Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

Feedback Score

I keep wondering why no one tries the .308 Barnes kurtz. It is .308x1.5 inch and should fit the 7.62x39mm AK mags and action. The round can be hand loaded up to 52,000 psi (or more). A big advantage of this round is the use of the .308 Win case or mil surp cases or even spent mil surp 7.62x51mm blanks !!

A 7.62x39mm barrel could be rechambered to this round though the bore is a bit generous. Perhaps a paper patch or use of .311 inch bullets would help tighten up groups.

The .308x1.5 Barnes kurtz has been briefly mentioned here before but that was all.

VD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I keep wondering why no one tries the .308 Barnes kurtz.
    I started on one, even bought the trim die to make the brass. the round is about the same as the 30 bench rest. the BR round/brass replaced the 308 Barnes for the most part when quality 7mm BR became avaliable there is not a lot of case taper to aid feeding or extraction. I formed some brass (not full length sized) and it wont work in a standard mag it might work in a modifed 223 or 5.45 mag.

rechambering could be done on non chrome lined barrel and the round can be loaded with .310 bullets if the chamber has a large enough throat for the additonal OD. dies and reamers are avaliable. the 308x1.5 Barnes is also done in a shorter and longer version and also in every thing from .17 up to .35 calibur. I was looking into a 6.5 version.

the the new 30 RAR round is simular but with even more capacity made from a 284 case with a rebated rim.

I shelved the project when I decided if I was going to load up to 52,000 PSI I would just build a full size 308 Win and take advantage of the addditional case capacity and already made brass and get the same results with less pressure. the AK can be be built with full length 308 brass pretty easly so it dont really make sence for me at least to form brass and trim it and mess with mags for a shorter round.
    It would be a great AR round if the pressures were kept safe.

it can give 2640 FPS with a 125GR bullet and 2500 FPS with a 150 GR bullet according to the designer the late Frank Barnes in the Cartriges of the World book this is a good improvement over the x39 but it also runs at much higher pressures.

Im pretty sure I started a thread on it around 3 or 4 years ago. and there was a fair amount of discussion.

pistol silhouette shooters have been using the 308 x1.5 or simular versions for years.

for hunting it out performs the 30-30 hands down and is in the 300 savage range of power

Feedback Score

Thanks 1biggun.
    Somehow I missed those posts several years ago. Good stuff !!
    VD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I actualy tried to find a few of them posts and wasent able to. It was before I was posting pictures I know that. The 308x1.5 barnes would certianly be a improvement over the X39 and would be a better hunting round. as a combate round the lessened reliabilty might not be worth it due to the lack of the case taper it would offer another. it cetainly would offer more range and and speed as well as brass can be made from a dozen differnant rounds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I found this very interesting
    The AK Forum :: Log in

the bolt second from the right is a 308 Galil bolt.

It appears identical to a standard a 7.62x39 bolt with only the bolt face inlarged!!!
    I believe it is a spring loaded pin.
    This should calm some fears that a 2 lug bolt is over loaded in 308. there are some sources for these bolts as well.

I wouldlike to see some specs on the ammo these gun shot in actualy use. they were also sold in the US in SA mode in this configuration I believe.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I found this very interesting
    The AK Forum :: Log in

the bolt second from the right is a 308 Galil bolt.

It appears identical to a standard a 7.62x39 bolt with only the bolt face inlarged!!!
    I believe it is a spring loaded pin.
    This should calm some fears that a 2 lug bolt is over loaded in 308. there are some sources for these bolts as well.

I wouldlike to see some specs on the ammo these gun shot in actualy use. they were also sold in the US in SA mode in this configuration I believe.

There have been some reports of fractures in military issued 7.62x51 Galils. The semi auto sniper versions are more common than the full auto ones though. I never knew if the receivers were cracking or the bolts. I'm not sure those pics are original as stated or those odd ones that were sold by ORF. I had one years ago. I didn't notice the differences at the time. The Yugo 77 is larger only on the right lug. The Valmet has both right and left lugs larger. the US doesn't require proofing and these rifles were designed before there were CIP requirements. Some European countries such as the UK had their own proofing standards but there wasn't a CIP standard at that time. The 8mm Yugo 76 bolt head is similar to the Yugo 77 bolt head, only the bolt stem is longer. look at what Valmet did to the 7.62x51 bolt !! That thing is huge. The Soviets increased the right bolt lug / head on 5.45 AK74 compared to the AKM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

There have been some reports of fractures in military issued 7.62x51 Galils. The semi auto sniper versions are more common than the full auto ones though. I never knew if the receivers were cracking or the bolts. I'm not sure those pics are original as stated or those odd ones that were sold by ORF. I had one years ago. I didn't notice the differences at the time. The Yugo 77 is larger only on the right lug. The Valmet has both right and left lugs larger. the US doesn't require proofing and these rifles were designed before there were CIP requirements. Some European countries such as the UK had their own proofing standards but there wasn't a CIP standard at that time. The 8mm Yugo 76 bolt head is similar to the Yugo 77 bolt head, only the bolt stem is longer. look at what Valmet did to the 7.62x51 bolt !! That thing is huge. The Soviets increased the right bolt lug / head on 5.45 AK74 compared to the AKM.
    So there are some reported failures of Galil's in 308 interesting. well so much for that. On the Valimit I think the bolt is bigger mainly so the barrel can be moved forward and not loose trigger guard clerance. I could be wrong. Im aware of the the differances of the m77&76 and theres pics some were in this thread.

as far as 5.45 bolt being heavier Im not sure why? the 223/ 5.56 run the same if not higher pressure ( I think what is the pressure of 5.45?) and they seem to be ok with the same smaller lug. the Sagia 223 must have passed CIP testing I belive that bolt is the same.

I have been looking really close at the 5.45 bolt lately, it could possably be opend up to a 308 win size face and might infact be stronger with the much longer RH lug and slightly longer LH lug. it would also allow the barrel to moved sligtly forward giving more finger clearance. I wonder if the bolt on the 5.45 is longer to help feeding rather than strength possably?? It would give a higher bullet height before it reaches the chamber.

In exploring the 5.45 bolt for conversion use ive noted the ramp on the bullet guide will need to be moved slightly forward. the lug engagement on a yugo M72 trunion is very good and the bolt tail is pointing straight back.

Im planning a 243 win on a two lug bolt build in the near future if the 5.45 bolt is stronger then it should be used. The small bolt stem could also be sleaved for a larger bore carrier and that sleave could be fitted for a more percise more accurate fit.
    also that sleave might be used to retain a spring loaded pin while im at it. A sleave would also be a good way to lengthen a bolt. I could gain a little finger guard clearance with the bolt lug to bolt face increase and if i sleaved a small stem bolt and made it longer I could move the trunion forward. I would be pretty close to gaining back that lost 1/2 or so of mag well required to use a 308 length mag. I might be able to leave the center support and mag latch/trigger guard in the origional location. HMMMMMMMMM

I wish they were cheaper.

Feedback Score

So there are some reported failures of Galil's in 308 interesting. well so much for that. On the Valimit I think the bolt is bigger mainly so the barrel can be moved forward and not loose trigger guard clerance. I could be wrong. Im aware of the the differances of the m77&76 and theres pics some were in this thread.

as far as 5.45 bolt being heavier Im not sure why? the 223/ 5.56 run the same if not higher pressure ( I think what is the pressure of 5.45?) and they seem to be ok with the same smaller lug. the Sagia 223 must have passed CIP testing I belive that bolt is the same.

I have been looking really close at the 5.45 bolt lately, it could possably be opend up to a 308 win size face and might infact be stronger with the much longer RH lug and slightly longer LH lug. it would also allow the barrel to moved sligtly forward giving more finger clearance. I wonder if the bolt on the 5.45 is longer to help feeding rather than strength possably?? It would give a higher bullet height before it reaches the chamber.

In exploring the 5.45 bolt for conversion use ive noted the ramp on the bullet guide will need to be moved slightly forward. the lug engagement on a yugo M72 trunion is very good and the bolt tail is pointing straight back.

Im planning a 243 win on a two lug bolt build in the near future if the 5.45 bolt is stronger then it should be used. The small bolt stem could also be sleaved for a larger bore carrier and that sleave could be fitted for a more percise more accurate fit.
    also that sleave might be used to retain a spring loaded pin while im at it. A sleave would also be a good way to lengthen a bolt. I could gain a little finger guard clearance with the bolt lug to bolt face increase and if i sleaved a small stem bolt and made it longer I could move the trunion forward. I would be pretty close to gaining back that lost 1/2 or so of mag well required to use a 308 length mag. I might be able to leave the center support and mag latch/trigger guard in the origional location. HMMMMMMMMM

I wish they were cheaper.
    Both the Valmet and Yugo 308 bolts are longer in head/lug but only the Valmet increases the size of the left bolt lug too. The Yugo has the right lug increased with the bolt head but the left bolt lug is standard size. I'm not certain but I got the impression that most of the 308 Galil failures were the receivers but looking at the bolt I wonder. The 7.62x39 Saiga has a two lug bolt the size of the AK74 bolt. For a two lug bolt, that one might be easier to open up for a larger rim.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The 7.62x39 Saiga has a two lug bolt the size of the AK74 bolt. For a two lug bolt, that one might be easier to open up for a larger rim.
    if only they were avalaible. do you happen to know if the saiga 223 bolt is th same??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

if only they were avalaible
    Why don't we just make our own?????

If you have a rotating table you should be able to make one, even without indexing. Heck, I think my indexer (doesn't rotate) could be used to build one. Just need to heat treat it properly. I would use 4340, but 4130 may be good enough?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 308 bullpulp

ak 47 bullpup
wood bullpup stock

yugo 308 ak

yugo m77 308 ak 47
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.