Gunco Forums banner

Builds and conversions of mine

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  BattleRifleG3 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share since this seems to be the place.

Might be self explanatory to an extent. I'll wait for comments before describing in too much detail.

#10 ·
It is indeed a G3 mag adaptor... source for much consternation over at S-12.com. I chose to move the mag well back instead of cutting the trunion, which retains the force of the round firing in battery. Had to trim away a bit of the receiver including the cross post, but as you can see, the adaptor has a structural component as well.

If Rhino is the same fellow who posted his 308 conversion on S-12.com, I believe his project involved adding a catch or two to the mag and clearing material from the trunion. Leadhead's conversion used unmodified mags and also had some trunion modification. My system was developed during the ban, so I had to make sure the mags weren't modified beyond usability in a G3.

Details are sort of proprietary, but a lot of light can be shed on this over in the S-308 forum at S-12.com, including some trollish rants against me and in effect all WECSOGers.

Regarding shooting the AMD pistol, I actually get the best accuracy firing it pistol style, even as barrel heavy as it is. I chose the Saiga forend because it seemed to be the smoothest if I were to draw it from a holster/scabbard.

On the X39 carbine, that photo doesn't do justice to the beautiful texture of the gun's metal and polymer parts. I thought it quite neat that a handguard made in Russia, magazine made in Poland, grip made by Tapco, and stock made by K-Var all had the same texture. There's just something perfect about that carbine and all I did was put together the fine quality parts.

A less noticed adaptor is the AR grip adaptor on the S-223. I at a time was planning to make it as much a cross between an AR and AK as possible, but at this point am taking the 223 round much less seriously (with respect to our servicemen who use it successfully.)

I tend to think it's less work in the long run to convert a gun to take different mags, furniture, or accessories than to convert everything out there to fit it. I figure all these folks make expensive ergo grips for AKs, why not make a simple adaptor to use less expensive AR grips? That way you can swap them around if you like. And even with the ban gone, drastically modifying each mag just doesn't seem economical when you can do the gun once and spend less time on each mag. Even factory mags (when they can be found) usually cost about 20 times as much as G3 mags. You can't make G3 mags that cheap, they're just being dumped as surplus as more countries complete their switch to 5.56 from 7.62 NATO.

#13 ·
Sorry, I've only made 4 posts on Saiga-12. 3 of those were about my .45ACP conversion.

I really like the G3 adapter for the Saiga. That easily solves the expensive, low-cap problem.

I was thinking that a FAL magazine could be trimmed and have a new top spotwelded to it. Make the new top out of heavier gauge steel and shape it like the Saiga mag top. Braze or weld your tabs on for the trunnion notch and mag catch and you'd be set. OTOH, This would require fabrication of several mag tops while the G3 adapter is a one time deal.

#15 ·
I like the way you think BattlerifleG3. I'd be afraid to mess with the trunion too, especially on a .308 rifle! Nice work. Glad you posted the pics!!

#20 ·
Ha, I'm retarded.
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=5920&st=60

Right now I'm in the process of a short production run of the adaptor, which still requires significant work on the owner's gun by the owner. Based on results, I may eventually take the final step to a Mark III, but that one would probably not be a production thing, since my current idea is pretty drastic.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.