Gunco Forums banner

308 ak

49K views 321 replies 44 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 · (Edited)

#53 ·
1biggun said:
HOLY SHIT - those handguards look like the Weiger STG clone handguards from stock options (from 10 years ago).

I'd pay good money to get my hands wrapped around that foregrip set...

#56 ·
just orderd a stamped and a milled yugo underfolder kits from CFS for my 308 conversion they have a E deal going on them. Pam was great to deal with. they were out of G3 mags. what does the Veper use for a mag? also does anyone have info on a Yugo m77b1? Its my understanding that it is7.62x51, wondering how much different the bolt & trunion is in it. also picked up two suomi kits from cfs for $19.97 may tackel a 9mm ak later

#64 ·
BattleRifleG3 said:
BIG ISSUE HERE - You guys are talking about certain guns being up to handling 7.62 NATO and 308 as the same thing. It's my understanding that 7.62 NATO uses 50ksi-ish chamber pressures and that 308 Winchester uses 62ksi-ish ones.

I would be very concerned about making a gun designed for 7.62 NATO only to take US commercial 308 Winchester ammo.

Am I wrong about this, and are the Galils and Yugos designed to take US commercial ammo and not just 7.62 NATO? For the Saiga-308 to be marketed as a sporting gun in the US I'm pretty sure it would be up to the task, hence the third bolt lug at the expense of making a new and very different kind of magazine. But are the Galils and Yugos the same way?

Folks who talk of thousand round torture tests probably aren't using thousands of rounds of commercial 308.

So is there something I'm missing here? If Yugo AKs are in fact up to 308 Winchester, then you bet I'll be doing a build!
Those advertised pressures are misleading.The pressures are measured differently and the NATO chamber is "looser".The military NATO ammo will really make higher pressure in the same chamber.About 10.000 PSI higher than 308 Winchester hunting ammo.

I've been working on building a 308 AK for a while.Besides the Yugo there is also the 308 Valmet and 308 Galil.I took a 30 caliber barrel blank and turned it for an AK.I opened up a standard 7.62x39 bolt face.I am working on modifying a standard front trunnion to take Galil mags.I will use 16 gauge 4130 for the receiber and thin the trunnions.Now that the Yugo kits are here with non chrome lined barrels it would be much easier to ream the chamber for 308 and use the original barrel.

#65 ·
Hey guys just jumped on this outta curiousity, went and looked at a M14 mag and they taper slightly to about 7/8" at the front. If you try FAL mags you might try the inch pattern as they have a spot welded or soldered on lip in the front of the mag similar to the AK. Might just need a little attention with a grinder, just a thought.

#70 ·
The M14 mag is going to be the mag to use for the .308 AK. I have successfully figured out how to adapt the M14 mag to the Saiga .308 as well. I have just a little more work to do on it and it will be done. The M14 for our custom Yugo .308 rifles is an even better fit. It fits so well to the Yugo trunion it's scary and the only think needed is to put a nub on the front to lock it into the trunion. I am going to use a trunion rivet for the nub.

#71 ·
I think I will order a m14 mag. the G3 is to wide at the front for me I dont want have to do a bunch of grinding to the front trunion. to bad at $2.00 a piece it would have been nice. still deciding if i should try to build it on the milled kit or stamped. the stamped kit I have has a decant barrel in it. the milled has a bad barrel but it will be a long time getting it done. better just order more kits. do you think the ejecter will have to move back for a 308 to clear the chamber? how far is is the ejector tip from the barrel on the saiga 308?

#75 ·
hcpookie said:
Dumb question - who has M14 mags for a good price? centerfire has them for $20 each...

Copes has them too. I have order some from each. Both are new production.

I really need to post some pics for you guys to see how well the M14 mag lines up in a Yugo trunion.

For sake of argument.

I have these mags.

FAL. Too wide in the front and would require cutting the mag.

G3. ay too wide in the front and would require extensive mods to make it work.

Galil .308. Too wide in the front and only holds 12 rounds. Not cheap for 12 rounds.

M14 Is narrow enough to fit the Yugo trunion without modding either. The mags are very available and will be for some time to come.

The M14 mag also fits for my Saiga .308, but will have to be moded. It's a ashame I have to mod the mags, but there is no way around it and when someone comes out with commercial mags for Saiga .308's they will still work because my rifle will be intact.

I'll try to get pics tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.