Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

BIG ISSUE HERE - You guys are talking about certain guns being up to handling 7.62 NATO and 308 as the same thing. It's my understanding that 7.62 NATO uses 50ksi-ish chamber pressures and that 308 Winchester uses 62ksi-ish ones.

I would be very concerned about making a gun designed for 7.62 NATO only to take US commercial 308 Winchester ammo.

Am I wrong about this, and are the Galils and Yugos designed to take US commercial ammo and not just 7.62 NATO? For the Saiga-308 to be marketed as a sporting gun in the US I'm pretty sure it would be up to the task, hence the third bolt lug at the expense of making a new and very different kind of magazine. But are the Galils and Yugos the same way?

Folks who talk of thousand round torture tests probably aren't using thousands of rounds of commercial 308.

So is there something I'm missing here? If Yugo AKs are in fact up to 308 Winchester, then you bet I'll be doing a build!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im trying to find out more info on pressures ect. reason for starting this thread. I am still concerned about being safe. I would like to find some one who has done it before.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

this has nothing to do with this but isnt a 22-250 a 22 cal bullet on a necked down 308 case?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRifleG3
    BIG ISSUE HERE - You guys are talking about certain guns being up to handling 7.62 NATO and 308 as the same thing. It's my understanding that 7.62 NATO uses 50ksi-ish chamber pressures and that 308 Winchester uses 62ksi-ish ones.

I would be very concerned about making a gun designed for 7.62 NATO only to take US commercial 308 Winchester ammo.

Am I wrong about this, and are the Galils and Yugos designed to take US commercial ammo and not just 7.62 NATO? For the Saiga-308 to be marketed as a sporting gun in the US I'm pretty sure it would be up to the task, hence the third bolt lug at the expense of making a new and very different kind of magazine. But are the Galils and Yugos the same way?

Folks who talk of thousand round torture tests probably aren't using thousands of rounds of commercial 308.

So is there something I'm missing here? If Yugo AKs are in fact up to 308 Winchester, then you bet I'll be doing a build!

It's a good point and one me and my Dad have talked about. We feel confident that Nato rounds will be no issue. There are some variants of commercial 308 that do not use the higher pressure loads as well.

Here is a story that was related to me byu a smith recently. One of the famous handloader magazine writers took a 30.06 and jammed it into a gun chambered to fire 25.06. It did fire the bullet through the barrel. He was sort of hoping it would blow up, but started to prove that the myth of guns blowing up from something like that aren't always true.

Not to say that it might not blow up. The more I research this stuff the more I understand there are many myths too.

One other thing about the Saiga, it's bolt is not as beefy as the Yugo 7.62x39 bolt either.

There is going to be some detail about this coming soon as the barrel and trunion are being sent to a smith to be fitted up by a well known M1A/Garand NM smith who recently caught the AK bug too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I just looked at site that showed the Hesse model 47 in 308. it states that they use a RPK bolt and trunion. Is there a differance in a rpk trunion and a Yugo M70? If they are different how.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    I just looked at site that showed the Hesse model 47 in 308. it states that they use a RPK bolt and trunion. Is there a differance in a rpk trunion and a Yugo M70? If they are different how.

Depends what they mean? Romy RPK, Russian? Yugo?

Having had a Romy RPK here for inspection the Yugo is beefier. At least I remember it that way.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by road_warrior101
    this has nothing to do with this but isnt a 22-250 a 22 cal bullet on a necked down 308 case?
    No.
    Last edited by netpackrat; 12-06-2005 at 09:24 PM. Reason: to unsubscribe from this thread

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

It just said rpk no country. Makes me feel a little safer using 308 ammo though. worst case is I can reload to a safe chamber pressure. I know there are some slight head space differances between 308 WIN and 7.62x51 NATO want to use 308 stuff. also noticed that a lot of 308 loads are way below 60,000 psi.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Not a rip here, but anyone interested in case tolerance and loads should consider getting a Lee Loader manual or the NRA manual.

It will also tell you what rounds are associated with each other and derived of each other.

Just some advice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    Some people use the most loosely correct statements to sell their products. I bet they're talking about a Saiga 308 that just happens to have one trunion bulge. I highly doubt it's an RPK bolt. But I'll go there to check.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 bullpup

yugo 308 ak

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.