Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I would love to know what kind of pressures the Yugo achevies when launching a gernade? I suspect it is way up there. I noticed the the 7.62x51nato is proof tested way below what the 308 Win is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ok, I've spent most of the day getting his program to run. I've got it all working now. So, I'll see about getting some numbers run. It will probably be tomorrow before I can get things run.

Just a quick run of the .308 proof round of 83,000 psi.

Using an AMD 65 bolt because it was handy.
    Bolt Dia=.654
    Small lug length=.404
    Small lug width=.256
    Bolt Yield strength=100000 (using the figure for the 1050)

His program says:

Bolt Thrust=9667
    Bolt Lug Shear Strength=10630
    Lug Shear Area=.213
    Lug Flex=.004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If anyone else wants to run the program, let me know and I'll post where to get GWBASIC, how to get your program in, and a few things that needed changed to work with this version of GWBASIC.

We still don't know the type and RC hardness of these bolts/trunnions. If someone had a RC tester we could find out at least that much. The numbers below are based on a main bolt body of .635. Since the AK bolts aren't the same as a bolt action, it's a little hard to get a good measurement. The AMD bolt was the best to get this measurement from.

Also we are just using that the AK bolt has 2 of the small lugs. It would be hard to get a good number with the cut out for the extractor on the large lug. Since the large lug is longer it should be stronger according to Lilja's program.

I'm not saying that any of the numbers listed below should be taken that it is safe to build that type of rifle. We are using numbers taken off the net and Dan's program. I'm not saying anything bad about Dan, but I'm not an engineer and I can't look at his formulas to say that yes they are correct. We are assuming that everything is correct, that the yield pressure of the steel is 100,000psi, and the ammo is loaded to SAAMI max specs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

So, lets look at a 7.62X39 loaded to SAAMI max of 45,000.

AMD Bolt
    Dia. =.635
    Small lug length=.404
    " " width=.256
    Yield= 100000

Bolt thrust=4484
    Bolt shear=10649
    Flex=.0018

Now lets look at the Saiga bolt in .308 loaded to the SAAMI max of 62,000.

Dia.=.635 (I'm just guessing at this figure)
    Small lug length=.645 ( from rbthntr64 post)
    " " width=.256 (I didn't see this posted, so guessing)
    Yield= 100000

Bolt thrust= 7222
    bolt shear= 16998
    Flex=.0018

The Vepr bolt at .308 loaded to 62,000.

Dia.= .635 (guessing)
    Small lug length=.537 (from rbthntr64 post)
    " " width=.256 (guessing)
    Yield=100000

Bolt thrust=7222
    Bolt shear=14153
    Flex=.0022

Yugo Bolt with .308 loaded to 62,000

Dia.=.635 (guessing)
    Small lug length=.405 (from rbthntr64 post)
    " " width=.256 (guessing)
    Yield=100000

Bolt thrust=7222
    Bolt Shear=10675
    Flex=.0029

How about a 8mm on a AMD bolt loaded to SAAMI max of 35,000psi. Surplus 8mm could be loaded way higher than 35,000psi.

Dia.=.635
    Small lug length=.404
    " " width=.256
    Yield=100000

Bolt thrust=4079
    Bolt shear=10649
    Flex=.0017

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

these numbers look in line with the numbers i came up with

i would like the info on the gw basic stuff, post or pm me

i wasnt doing this to debate different cartridges on different actions, i would just like to have some idea of how to figure and compare differences for my own knowledge

this is great stuff guys, i appreciate the all the info in this thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Here is the website that I downloaded GWBasic from:

http://www.geocities.com/KindlyRat/GWBASIC.html

I just checked it and it said that the site was down due to it exceeding it's data transfer limit. Are all you guys downloading it? Maybe it will be back up. My virus software didn't find anything, but any time you download something there is a chance. So, use at your own risk, blah, blah ,blah. GW Basic is old school.... no mouse, black screen, and you have to type commands in.

Download the GWBASIC.EXE zip file to your computer. Exract the zip to a folder and remember where you stored the folder.

Go here:

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...g_strength.htm

and go to the program code. Left click, highlight all the code (line 10 to line 330), right click, and copy.

Now on your computer go to start, programs, accessories, and open notepad.
    In notepad paste the program. Now we need to do some work. When the program was loaded to the web, any line that was to long was dropped to the next line. Fine for a web page, but bad for a program. So we need to fix this. Between line 40 and 50 it says BMG";QHS. We need to stick that back at the end of the line above it. Go to the end of line 40, hit delete twice, then the space bar once, and that should bring the code back into one line. Do this to every line that ran over. When done it should read 10 to 330 on the left side without any breaks.

After line 280 replace the rest of the program with this:

281 U=(THRUST/10+.5)*10
    282 Z=(LS/10+.5)*10
    290 PRINT"":
    291 PRINT"THE APPROXIMATE BOLT THRUST IN POUNDS IS:";U
    300 PRINT"THE APPROXIMATE BOLT LUG SHEAR STRENGTH IN POUNDS IS:";Z
    310 PRINT"THE LUG SHEAR AREA (SQ. INCHES):";:PRINT USING".###";SA
    320 PRINT"THE AMOUNT OF BOLT LUG FLEX FOR THESE CONDITIONS (INCHES):";:PRINT USING".####";FLEX
    330 END

It does the same as his orginal program but this version of GW Basic wouldn't print as he had it written. Also if the webpage drops some of the lines down you will need to do as above to get it back on one line.

Now we need to save it. At the top left click File and click Save As. Change the Save As Type box to All Files. Then name the file whatever you want .bas. I called it lug.bas. Then save the file. Remember where you saved it or save it right to the GWBASIC.EXE folder. If you saved it someplace else, go to it and copy it. Go to the folder with the GWBasic exe and paste it into the folder. Now we are ready to give it a try

Click the Basic.exe icon and the program should start. Windows will ask you if you want to run it. Click Run. It should open a black screen that has some words and then says OK. Type Load "whateveryoucalledit" and this will load the program. I called it lug.bas so I type Load "lug". It should come back with OK. Then type Run and the program should start and ask which size of cartridge. Input the values and it should list the results.

If you want to add the 7.62X39 instead of the Magnum in the list of cartridges then replace these two lines in the program.

40 INPUT"1=.222; 2=PPC; 3=.308; 4=7.62X39; 5=378 WBY MAGNUM; 6=.50 BMG";QHS

and

150 IF QHS=4 THEN HS=.356

This will give a close inside diameter of the case head. As before if the webpage drops any lines you will have to put them back on one.

If you need to edit the program after it is saved, then click on it twice. Windows will want to know what you want to open it with. Check "Select from a list" and "Open". Windows will pull up a box. At the bottom by default "Always use the selected program to open" is checked. UNCHECK it and then select notepad from the list above. Click OK and do your editing. When done just click save. If you have it in a different folder than the GW Basic folder, you will need to move the new saved program to the folder and overwrite the old one.

Once you run one set of numbers you have to type Run again to do another set. When finished type system and hit enter. The window should close.

Feedback Score

has sombody given a thought of using this ammo
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ato3/index.asp
    I think this ammo would be a good starting point to a .308 ak. just a idea. muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I am aware of that ammo as well a other puplished reduced recoil reloads. the one thing I noticed was at at a average 2442 fps you are not gaining any thing over the 7.62x39 except the ability to shot .308 insted of .311 bullets. The other problem is that the stuff is not cheap ok for hunting but not for plinking. The good is that it can be bought off the shelf and would be safe to shoot in most any thing.
    What I have been looking at is a puplished hand load of 51,2 grains of 748 win powder pushing a 125 grain bullet at 3034 FPS at only 41,600 CUP this is a MAX load in the Lyman book. The same book has 7.62x39 loads at 44,700 CUP moving a slightly lighter 123GR bullet at only 2376 FPS. In other word the 308 load moves a 2 grain heaver bullet 658 FPS faster with 3,100 CUP LESS than the 7.62x39 this is a huge increase in performance and combined with the fact that that 308/7,62x51 brass is cheaper and the .308 bullet selectoin is far supperior and the 308 round is considerd more inherantly accurate is my reason to do a 308 WIN hunting pistol. The above factory load just makes it even more of a appealing build due to the walk into any sporting good store and buy it off the shelf If i run out of hand loads.

Feedback Score

has anyone gone any further on this conversion? I cant stand the suspense!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ive gotten a couple fal barrels, mags and yugo kits. waiting to finish my designs for a reciever, milled to fit over the front trunion, have the correct magazine opening and release for fal mags, and using AR grips and fcg. Not sure about a stock style yet (any suggestions). Im like everyone else i assume, too many projects too little time

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 bullpup

yugo 308 ak

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.