Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The guy that converts FALs to all sorts of calibers. I suppose his biggest claim to fame is the FAL swap-out sleeved config he made that lets you change calibers easily. Using that as a base, you swap out a few parts an viola you have a new caliber FAL.

He posted pics a while back of a few AKs he converted - among other things - to .50 Beowulf. It looked NASTY with that big half-inch hole staring at you. The pics are no longer available but I think it was a SAR - looked like a SAR-2 conversion (5.56) which would make sense, because the Beowulf uses an AR rim to allow it to be shot out of AR rifles with minimal parts swap-out.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

as far as 3.11 bullets in a.308 barrel. There are calibure conversions that adapt 308 and 30-06 bolt actions to shot 7.62x39. check out www.mcace.com. I dont know how well they work but I did see a post on another forum several months ago about some one using one and they seemed happy. also would possably make it so you would not even have to ream a 308 barrel to use in a AK. I was thinking of 22" barreled rommy this way. but was concerned about the barrel dia. differance also. worst case you could reload with .308 bullets.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Here are some pics Rhino sent me last year when this project started.

My Dad wants to look at these.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

good info. what is the mag? I got my 308 remington 700 barrel yesterday from ebay it is mint satin finish very close to a Rommy. I notice in the pics that there is a fair amount of ramping on the barrel face probably do to the longer shell length. I had planed to move the mag back from the barrel. but I see in the pic;s that the trunion is opened up to allow for the longer shell. Are these pics of a modifed yugo or a saiga? I wish I had a saiga to look at. none of the shops I have been to have any in 308. I like the idea of welding the rear sight block to the trunion that will save a lot of work plus I plan to mill off all provisons for a rear sight as well plan on a scoped only. will possably mount the scope rail to were the old sight was. My barrel is about .680 at the aprox location of were the gas block will be also looks like the Remington arms Ilion NY USA logo can stay intact if I choose and be visable. I am sure this will baffel most law inforcemet and Game Warden types. A Remington 308 AK what the !@#$%^ . Next step is to find a Yugo kit with a bad barrel cheap. Thought about seeing what CFS was doing with some of there bad returned kits.

Feedback Score

Default Admire

Got to admire you guys that manipulate metal the way you do. For anything built by man there has to be an improvement on.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    good info. what is the mag? I got my 308 remington 700 barrel yesterday from ebay it is mint satin finish very close to a Rommy. I notice in the pics that there is a fair amount of ramping on the barrel face probably do to the longer shell length. I had planed to move the mag back from the barrel. but I see in the pic;s that the trunion is opened up to allow for the longer shell. Are these pics of a modifed yugo or a saiga? I wish I had a saiga to look at. none of the shops I have been to have any in 308. I like the idea of welding the rear sight block to the trunion that will save a lot of work plus I plan to mill off all provisons for a rear sight as well plan on a scoped only. will possably mount the scope rail to were the old sight was. My barrel is about .680 at the aprox location of were the gas block will be also looks like the Remington arms Ilion NY USA logo can stay intact if I choose and be visable. I am sure this will baffel most law inforcemet and Game Warden types. A Remington 308 AK what the !@#$%^ . Next step is to find a Yugo kit with a bad barrel cheap. Thought about seeing what CFS was doing with some of there bad returned kits.

They should have something unless thos are the ones that Century is selling with Romy barrels.

I know I sent 6 back to them that were trashed.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Depends on if you are one who feels safe with the .308 vs. .311 bullet issue.

Barrel Blanks

Wow, thank you for that link.

Silly me I just assumed that since 7.62mm = .300 " we were talking apples and apples here

Ahh well I am still very interested in the idea of a .308 AK.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there is some under folder with an advertised good barrel for $129.00 George mason or some thing like that. Might just get a decent kit and sell the barrel and folder. to recover the cost. I will call CFS tommorow and post back what I find out.
    Also toying with the idea of keeping the barrel since it is not chrome lined and rechambering it in 308 and handloading the round with .311 bullets. still could plink with factory ammo with .308 bullets. also would be a cheap way to try a 308 conversion with out spending a bunch of time modifying my rifle barrel.I still want a long barrel tack driver though

Feedback Score

Arrow

Sarcasm? Hell, no. I was thinking of the original question by 1biggun which was asking about a standard AK trunnion and bolt. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    Is it possable to convert to to a 308? I have done several builds now and have a pretty complete machine shop. My main question is can a standard ak trunion /bolt assembly hold up to 308 pressures and will a barrel turned down to fit a standard trunion be safe. I can handel all the mag fitting and bolt face work. looking to use a Romy kit for this with a modified mauser barrel. I am aware of the saiga rifles do the differ in the trunion and bolt?
    Quote Originally Posted by SangRun Hunter
    Sarcasim? The M76 M77 used a NATO load. That is the whole basis of this project. They used the same bolt head as the Yugo AK's.
    You guys do good work. Please continue.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OrdnanceGuy
    Sarcasm? Hell, no. I was thinking of the original question by 1biggun which was asking about a standard AK trunnion and bolt. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

You guys do good work. Please continue.

Okay.... sorry about that.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 308 bullpulp

ak 47 bullpup
wood bullpup stock

yugo 308 ak

yugo m77 308 ak 47
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.