Gunco Forums banner

308 ak

49K views 321 replies 44 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 · (Edited)

#27 ·
aloharover said:
Even better news.

I see a couple of 24" long heavy 308 barrels. Could you cut the barrel just ahead of the chamber and then rechamber the barrel in 7.62x39 and turn down the external dimensions to match a stock barrel?

Seems like a nice inexpensive way to come up with extra ak barrels if the ban holds.
Depends on if you are one who feels safe with the .308 vs. .311 bullet issue.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11543

:D

#28 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
Sarcasim? The M76 M77 used a NATO load. That is the whole basis of this project. They used the same bolt head as the Yugo AK's.
Let's not forget also that Meeper made his conversions using stock parts too...

#30 ·
The guy that converts FALs to all sorts of calibers. I suppose his biggest claim to fame is the FAL swap-out sleeved config he made that lets you change calibers easily. Using that as a base, you swap out a few parts an viola you have a new caliber FAL.

He posted pics a while back of a few AKs he converted - among other things - to .50 Beowulf. It looked NASTY with that big half-inch hole staring at you. The pics are no longer available but I think it was a SAR - looked like a SAR-2 conversion (5.56) which would make sense, because the Beowulf uses an AR rim to allow it to be shot out of AR rifles with minimal parts swap-out.

#35 ·
1biggun said:
good info. what is the mag? I got my 308 remington 700 barrel yesterday from ebay it is mint satin finish very close to a Rommy. I notice in the pics that there is a fair amount of ramping on the barrel face probably do to the longer shell length. I had planed to move the mag back from the barrel. but I see in the pic;s that the trunion is opened up to allow for the longer shell. Are these pics of a modifed yugo or a saiga? I wish I had a saiga to look at. none of the shops I have been to have any in 308. I like the idea of welding the rear sight block to the trunion that will save a lot of work plus I plan to mill off all provisons for a rear sight as well plan on a scoped only. will possably mount the scope rail to were the old sight was. My barrel is about .680 at the aprox location of were the gas block will be also looks like the Remington arms Ilion NY USA logo can stay intact if I choose and be visable. I am sure this will baffel most law inforcemet and Game Warden types. A Remington 308 AK what the !@#$%^ . Next step is to find a Yugo kit with a bad barrel cheap. Thought about seeing what CFS was doing with some of there bad returned kits.

They should have something unless thos are the ones that Century is selling with Romy barrels.

I know I sent 6 back to them that were trashed.

#38 ·
Sarcasm? Hell, no. I was thinking of the original question by 1biggun which was asking about a standard AK trunnion and bolt. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

1biggun said:
Is it possable to convert to to a 308? I have done several builds now and have a pretty complete machine shop. My main question is can a standard ak trunion /bolt assembly hold up to 308 pressures and will a barrel turned down to fit a standard trunion be safe. I can handel all the mag fitting and bolt face work. looking to use a Romy kit for this with a modified mauser barrel. I am aware of the saiga rifles do the differ in the trunion and bolt?
SangRun Hunter said:
Sarcasim? The M76 M77 used a NATO load. That is the whole basis of this project. They used the same bolt head as the Yugo AK's.
You guys do good work. Please continue.

#40 ·
BIG ISSUE HERE - You guys are talking about certain guns being up to handling 7.62 NATO and 308 as the same thing. It's my understanding that 7.62 NATO uses 50ksi-ish chamber pressures and that 308 Winchester uses 62ksi-ish ones.

I would be very concerned about making a gun designed for 7.62 NATO only to take US commercial 308 Winchester ammo.

Am I wrong about this, and are the Galils and Yugos designed to take US commercial ammo and not just 7.62 NATO? For the Saiga-308 to be marketed as a sporting gun in the US I'm pretty sure it would be up to the task, hence the third bolt lug at the expense of making a new and very different kind of magazine. But are the Galils and Yugos the same way?

Folks who talk of thousand round torture tests probably aren't using thousands of rounds of commercial 308.

So is there something I'm missing here? If Yugo AKs are in fact up to 308 Winchester, then you bet I'll be doing a build!

#43 ·
BattleRifleG3 said:
BIG ISSUE HERE - You guys are talking about certain guns being up to handling 7.62 NATO and 308 as the same thing. It's my understanding that 7.62 NATO uses 50ksi-ish chamber pressures and that 308 Winchester uses 62ksi-ish ones.

I would be very concerned about making a gun designed for 7.62 NATO only to take US commercial 308 Winchester ammo.

Am I wrong about this, and are the Galils and Yugos designed to take US commercial ammo and not just 7.62 NATO? For the Saiga-308 to be marketed as a sporting gun in the US I'm pretty sure it would be up to the task, hence the third bolt lug at the expense of making a new and very different kind of magazine. But are the Galils and Yugos the same way?

Folks who talk of thousand round torture tests probably aren't using thousands of rounds of commercial 308.

So is there something I'm missing here? If Yugo AKs are in fact up to 308 Winchester, then you bet I'll be doing a build!

It's a good point and one me and my Dad have talked about. We feel confident that Nato rounds will be no issue. There are some variants of commercial 308 that do not use the higher pressure loads as well.

Here is a story that was related to me byu a smith recently. One of the famous handloader magazine writers took a 30.06 and jammed it into a gun chambered to fire 25.06. It did fire the bullet through the barrel. He was sort of hoping it would blow up, but started to prove that the myth of guns blowing up from something like that aren't always true.

Not to say that it might not blow up. The more I research this stuff the more I understand there are many myths too.

One other thing about the Saiga, it's bolt is not as beefy as the Yugo 7.62x39 bolt either.

There is going to be some detail about this coming soon as the barrel and trunion are being sent to a smith to be fitted up by a well known M1A/Garand NM smith who recently caught the AK bug too. :cheers:

#47 ·
It just said rpk no country. Makes me feel a little safer using 308 ammo though. worst case is I can reload to a safe chamber pressure. I know there are some slight head space differances between 308 WIN and 7.62x51 NATO want to use 308 stuff. also noticed that a lot of 308 loads are way below 60,000 psi.

#49 ·
1biggun said:
I just looked at site that showed the Hesse model 47 in 308. it states that they use a RPK bolt and trunion. Is there a differance in a rpk trunion and a Yugo M70? If they are different how.
Some people use the most loosely correct statements to sell their products. I bet they're talking about a Saiga 308 that just happens to have one trunion bulge. I highly doubt it's an RPK bolt. But I'll go there to check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.