Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yugo .308 conversion

Feedback Score

Default Yugo .308 conversion

Hello.

I need some advice before starting this project. I am going to convert a m-70 yugo into an m-77 (.308), or something very close to it.
    I am just trying to figure out the right system for this.

I wish to have a long barrel, (20 to 24 inches). It seems either surplus or a barrel blank is the way to go.

The idea is to keep everything as close to the M-77 design as I can.
    After I get the barrel complete milled and installed in the trunnion, I will work on the bolt, bolthead and gastube.

I will then work on the reciever ect.

Well I need ideas, so what ever you guys could help with will be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I know is considering doing the same thing. His PC crashed so he won't be back on for a few days. I'm sure he'll share ideas with you.
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

bsn
    Feedback Score

Chamber pressure for the 7.62X39 is 38,000 the .308 is 52,000 I would be a little worried about the strength of the bolt lock up.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bsn
    Chamber pressure for the 7.62X39 is 38,000 the .308 is 52,000 I would be a little worried about the strength of the bolt lock up.

They have made both Galils, Valmets and Yugos in .308. And the Yugo's used stamped RPK type receivers.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

bsn
    Feedback Score

But didn't they also use a 3 lug bolt? The reciever wouldn't be an issue but a two lug bolt may not be able to take the added pressure.

Feedback Score

I dont think it would matter about a three lug bolt, not for a semi auto. I would like to see pictures of a three lug bolt though.

Anybody have pictures?

Does anybody know the specs on these barrels?

FAL, m1a, ar 10, rem 700 .308

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Grendeljaeger
    They have made both Galils, Valmets and Yugos in .308. And the Yugo's used stamped RPK type receivers.
    Are any .308 AK kits being sold in the US right now?

Feedback Score

Default so far

This idea got me phyched. I started looking and found several possibilities for barrels.

I just ordered a like new 1919 barrel, as well as a mauser barrel. I suppose I will try both the m77 and the m76. Both of these barrels are supposed to be in like new condition.

The tool tent is in town this week , I am going to buy one of their metal lathes for three hunded bucks, and start turning.

I need specs for both guns (M76-M77) I believe Templar has one of these variants maybe he can help , or anyone here.

My plan is to modify the reciever to take g3 mags. I believe I will have to move many of the holes to the rear almost a half an inch to make everthing work. I also have to modify the hammer to work.

Anyone with a siaga .308, a vepr .308, or an M77 please pipe in. I would like to copy the holes for a template.

Any ideas on the piston length, or the gas block placement?

I am also considering buying another nagant barrel and try for a 7.62x54r romanian clone.

Feedback Score

Last night I removed all the components from my M70. Front sight, gas block, handguard retainer, trunnion and front sight block.
    I did not have too much trouble removing anything but the front sight block and the barrel pin. The gas block was slightly oxidized but gave easy enough.
    The barrel is trash but I need it for measurements.
    Used emory cloth to lightly clean out debris and to smooth out the parts.All of them look good so I need the barrels.

I called my local ffl and he said he might be able to turn those barrels down for me. I left my old barrel there so he could check measurements with a caliper. Nice guy it seems.

E-mailed Zastava factory about certain specs, and to see if we are allowed to import certain accessories. We will see.

Later I am going to work on the bolthead and get it opened to fit the .308.
    I am going to use a dremel tool for this. It does not need much milling. the extractor needs shaved back also. This will have to be done carefully, But I dont think that it will be difficult, there is plenty of material to work with.

Man these Yugo's are nice guns. I sure would like good barrels on them.

I might have to fabicate my own reciever for this. Someone on this sight did this allredy. I believe he made his own dies for the bulges and everything. Well he inspired me so.. It is possible. I will be tying to make a slightly longer that average reciever to accept the G3 mags I hope it will works.

I will keep post on the progress. I know many people on this board would like to have an AK in 7.62 nato. These yugos are perfect for this project. With the barrel ban comming it might be just as cost effective to build a .308 as it is a 7.62x39.

Feedback Score

I ground down the bolt head to take the .308. I did this by using a dremel cut off wheal that I ground down to a small diameter (about 3/8ths of an inch) and carefully ground away at the perimeter of the bolt face . The extractor was put in a vice and ground with the same cut off wheel. I assembled the bolt, and the casing fits nice and tight. I will do a final check when I get the barrel in the trunnion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.