Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Oh that's a TAPER - OK. I'm with you now. If it were me, I'd consider turning off the tapered part of the barrel on a lathe or in the vise, otherwise you will have a pretty long threaded part, making your muzzle device need a longer threaded section. May or may not be a problem for you.

What you need to do is measure the OD of the barrel. That will give you the max size you can thread. If it is 15mm then you could thread it with the 15x1 RH threads that HK uses and any HK muzzle device. My G3 has a typical M16 style birdcage flash hider. Not sure what the FAL is but I think it is 9/16 something... that would give you many choices, along with the potential of "converting" it to something you'd prefer...

Choices!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was toying with the idea modifing a factory ak mag, by cutting two mags in half l and tig welding them back together as one and modifing the follower to work with the 308 round. labor intensive but I wont need a lot of mags for my application. I was planing to just cut out the mag well opening in the receiver to fit what ever I came up with. If any one has a yugo kit with a bad barrel cheap I am looking for one.

Feedback Score

What is the receiver thread diameter on the Winchester and Remington barrels?
    I was surprised how many of them there are on ebay and how cheep they are.

If the thread is smaller then the inside dia on the trunion I guess you could do up a threaded insert on a lathe pretty quick.
    And if the thread is larger then just turn down the end.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aloharover
    What is the receiver thread diameter on the Winchester and Remington barrels?
    I was surprised how many of them there are on ebay and how cheep they are.

If the thread is smaller then the inside dia on the trunion I guess you could do up a threaded insert on a lathe pretty quick.
    And if the thread is larger then just turn down the end.

Not threaded and no need to thread. You turn the barrel down to the 23mm diameter and press it in like any stamped style AK. Headspace and pop a new hole for the barrel pin.

Feedback Score

Exclamation Chamber pressures.

Don't forget that .308/7.62NATO rounds have a higher chamber pressure than an 8mm Mauser or .30-06.

Have fun!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OrdnanceGuy
    Don't forget that .308/7.62NATO rounds have a higher chamber pressure than an 8mm Mauser or .30-06.

Have fun!

Sarcasim? The M76 M77 used a NATO load. That is the whole basis of this project. They used the same bolt head as the Yugo AK's.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SangRun Hunter
    Not threaded and no need to thread. You turn the barrel down to the 23mm diameter and press it in like any stamped style AK. Headspace and pop a new hole for the barrel pin.
    Even better news.

I see a couple of 24" long heavy 308 barrels. Could you cut the barrel just ahead of the chamber and then rechamber the barrel in 7.62x39 and turn down the external dimensions to match a stock barrel?

Seems like a nice inexpensive way to come up with extra ak barrels if the ban holds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aloharover
    Even better news.

I see a couple of 24" long heavy 308 barrels. Could you cut the barrel just ahead of the chamber and then rechamber the barrel in 7.62x39 and turn down the external dimensions to match a stock barrel?

Seems like a nice inexpensive way to come up with extra ak barrels if the ban holds.
    Depends on if you are one who feels safe with the .308 vs. .311 bullet issue.

Barrel Blanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SangRun Hunter
    Sarcasim? The M76 M77 used a NATO load. That is the whole basis of this project. They used the same bolt head as the Yugo AK's.
    Let's not forget also that Meeper made his conversions using stock parts too...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Let's not forget also that Meeper made his conversions using stock parts too...

Who is Meeper?

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 bullpup

yugo 308 ak

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.