Gunco Forums banner

308 ak

49K views 321 replies 44 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 · (Edited)

#3 ·
The exception is the Yugo which has a much beefier trunion and bolt. It needs to be found out for sure, but the M76 and M77 Yugo .308 sniper rifles are suposed to have 2 lug bolts. If that is the case then it could be a possible donor for parts.

My Dad and I are looking into this as well....

#8 ·
I'm thinking the FAL mag may be the best because it tapers in the front. However the G3 mags are about $3 a peice used condition. They are square in teh front though and it doesn't seem they will fit in an AK trunion very well.

I have FAL mags, G3, Galil .308. I would like to get my hands on an M14 mag to see how it compares to the rest. I bought the Galil mag at Knob Creek just too look at and the body is very much a copy of a G3. The top is like a stretched AK mag.

#11 ·
1biggun said:
Thanks for the Info If a Yugo trunion and bolt would work. cheap take of barrels from any 308 or possabley other calibers would be a way to get around the new barrel ban. if you used a american made barrel from a remington or winchester, I woud count as one more non imported part. Plus it would make it possable to use bull barrels fluted stainless ect to build some pretty cool and acurrate guns
That is exactly what my Dad intends to do. He has a take off .308 barrel from a bolt gun. The FAL gas block combo will fit on the barrel with just a little fitting. We figured we can eliminate the RSB being on the barrel and cut it and weld it to the trunion.

This is the same principle we came up with for using the Suomi 9mm barrel.

#13 ·
I can see if I can get the measurements of an M14 mag from a friend.

If you want a really heavy wall barrel, check out one for a 1919. The price range is like $30-50.

#15 ·
Don't forget used G3 & CETME barrels. They are relatively expensive but well suited for the task.

You may be able to fish around and find some barrels from G3 beater kits that were parted out - this is where I got mine. Looks ugly on the outside (pits on one side) but the bore is good. Haven't slugged it yet, probably won't... going to be more of a working beater gun than a tack driver. I will probably scope it, however. My plans are to loosely mimic the Galil .308 sniper rifle - called "GALATZ" by some sources:

http://www.world.guns.ru/sniper/sn32-e.htm

#16 ·
Input, please! Since we are doing .308's today...

I need to use an effectice FH on this saiga .308. I am planning on shortening & permanently attaching it by blind pinning w/ weld over the pin. I am more concerned with lessening the felt concussion, rather than the flash. (Big flash is GOOD!)

What thread pitch is typical for .308? I can go 1/2-28 but the FH may not be up to the caliber.....

Here it is:

#17 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
I'm thinking the FAL mag may be the best because it tapers in the front. However the G3 mags are about $3 a peice used condition. They are square in teh front though and it doesn't seem they will fit in an AK trunion very well.

I have FAL mags, G3, Galil .308. I would like to get my hands on an M14 mag to see how it compares to the rest. I bought the Galil mag at Knob Creek just too look at and the body is very much a copy of a G3. The top is like a stretched AK mag.

I can loan you a M14 mag as long as I get it back one day. PM me if you want to borrow one.

#18 ·
wildmann43 said:
I need to use an effectice FH on this saiga .308.
Is that the factory thread job? What is the current thread size?
What thread pitch is typical for .308? I can go 1/2-28 but the FH may not be up to the caliber.....
There isn't one per caliber - more like one per design. I know HK uses 1-15 RH pitch. ARs typically use 12-28 1/2 pitch IIRC. So it goes back to what you want to match to the existing threads, or if you want to use an existing one like a FAL or an AK or something completely different, then match that up. What are those threads again?

#19 ·
Saiga barrel

There is no thread there, the factory left a taper at the muzzle. The baked enamel or powder coat is still present. I may use 1/2-28 & fit one of the Saylor's Phoenix flash hiders on it. Here is one on an M11/9 barrel.

Like my old .223, here:

#20 ·
Oh that's a TAPER - OK. I'm with you now. If it were me, I'd consider turning off the tapered part of the barrel on a lathe or in the vise, otherwise you will have a pretty long threaded part, making your muzzle device need a longer threaded section. May or may not be a problem for you.

What you need to do is measure the OD of the barrel. That will give you the max size you can thread. If it is 15mm then you could thread it with the 15x1 RH threads that HK uses and any HK muzzle device. My G3 has a typical M16 style birdcage flash hider. Not sure what the FAL is but I think it is 9/16 something... that would give you many choices, along with the potential of "converting" it to something you'd prefer...

Choices!

#22 ·
What is the receiver thread diameter on the Winchester and Remington barrels?
I was surprised how many of them there are on ebay and how cheep they are.

If the thread is smaller then the inside dia on the trunion I guess you could do up a threaded insert on a lathe pretty quick.
And if the thread is larger then just turn down the end.

#23 ·
aloharover said:
What is the receiver thread diameter on the Winchester and Remington barrels?
I was surprised how many of them there are on ebay and how cheep they are.

If the thread is smaller then the inside dia on the trunion I guess you could do up a threaded insert on a lathe pretty quick.
And if the thread is larger then just turn down the end.

Not threaded and no need to thread. You turn the barrel down to the 23mm diameter and press it in like any stamped style AK. Headspace and pop a new hole for the barrel pin.

#26 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
Not threaded and no need to thread. You turn the barrel down to the 23mm diameter and press it in like any stamped style AK. Headspace and pop a new hole for the barrel pin.
Even better news.

I see a couple of 24" long heavy 308 barrels. Could you cut the barrel just ahead of the chamber and then rechamber the barrel in 7.62x39 and turn down the external dimensions to match a stock barrel?

Seems like a nice inexpensive way to come up with extra ak barrels if the ban holds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.