Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I POSTED A PAGE LONG RESPONSE HERE LAST NIGHT WTF IS IT NOT HERE NOW?????? BS.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ANY WAY IM NOT SURE THE 1919 BARREL WILL GIVE YOU THE ACCURACY YOU LOOKING FOR. I HAVE NEVER MESSED WITH ONE HOWEVER. THERE ARE A TON OFF GOOD QUALITY TAKE OFF BARRELS ON PLACES LIKE GUNBROKER THAT WILL WORK FOR A 30 CAL BUILD. I RECENTLY PICKED UP A HOWA 1-12 BARREL IN 30-06 FOR $25 ITS MINT YOU JUST HAVE TO BE PATIANT. ITS NOT A HEAVY BARREL BUT IT WILL MAKE A REALLY GOOD 308X39 SHOOTER. THE FASTER TWIST WILL HELP WITHT HE 125 GRAINERS AS WELL. OCASIONALY THERE WILL BE A WINCHESTER M70 SNIPER BARREL FOR SALE THERE THEY WOULD BE A GOOD START. ANY SAVAGE ABRREL WOULD BE A GOOD WAY TO GO AS WELL.

TURBO-THIS DOES NICE WORK AND i HAVE SPOKE TO HIM VIA THE NET ON SEVERAL SUBJECTS. INCLUDING A POSSABLE SUPER TRUNION AN BOLT MADE FOR HIGH PRESSURE LOADS. I USED TO SPEND TIME ON THE AK FORUM AND REMEAMBER WHEN THAT GUN WAS BUILT. IM NOT OVER THERE NOW TO MUCH BS WITH THERE SITE AND TO MANY IDIOTS MIKED IN WITH THE FEW TALANTED BUILDERS.

Feedback Score

My buddy pulled out his 1919 last night and told me the same thing. I guess I spend the extra green and get a quality barrel. I don't go to the AK FORUM. I met turbothis on the Weapons Guild Forum.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

if your not looking for a heavy barrel there are tons of options that wont break the bank. I see stainless 300 mag barrels in unfired condition all the time very reasonable.

Feedback Score

Just to be a Devil's Advocate, there's a guy that turned a Saiga into a .243

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Just to be a Devil's Advocate, there's a guy that turned a Saiga into a .243
    HE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE AND FAR FROM THE FIRST. I HAVE CONVERTED 308 TO SEVERAL OTHER CALIBURS. AND DONE A BUNCH OFBARRELS FOR OTHERS HERE AS WELL. IM CURRENTLY WORKING ON A 7MM-08 BARREL FOR A GUY ON ANOTHER FORUM. ITS A SIMPLE BARREL SWAP IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL BARREL PROFILE. IM ALSO LOOKING AT DOING A 358 WIN IF THE LARGER BULLET WILL FEED FROM THE FACTORY MAG FOR A GUY. SMALLER THAN 308 BULLETS WORK FOR SURE. 22-250, 22 CHEETAH, 243. 25-08, 260 REMINGTON 6.5 CREEDMORE, AN 7MM-08 ARE PRETTY MUCH BARREL SWAPS. (I HAVENT PERSONLY DONE THE 6.5 CREED MORE BARREL) I HAVENT LOADED UP A MAG WITH BIGGER THAN .30 CAL TO SEE IF THEY WILL FIT OK. IM SURE THE MAG CAN BE MODDED. JUST HAVENT GOT THAT FAR. 35 REMINGTON AND 358 WIN ARE ON THE LIST TO DO. i HAVE THE 358 REAMER.

A 308 SAGIA IS STILL PRETTY PRICY AT AROUND $500 SO IT DOES MAKE SOME SENCE TO BUILD FROM A BARRELLESS STANDARD KIT IF YOU WATCH THE PRESSURES.

IVE GOT CLOSE TO A GRAND TIED UP IN MY 260 REMINGTON CONVERSION BASED ON A 308 SAGIA. ON THE FLIP SIDE THE 243 BARREL I DID COST ME LESS THAN $15 TO BUILD AND TRY. 243 BARREL GO ON GUNBROKER FOR LESS THAN $30 ALL THE TIME. THERE ARE TONS OF REMINGTON TAKE OFFS. I BOUGHT 13 BARRELS FROM ONE GUY A FEW YEARS BACK FOR ABOUT $10 A PIECE STILL HAVENT USED THEM ALL.

THE BIG PROBLEM IS THE SAGIA SUCKS AS IS AND DOING A DIFFERNT CALIBURE IN THE SAME BARREL PROFILE DONT HELP MUCH THEN YOU STILL GOT TO FIX ALL THE OTHER SAGIA SPECIFIC ISSUES. IT ALL ADDS UP.

ASIDE FROM AMMO COSTS THE 300 SAVAGE ON A STANDARD AK IS THE WAY TO GO IMOO OR JUST DO A 308 AND BE CAREFULL NOT TO MIX UP AMMO WITH HOT BOLTACTION HAND LOADS. THEN AGAIN THERE HAVE BEEN ZERO REPORTS OF A 308 CONVRSION FAILING. DONT MEAN IT WONT HAPPEN THOUGH.

Feedback Score

I would really like to see a standardized AK in .308. I'm trying to keep my ammo reserve in a narrower variety of calibers these days, overlapping my reloading with minimum tooling.

Feedback Score

i think the .308 mauser bbls cfs has for $50 would work good i think theyre stepped and not tapered so maybe a little lathe time and you would be good to go.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If you look on gun broker you can find 308 Remington take offs for around $40 or some times less. I got a new Remington take off that had the threads galled when it was removed last year for $15 it will work fine for a 308. I ended up rechambering it and profiling it for a 7.62x25.
    there are deals out there on take offs. if you can find a reamer you can get 300 mag barrel and 30-06 barrels pretty cheap also. there are some good deals on stainless barrels as well. I have a couple 300 RUM barrels here that will get rechambered to some thing else.

I advise you reload if you going with a standard 2 lug bolt. there havent been any let go yet but it is a big question what a standard bolt and trunion will hold.

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.