Gunco Forums banner

308 ak

49K views 321 replies 44 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 · (Edited)

#156 ·
This is my page that, one day soon (hopefully) I'll put all the juicy details. No updated pics are up there as of today, but soon!

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AKM/AK_308/ak_308.htm

Yes, I used a Romy G kit after careful consideration of the locking lugs on a Yugo vs. a Romy.

I'm not as concerned about the trunion as I am about the barrel. That is a used G3 barrel that I drilled out for an AK gas port, and I sleeved the 22mm barrel for the 23mm trunion. My concern is the fact that the G3 barrel won't like the gas port hole. Only testing will tell. If it doesn't work then I'm going to get a nice long 308 barrel and lathe it to the proper spec.

The design imitates the Dragunov SVU bullpup with the external trigger bar. It looks like a shortened SVU, which was the goal. :) My thread on the GNA forum has a brief overview of all the build components and I am going to put all that on my website, hopefully by next weekend.

Here's the glamour shot of the build. Yes, that's the converted G3 mag:

#157 ·
1biggun said:
I would love to know what kind of pressures the Yugo achevies when launching a gernade? I suspect it is way up there. I noticed the the 7.62x51nato is proof tested way below what the 308 Win is.
Yes and no.

I saw some pics recently on another forum (akforum.net I think) where someone in the field shot live rifle grenades and all the rear stock rivet holes egg-shaped themselves. It really beat the hell out of the rifle. I seem to recall they were not using the low-powered rifle grenade blanks, but the higher powered practice blanks. I think.

However, the discussion centered around the fact that the inert, empty, practice grenades that you and I can play with require less pressure. The factory blanks shoot those heavy HE grenades up to 300-400 yards. The factory blanks shoot inert grenades a shorter distance.

I think there are also two different kinds of blanks, one to shoot during live-fire training such as during red-flag training exercises, and those specifically designed to shoot rifle grenades. The difference is that the red-flag blanks are powered high enough to actually cycle the semi-auto action with a BFA, and the grenade blanks are designed to shoot with the gas shut-off valve engaged, and thus require less force.

That's what I remember.

The only place I know to get the rifle grenade blanks is that same place you can get the rifle grenades (link on my site). The reloading crimping die for blanks is EXPENSIVE and I'd only buy one if I was doing re-enactments or something like that.

HTH

#158 ·
makes sense that there would be a different blank to shot practice gernades. I am not suprised that the reciver would start to fail lanching a gernade, however the bolt thrust might actualy be less. felt recoil is uses the weight of the projectile as one of the variables in calculating it. bolt thrust on the other hand (if I undersand it correctly is calculated by using the PSI that the powder generates and the diamiter of the rim of the shell.
In other words the bolt thrust firing a 1LB gernade could be less than the bolt thrust of a round loaded for a 123GR bullet. If a round makes 45,000 psi shooting a light bullet or a heavy gernade in the same gun the bolt thrust will be the exactly the same. the recoil pressure imparted to reciver however will be vastly differant.
HC I truely hope that the Rommy trunion is suficent (and I suspect it is) as your face on that bullpup as is how I shoot my hunting pistols is right on top of the dust cover any failure is gong to be ugly. I cant wait for a range report. I would be interested in a few of the specs. the distance of the ejector tip from the barrel and what feed ramp mods if any were nessacary.

#163 ·
us_dragunov said:
First off....AWESOME build. I love the SVU look! And I am all new to building and doing caliber conversions, BUT I have what may be a stupid question.....Why not just start with a Saiga-308 and modify from there?
"Because I can" :thumbup1:

I actually had a bunch of mismatched parts laying around the shop from different projects I completed, and they needed a home. I actually started it off as a Galil Sniper clone, the Galatz. It evolved into the SVU clone. That's really it. If the spare parts weren't available, and if the interest in converting to .308 wasn't there, I may not have even done it.

#168 ·
As Chief Wiggins would say ' I like it I like it alot"
hcpookie said:
This is my page that, one day soon (hopefully) I'll put all the juicy details. No updated pics are up there as of today, but soon!

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AKM/AK_308/ak_308.htm

Yes, I used a Romy G kit after careful consideration of the locking lugs on a Yugo vs. a Romy.

I'm not as concerned about the trunion as I am about the barrel. That is a used G3 barrel that I drilled out for an AK gas port, and I sleeved the 22mm barrel for the 23mm trunion. My concern is the fact that the G3 barrel won't like the gas port hole. Only testing will tell. If it doesn't work then I'm going to get a nice long 308 barrel and lathe it to the proper spec.

The design imitates the Dragunov SVU bullpup with the external trigger bar. It looks like a shortened SVU, which was the goal. :) My thread on the GNA forum has a brief overview of all the build components and I am going to put all that on my website, hopefully by next weekend.

Here's the glamour shot of the build. Yes, that's the converted G3 mag:

#171 ·
Real Life has kept me from even reloading another batch. It shoots great, and headspace is precisely where I set it. Zero variation on that.

My last range trip had me cursing my machining skills in that the scope mount is off just enough that I need to shim the scope (or re-drill the mounting holes). It is really close, so I'd rather just shim. The load recipe I'm using is supposed to be more accurate, and makes lighter loads than the surplus .308 stuff. Honestly I don't think I would shoot the surplus in this any more simply for the fact that this is intended to be more of a scope weapon than a blaster weapon. At any rate, it seems to hold up fine. I'd have to check as to how many I've shot - I think I'm up to about 250 total rounds.

#176 ·
Stay tuned... I am absolutely committed to giving her a new coat of paint. Real Life continues to conspire against me.

You know, tell my manager that I can't drive up to DC for the next few weeks because all that time spent driving could be spent doing other things, so my weekends would be free to do gun stuff. THEN I'll get that finished up. :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.