Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hmm you bring up some interesting thoughts, I was thinking the same as you that there's no need for a full gun in fact just a trunnion barrel bolt carrier fcg and like a tapco flat.

I was thinking maybe a .243 might be better for tested and if possible load in steps all the way to 125% unless of course we have failure before, you're right as we could test with x39 but while we could get some high pressure I think it would be easier to get very high bolt thrust levels without worrying as much about case failure..

I like your yugo barrel idea as it would kill 2 birds with one stone like you said. Also if the thin yugo barrel romy trunnion and bolt are able to fair well with some serious proof loads then I think it would give more confidence in caliber conversions. The math is great but some things just need to also be proven in real tests as well. I also might be able to dig out a yugo bolt and trunnion for testing as well

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

simply get a 308 take of barrel or other simular calibure and turn it down to fit the trunion inlarge the bolt face or turn down the rim on a few cases and go for it.

The main thing would be able to measure any changes in hed space super accuratly.

Id use a rommy trunion and bolt for a starters there cheap and also repersant the likely weakest of the AKs (possably) if they pass then Id be pretty confident a other variants perticualry the yugo trunuion would also be OK. I keep a really close eyeon my conversions and I dont load them up to near max. I still maintaine that the 300 savage is the way to go. The down side of course is there is no cheap surpluss or russian steel cased ammo but as a hand loader I dont care. I have pleanty of 7.62x39 guns for plinking and blasting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah I agree with you about using romy parts for testing., that spare yugo trunnion and bolt are for my someday .308 build but I'm more leaning toward a 54r yugo with m76 barrel parts and psl bolt and carrier.

If we discover ak (especially yugo) bolts and trunnions can safely handle some high thrust levels then I think I might build my long time idea of a 5.6x57mm ak based system (though that might be best for my m14 reciever )

There are a few ways I can think of testing headspace or atleast locking lug deformation creating a longer headspace, one method I can think of would be adding thin shims to a go gauge maybe like .001 or even .0005 shims but holding them in place might create inaccuracies another method could me micing the distance between the lugs and breech face. My preference though might be a combination of micing the lugs for deformation along with measuring the bolt tail end play, it could be zeroed on part of the trunnion and endplay could be measured with go and no go gauges originally used and thus be a quick way of seeing if the lugs are deforming and the bolt is moving back. Also the breech face could be measured for forward movement of the barrel which I used to think was a non issue untill I had my initial hs problems with my m76.

Maybe we could send bolts and trunnions to zteknik if he's able to use to magflux machine at his work

Sound like decent methods bg? You're right for testing it would be easiest to load rebated rim .308's also I think I can round up a .308 take off though I've also thought a lot about a .243 from reading your threads

I know another way to kill two birds with one stone, like your .308 yugo barrel idea, if I can get enough machine time from my buddy I might buy a psl bolt and try testing with a 54r wildcat, I'm thinking 6.5x54r

Sorry I've been rambling let me know if any of it gives you ideas lol

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

biggun

i have an web page for you check out. i wrote this to plot thrust vs chamber pressures. let me know if this will do.

there are 3 basic parts. on the left is the fields that default to 12 random calibers with pressures and thrust values. these will plot on the chart as is. if you want to compare just overwrite the fields with what ever data you have and refresh the chart.

on the right is the "math" part. the upper block allows you to fill in a caliber the pressure and the case DIAMETER (i do the math for you).
    hit the "GET YOUR THRUST" label and the fields will populate. you can cut and paste into the chart fields on the left side and replot.

i included a table of common pressures from saami. what i did not have was the case diameters.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    al gore is full of carbon enriched shit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wow that is so awesome I saved it on my blackberry I want to build a .308 ak more than ever now since I just got back from the range with my m76 I must have done something right as it groups a ragged hole regularly now that I'm getting used to the trigger.

Bg, are you ready to do some testing with my spare romy bolt and trunnion?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

i have debated a civil lawsuit against hcpookie and biggun. they have given me nothing but mental anguish since i joined this board. everytime i turn around they come up with something so damn cool that my head explodes. i have enough to do around the house without the barrage of new "ideas". god my head hurts!

that being said, and in complete jest, i am seriously contemplating a 6.5x55 swede on a psl platform. i think the x54 mag will just be able to hold the swede. it very well may work out to a barrel swap with some tweaks. so the question is. do i sell my saiga 308 to fund this project. or beg the wife for some of my money back (which is btw why she keeps my money i have zero impulse control) .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

For a 6.5x55 do what pookie did and use those french lmg mags they look like they worked well, I have 3 of them I got from ima if you want to trade them for something I got em for 5 bucks a piece (4 for 20 bucks) but I'm not going to use them.

But I agree with you bg and hc do too many cool things that make me want to spend even more money by the way is your siaga modified or stock trim? If you converted it it might make it hard for you to let it go so you might as well keep it and build another hehe

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

yes its converted and tore apart again to get new furniture.

this is the mock up

i know it will be tough to get rid of so i will not even seriously try. i will most likely start collecting more parts. i havent even started the x25 build yet. wife's had me on a marathon honey do list. i think i have just about knocked the list out. MAYBE i can focus on some builds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nice picture I've always wanted to adapt isreali hb hgs for an ak it looks even better than I imagined, I should get a set for my m76 oh if you need an ak74 bolt for an x25 build I have a spare I got cheap I am collecting parts for an x25 build too but I might make it like a skorpion on steroids lol but either way I have an extra bulgy 74 bolt if you want to trade anything for it.

You should try fitting an isreali fal but stock to your saiga too, it would look awesome with your hg. What would go very well with the look and lines of the isreali hb hg would be a skorpion pistol grip and they're 2 bucks a pop at czech points site (not that I'm trying to tell you what to do haha)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

funny you should mention the bolt. this is where i am stuck. i am trying to figure out which way to go. either do like you suggest with the 74 bolt or, this is where pookie makes my head spin (checkout his bizon build), i have been working on this bolt design to see if i can get milled. its still not finished.

trying to work out the extractor.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 bullpup

yugo 308 ak

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.