Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: caliburs that may work in a AK mag

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    hcpookie I did a searh on some of your old posts on a 9x39 round very Interesting. I would think that a 220 grain bullet would need a prety fast twist in the barrel. what were you planing on using for a doner barrel? 35 REM possably?
    Yes, my plan is to use a 35 REM barrel. I'm getting the tools together before I get a barrel.

what about some thing like the 1.5"-08 (shortened 308 case) but with a 9mm bullet?
    9mm is going to be *slightly* different in size by a few thousandths of an inch, and therefore I'm not sure how it would match with a .358 barrel. I'll hafta ask my dad the reloading master about that!

the 358 win is based on a 308 case a gun I am going to build as soon as I get the 308 conversion done http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win.htm . It would have more case capacity than the 39mm as well. I know that there was a bunch of wildcats built around the 1.5-08. and would not be suprised if it did not already exist.
    Yeah I've heard about that 358 Win before, it seems to be along the same lines as what I'm working on, but I think using a 308 donor case instead of 7.62x39? I guess you could say the 9x39 is a lighter-powered copy. The 9x39 was designed from the beginning as a subsonic round, and fulfills a specific duty of suppressed cover fire, CQB and urban combat duty. I think the lighter recoil and potentially subsonic performance of the 9x39 wildcat would make it meet those same goals. I'm thinking a home defense / CQB / brush gun application, reaching out to *MAYBE* 200 yards tops. Back home in OK my dad & bro can use high-power rifles all day long, so they'll probably be the first to go hunting with it - going to be a family affair!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I know my 357 rugger black hawk had a avaliable 9mm cylinder. dont no how well they shot. I am all for a heay'r bullet hunting pistol. the good thing with my amd 65 pistol is it will shoot 250 yards plus. the bad thing is it shots 250 yards plus meaning that were we hunt is still a shot gun / pistol only zone and the visibilty is some what limmited at times. that last thing I want to do is hit a farm house or worse 2 miles away that I did not know about. some thing with less range withg more knock down power is what I am thinking .although I have shot deer out to the 250 yard range with the 7.62x39 I was not impressed with the bullet expansion bolth deeer this year with pmc sp ammo had very little expansion and were shot clear through. were the The amd realy shined was the abilty to take follow up shots hard to do with a TC Contender. A 9mm with a 200 grain bullet would be more to my liking at 150 yard it should knock a animal off its feet. what is the cost of a ream and dies for a 9x39 set up? I would think that if this could be done You could probably rent out the ream or ream other peoples barrels to offset the cost. I would think that mag would possably be single stack due to the wider bullet. I have been thinking a shell catcher or deflecter would be a good idea also. I have not retrived hardly any of the brass I have shot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

that tromix site is very cool. did you see the 338x39 on the projects area also the bolt action pistol? these guy may have some answers. the 458 socom would do the trick wonder if they would sell just a barrel? nice link

Feedback Score

Anyone ever looked at doing a .30 carbine?
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

30 carbine can be done proably have to be blow back. ammo is not real cheap and the round not that great IMOA. I have a MI carbine and other than plinking it is dissapointing Bought it back in the 80's when you gould get them for $75.oo. to me it would be a lot of work for several steps down from the 7.62x39 in performance. but yes it should be on a list of doable rounds.
    I contacted tromix as to what the 458 SOCOM AK was built on and if a barrel was for sale, by email. Tony responded that the base kit was a 7.65x39 but could not recall what one. He has built two AK's bolth were on milled firing line receivers the one on the site uses Galil and Modified Bulgarian mags. no plans to offer barrels. gun shown was priced at $1650. I am looking into reamer costs barrel blanks ect to see what it would run to build something like this. I think a 45/70 barrel may be possably rechamberd. the AR guys are using factory mags, 223 I assume for this round with only slight mods to the feed lips. a wasr 223 mag may be a good candiate for this as well. does any one know of any differances in the firing line reciver and a ak trunion around the lug area?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

OH yeah bolt face for 458 SOCOM is same as 308 win would need to open up 7.62x39 face slightly.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    OH yeah bolt face for 458 SOCOM is same as 308 win would need to open up 7.62x39 face slightly.
    Good info. Interesting reading about the round.
    Love the idea of a 45-70 bbl. Dont think I have ever seen an octacon bbl on an AK before
    U.S. Army (Ret)
    NRA for Life

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

no but a stainless fluted one would be cool. there was a round steel 45-70 on Ebay the other day sold for around $50. still trying to get info on a reamer for this though. a 458 socom can get full powder burn in some thing like 10". perfect for a pistol.

Feedback Score

I saw an AK in 35 Remington about five,almost six years ago.That would make dies,brass and ammo easy.I think 35 Remington is an old rimmed cartridge.I saw 30 Remington ammo once, which is not common and it's rimless.They were suppose to have made a 35 caliber version of it too.I think they were used in some sort of early semi-auto Remington rifle.I think 6.8mm is based on the 30 Remington case.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by aloharover
    Anyone ever looked at doing a .30 carbine?
    Israel made some sort of Galil/AK in 30 Carbine.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.