possibly post pics. There is some worry about the strength of a 7.62x39 bolt, I don't know if I'd chance this myself. I need to see what a Galil or Saiga .308 bolt looks like before I can say for sure.

#18 ·
I compared my .308 Saiga, the differences were minor. The differences in the bolts was due to the Saiga being built from AK103/AK74 parts. It appeared to me they had less machine processes on the Saiga bolt. I for one am planning on a .308 Yugo that takes HK mags. The Saiga .308 has a 27mm bbl o.d. The Yugo has a 23mm bbl o.d. std to most Euro AKs, but a very strong trunnion to make up for the 4mm. (23mm is very close to the barrel shank O.D. of most mauser base cartridges) IMOP

#19 ·
sct1886 Thank you for your info. What are you going to do for a barrel? Also, are you going to modify the hk mags or are you going to modify the reciever?
To me it seems easier to modify the mags.

Does the saiga .308 have a RPK trunion? I thought it did. Plus you said the saiga barrel od was 4mm bigger, if so I might have to mill out some of my trunnion to 27mm to be safe> I dont know. I would like to know what the M76 barrel o.d. is?

#20 ·
I have not decided whether to use a FAL bbl and front end. I already have built a Cold Steel rec., it would easily accomadate an HK mag. The Saiga has an modified RPK trunnion. I personally will use a 23mm o.d. bbl. The Yugo trunnion IMOP more than makes up for the 4mm. The Yugo was built way overkill to launch rifle grenades. Best Regards Scott

#21 ·
Yea I think you are right. Those yugos are over-built.

If my barrel turning experiment works I will keep notes. I am going to try to use a turned down 1919a4 barrel.

I looked into the FN barrels but I dont know where the gas port is on them.

The barrel I am willing to send out to get turned right. I could do it, but not very well I think.

Does the yugo tunnion have more meat than the saiga?

Well good luck keep us posted on the fal barrel.

#22 ·
#23 ·
My Dad is going to do his with a commercial take off .308 barrel. The gas block will be clamped around the barrel like some commercial gun.

Rhino sent me pics of the Saig .308 and gave me some ideas on what the bolt is like. It has 2 lugs and considering the Yugo bolt and trunion are way over built it should be up to the task.

On my Dad's version he plans on using the G3 mag too. His will likely not resemble am AK when he gets done either. He's going for someting a little different. We have don ea lot of research on this and the Yugo kit should be fine.

#24 ·
Thanks for the links. I already ordered the 1919 barrel, but with the sportsmans guide prices I think I will order those next week. I want this to be nice.

The fluted barrel is sweet, But I dont know if the flutes will interfere with the turning of the barrel. I dont have much experiance on lathes, highschool metal shop but that was almost twenty years ago.

There are four spots on the barrel that have to be specific;front sight, gas block, rear site block and breach. The AK barrel takes some skill to turn down.

Do any of the builders on this site turn barrels? Does Jnewt?

I am still pondering buying a lathe. I will have to wait to have some more money.

SangRun Hunter, is your father going to modify the G3 mags? If so
after I get A few welded up, I will send him one of mine to see if if the Idea will work for him.

Thanks

I am going to get a camera soon so I can take some pictures of what I am trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.