Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 ak

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have been looking at my ak mag catch and it looks like you could move the pin back about a 1/4 inch and gain some clearance for the longer mag there. I was looking at this also http://www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.html KCI sniper rifle says it uses galil mags with m14 followers. check out the closed up trigger guard. very cool weapon and very close to what I had in my head when I started on the project. just needs a big scope

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Here are the pics, sorry I am late. I had the back of my truck jacked up trying to find out what was making the weird noise. My neighbor came over to see what I was doing and now it looks like my tranny is shot....Oh well, Merry Christmas!

On to the pics! Some are Suomi mag with a 5.45 trunion to show that. Some are my Saiga .308 with M14 mag in place. More details on that when I have it completed. It is mostly done, but need a few things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Someone just needs to talk Buddy at Tapco into making a 20 round Saiga .308 mag. He could use the same plastic he uses to make his SAW pistol grips from. Maybe add a little some more glass to the mix.

He could sell them at $29.99 each or four for $99 and he would move a ton of them.
    Visit http://www.WeaponsWorld.comfor the current ammunition sale prices!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I found them a bit cheaper - gunthings.com has new mags for $16 each. A bit easier on the wallet considering what we have planned for them.

I'm still interested in the G3 conversion. I have more interest in destroying a $1.00 mag. If ' tweaks can work I may go with that. I'm Ok with doing extra work to the mags if they can work. $20 total for a bag full of mags makes this project an even sweeter deal!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im thinking of adding a tab to the back of a G3 mag and using the original mag release modifed and moved back. I did order a m14 mag to look at. The price is the problem with the m14 mag then I have to mod it any way. I am working on three version of this concept one on the bench, and two in my head 308,243, and 8mm Mauser and possably some thing like a 308-38 wildcat. I like that it only costs a buck to mess with the G3 and the wider front would allow for a larger calibur like a .35 & 8mm. I do want to see 's set up with a G3 mag catch I hunt in the snow and need all the room I can get to get a gloved hand through the trigger guard. also toying with the Idea of a Saiga clone with the trigger moved back. I will try to get this camera thing worked out as well

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I pulled the barrel from my old G3 beater parts kit and it is a 22mm trunion Unfortunately, the Yugo is a 23mm trunion, so I am going to play around with that. I'd really rather not use a sleeve and I think I can make it fit by welding a "ridge" to take up the slack. I'm looking at .5mm so that doesn't seem all that bad. I think. If I have to, I'll sleeve it anyway.

The G3 barrel is thinner at all the AK journal sizes so all parts will need to be sleeved. I figured out that a 3/4" gas pipe I have laying around will work great, because it is undersize in the I.D. and oversize on the O.D. A bit of lathe work will do the trick.

The G3 barrel is threaded 15x1mm RH and that means the sleeves won't fit. SO I'm going to have to lathe the threads down and re-thread. I think 1/2"x28mm will work. I'm going to make a muzzle brake out of some steel bar I have laying around.

The G3 barrel pin is in the wrong spot but is smaller than an AK pin. The G3 barrel also needs the extractor notch milled for the AK extractor.

I monkeyed around with the G3 mag and the Yugo trunion tonight. I think it will work, and will need the same kind of grinding that a Weiger mag needs for a Saiga conversion. That, and welding on the rear mounting lug. , that sound about right to you?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

oh so you're adapting tthe G3 magwell? I'm just going to mod the mags to fit the trunion and magwell.

Basically I'm doing the mags like a Saiga conversion but with more fitting and grinding. Those mags are too cheap to ignore... for the cost of one M14 mag, I can have a "full load" of converted G3 mags. I *hate* the idea of proprietary mags, but since I like to load out my mags, that will significantly reduce overall investment costs - 1 mag vs. 10!

Right now I'm looking at this breakout:
    - bentmetal yugo shell
    - yugo 'dark bore' kit
    - home made stock set
    - salvage G3 barrel
    - home made muzzle brake
    - G3 modded mags

I'm doing the US furniture route to save more cash. I figure this will total around $200 TOTAL cost since I'm scrounging half of this stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

drove about 75 miles today and got my hands on a G3 rifle.(heavy) I now see how the mag release works. I think it would work great on a milled kit with the mag well built in. the parts are tuff to find any luck yet? I may just build a completly new mag latch (ak style) with the piviot pin moved back flush against the trigger guard and insted of the release lever handing down I may make it parralell to the bottom of the trigger guard or actually be the bottom of the guard its self. I also looked at a m14 mag as well liked every thing but the price.

Feedback Score

I would worry quite a bit about sleeving a 308 barrel. The place where the pin puts the most load on the trunnion is right where the sleeve will be. Be careful.

OLD SANG

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak 47 bullpup

yugo 308 ak

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.