Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 8mm AK... how hard could it be??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 8mm AK... how hard could it be??

I've converted an 8mm bolt action to a .308 simply by changing out the barrel. The rounds fed fine from the magazine, bolt face matched... no changes anywhere else.

Maybe it's apples and oranges. But it makes sense to me that I could concievable buy me a .308 Saiga, turn a 8mm barrel for it from a blank (wich are fairly common and cheap, I might add)... and that's that. Bolt and everything should work fine, no? Probably need a bigger mag well... mag issues?? An 8mm round is too long to stuff into any .308 mag I suppose?? Is the Yugo 8mm AK the only weapon with a mag that would work for this?? Just curious as to other ppl's thoughts about this as a possible conversion. There's gotta be an alternative to dishing out 1K for a bag'o parts to build into an 8mm AK. Anyone? Thoughts? Opinions?
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Gunco Slightly Irregular cammobunker's Avatar
    Feedback Score

NATO=7.62x51
    8MM= 7,92x57
    It won't fit. neat idea, though.
    "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!"
    -Ash, Army of Darkness
    "There are two kinds of people in this world, Tuco.
    Those with loaded guns,
    and those who dig. You dig."
    -Blondie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I'm sure you could find a mag somewhere that work. Maybe a 30.06 mag from an Americm rifle like the 7400/740 Remingtong series?

I have thought about building one of these as well as my .308 conversion project, but one and with so many 8mm milsurp barrels it woul be fairly cheap.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

....seems to me the only hangup would be the mag. And if the cost of the Saiga's stay down... hmmm.

Wouldn't a Romak PSL mag work? Too much curve maybe. Still $30 some odd bucks a pop.. but at least they're available and built to work in an AK. Hmmm... feed lips probably wouldn't sync...

The Mad Messenger Zane Zackerly's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Wouldn't the closest thing to an 8mm AK be a Yugo M76?
    "I Am the Mad Messenger From the Edge"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
    Wouldn't the closest thing to an 8mm AK be a Yugo M76?
    Yes. Yes it would. A Yugo M76 also cost's a helluva lot of money. Not to mention mag availablility. Read the second to last/last line in my first post.

(There's gotta be an alternative to dishing out 1K for a bag'o parts to build into an 8mm AK. Anyone?)

Saiga .308 = $3-350
    8mm barrel = $60-100 etc
    ...so that's about $450 compared to $999 for a kit not to mention reciever.
    Mags?

Just entertaining the thought.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SA58
    ....seems to me the only hangup would be the mag. And if the cost of the Saiga's stay down... hmmm.

Wouldn't a Romak PSL mag work? Too much curve maybe. Still $30 some odd bucks a pop.. but at least they're available and built to work in an AK. Hmmm... feed lips probably wouldn't sync...
    Romak PSL.....7.62x54......8mm ....7,92x57....same thing again. But closer. It might fit if there is enough slop.
    However......MG13 mags....from ima-usa.com.....an 8mm mag. 30 rounds too! Prolly gonna require some heavy mods,but....Wait a minute......wasn't the BAR built for the belgians in 8mm too? I'm sure it was. Wonder if the mags are the same?
    "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!"
    -Ash, Army of Darkness
    Those with loaded guns,

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Okay, MG13 mags will probably work. If you get the mag to fit, is the bolt going to be long enough to extend past the mag to engage the hammer? The Saiga .308 bolt isn't too much longer than the 7.62 bolt.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cammobunker
    Romak PSL.....7.62x54......8mm ....7,92x57....same thing again. But closer. It might fit if there is enough slop.
    However......MG13 mags....from ima-usa.com.....an 8mm mag. 30 rounds too! Prolly gonna require some heavy mods,but....Wait a minute......wasn't the BAR built for the belgians in 8mm too? I'm sure it was. Wonder if the mags are the same?
    (see, I don't have the overall dimensions of the rounds memorized anymore) I haven't got a PSL (yet) so I can't try to stuff an 8mm round into one to find out for sure. But with the amount of curve on it I would think the tendency would be to bind with a tight fit.

BAR mags?? Don't know. MG13 mags... now your talking! ...and this is why I put the question to those of you with knowledge of such things... good thinking! If I/we can hit upon a suitable mag then I think we're 90% there. The next hurdle would be where to take up the extra 3mm. What is that in inches... pretty close to 1/8"??

Hmm... lets see..

4 FRENCH 7.5 x 54 mags 25 for $100.... hmm, still too short. Price is right though!

Hotchkiss 13.2mm?? only $20

Madsen 8mm mags.. only $10 a piece! Definately needing mods.

MG-13 mags $15.. right on.

Feedback Score

Uh, 13 mm is like .52 cal. that's prolly not gonna work
    -Ash, Army of Darkness
    Those with loaded guns,

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.