Gunco Forums banner

caliburs that may work in a AK mag

8K views 76 replies 12 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 ·
this site http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.html has some cool pics and info on what works in the mini 14 & 30. the levithan round has me thinking. If they can make it work in a 223 mag should be doable in the AK mag. some of these do 3000 fps with a 6mm bullet. they also have some very nice barrels$$$ that may be adaptable.

#27 ·
my next question was ammo price and avalibilty? I ran a search and only found horandy at around $20+ a box . glad to see brass is avalibal I have so many irons in the fire right now. 308, 22 ppc, trying to work out a reamer solution for the 6.5 grendal, and that 458 socom that tromix built has me thinking enough to have already bought a 458 WIN MAG barrel to rechamber. you stated you are going to cut down a mauser barrel. Do you have a reamer for the 7.92x33 ??. if nothing else it would be cool to whip out the old Kurz AK at the range and let people guess what it shoots

#29 ·
several firms now sell 7.92 kurtz brass and loaded rounds and I have eg surplus which I will pull for reloads

I am going to use a barrel which was cut down by a gunsmith to remove the barrel from the receiver. this is done on very tight barrel/receiver fittings. there is a guy on AK net/SGN who rents reamers if not, a 8mm ream short, for headspace I will use a loaded round with tape to set headspace. SGN article says 2,264 fps again lower than 7.62x39mm

for the 303 conversation on the romak 3 will only require the chamber area to be turned down to the proper diameter, tapped for the gas vent. I am thinking of getting a Mk4 barrel

sprat

#32 ·
hcpookie said:

1.) .17 Remington
2,) .204 Ruger
3.) .222 Remington
4.) .223 Remington
5.) 6mm X 45
6.) 7.62x39 or .308
7.) 6mm PPC
8.) 6.5 Grendel
9.) 6.8 Rem. SPC
10.) 243 Leviathan SM **Other calibers available!

The .243 Leviathan is no longer listed on the Accuracy Systems website:

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

They have cut that pic apart and list the calibers one-by-one. Just FYI.

#33 ·
pookie - do you know if Vern (meeper) made any more of the 50 beowulf AK's other than the one posted on FALfiles a few years back or is he just concentrating on the quick change multi caliber fals?

#35 ·
hcpookie said:
Honestly, no idea. I know only of that one. He doesn't seem to advertise himself too much.
True - but his stuff is awesome!!!!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

#36 ·
I found this site while looking for info on cast bullets in 7.62x39

It's ironic that he bad mouths military rifles and the people who like them.... then his ideal hog rifle is a Yugo SKS that he butchers with a hacksaw. Guess taking that evil launcher and bayonet off makes it a respectable hunting rifle.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

Anyway, if it cycles in a SKS then why not in a AK47. Might make a good hunting round. Most cast 308 bullets come out larger than 308, so that could open up other heavier bullets for the 7.62x39.

#37 ·
there are some cast lead loads on the net and in books besides his. 3" groups at at what distance he was shooting is a joke and likely caused by not crowning the barrel after choping the barrel. this guy is a cheap hack in my own opinion + he paid to much for the gun in the first place. I have shot wild pigs and the last thing I want is a slower softer round. A 150 grain soft point at a faster speed is going to work better than what he has. especialy if hit in the heavy shoulder on a big bore the shealds on those animals will stop a archery broad head (I know for a fact). he really cobled up that gun and made it worth about $50. he hates black guns but apperantly is proud of of cobbled up crap. an AR in a 458 socom or 50 beowulf or even the 6.5 grendal and 6.8 spc or a 7.62x39 will out do all of what he did and would weigh what he wants. I have some 303 british bullets 180 grain SP's that I want to try but this is going to make it a 100 yard or less hunting gun as the slow moving bullets will give terriable trajectory. lead bullets would be great for plinking cheap but consider the amount of fouling that you are going to have to remove. If he is really concerned for his life by charging pigs he ought to consider somthing that will kill it on the first shot like a 308 or 30-06. with a gun that wont group worth a shit at 50 yards it no wonder he has angery crippled animals wanting to kill him. try using something that will hit were you want it to and it will die there. I have seen wild pigs go 10 miles after being wounded.

#38 ·
LOL you guys crack me up! I'll have to read his SKS chop shop story! :)

(ahem, cough, cough, back to topic...)

I found another cartridge:

6.5 MPC

If I have read correctly, this is a 5.56 necked UP to 6.5mm. Sounds interesting! It would be easy to make, I would think. Just swap a barrel on a .223 build and presto you have it. I think you could just get a resizing die to open up a .223 case mouth to 6.5. Simple, easy. I wonder about the ballistics... not much info on the site:

http://www.sskindustries.com/6_5mpc.htm

#39 ·
Well said 1biggun and I know that some lead bullets will just flaten on the back armor of hogs.

HC, I was looking around for info on the 9x39. It might be the easiest one to make up the dyes, use std bolts, mags, and such. Which lead to checking cast bullets and found several people that claim to have used the D166 Lapua bullets (200g FMJ for the 7.62x54) in the 7.62x39. None gave specs when asked. Something along that lines would be a short range round, but should have some knock down power.

Has anyone tried heavier bullets in the plain old 7.62x39?

#40 ·
Some were there is some info on subsonic loads for the 7.62x39 that shot some pretty heavy bullets. the trouble is you would have to seat them pretty deep to get them in the mag and that takes up case capacity. I was eyeballing that 6mm PPC brass that HC left that link to, or 6.5 grendal brass . thinking a better 7.62 round could be made out of it by taking advantage of the larger case capicty. but to be honest it is probably eaiser to just build a 308WIN/7.62x51 and have all the case capicty one could use. the 308x1.5" barnes is another way to go that will give better than 7.62x39 performance and allow the use of heavier bullets.
I personally want a 150 GR .30 cal bullet that will do aprox 2500 FPS-2600 FPS or better this would be a perfect deer round a few 100 FPS faster than a 30-30 and just under a 308WIN wich is one of the best for deer IMOA. the 300 savage is right in the ball park as to what I want out of a hunting AK.
the 300 savage is the round I am studing tonight. little shorter than a 308 this would give a little more room in the trigger guard of a converted AK if a mag could be shortend up some. max loads are about45,000 CUP almost perfect!!!!!! 150 GRs do 2600-2700 FPS and 130 GR do 2900 FPS+ that is 500 FPS faster than the the 7.62x39 huge improvement. 180 GR loads shown well doing 2500 FPS there is your wild hog round. also shows 170 gr lead loads at AK speeds. HMMM

#42 ·
HC there is also a 7x45 Ingram made from 223 and a the 7mmTCU also known as the 7mm-223. and a 6x45mm AKA 6mm-223 remington and several others. from what I have read SSK does not sell or allow reamer makers to sell there designes (PROPERITARY). most of these are used in singleshot pistols. but the brass would be cheap and fun to shoot.

#43 ·
Good to know!

That "proprietary" cracks me up. Anyone with the specs for a .223 reamer could easily open the neck up to 6.5... heck there is probably already a wildcat out there in this combo. The .223 seems to have quite a few wildcat spinoffs.

#44 ·
I personaly think the 6.5 grendal and the 50 beowulf would be a hell of a lot more suscessfull if alexander arms did allow the sale of reamers to the home builder. we account for such a small percentage of builds compared to the general puplic. Its kind of hard to sell ammo for a gun that know one has. and for t to gain popularity there needs to be more than one supplier for it. IMOA I would love to brag up my new .50 beowulf but HMM I cant because I wasnt allowed to get a reammer last year.

#47 ·
what would you shoot it in??? there arent enough guns to make it worth importing is my guess. what is odd it the 6.8 SPC a inferior round, has ammo being sold by at least 3 companys. HMM maybe because remington is behind it and there are guns in bolt action as well as AR's. I also suspect that the US goverment is a little hesatant to endorse a round based on the communist designed AK47 which the grerndal is. kind of like saying ahh our 5.56 sucks so we are going to neck up 7.62x39 and use it since we cant design our own round IMOA. the 6.8 even though not as good was designed by military personel and is seen in better light. and is also sold by good old made in the USA remington.

#48 ·
Another one:

357 Auto Cartridge

http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/357auto.shtml

This cartridge is formed by necking down 10mm Magnum cases in a 357 Sig die held 0.300" off the shellholder.
If you want a mid-bore rifle with more oomph than a 9mm, this is the answer.
357 Auto uses 6.8 SPC magazines available from PRI.
357 Auto also uses a 6.8 SPC sized bolt head.
The 357 Auto is not available in the featherweight or lightweight barrel profiles.
This cartridge is still in development and should be loaded with spire point bullets to guarantee feeding.

#49 ·
Interesting? wonder what the FPS is ? wonder if a reamer is avaliable. I think your 9x39 will be a better round as It looks like the case capacity would be better/larger.
I wonder if this could be a blowback action in a AK or if it will have to be gas operated. I assume the ARs are using gas???

#51 ·
hcpookie said:
Another one:

357 Auto Cartridge
After doing yet more research, it appears someone has already been there, done that... however they took a different route. Ever heard of the .357 Auto Mag? Take a .308/.30-06 family cartridge, cut it short, and ream it out for a .44 bullet. You have the .44 Auto Mag. Was popular in the '70s but apparently not much any more. Bottle neck that down to .357 and you have the .357 Auto Mag.

This is the one that Clint Eastwood used Sudden Impact. And, of course, if it is good enough for Clint... :thumbup1:

The .357 Automag is slightly longer, and logically more powerful, than this .357 Auto Cartridge. And if you look at the room in the magazine, it is obvious that a little larger capacity could fit in there. Seems to me that this is an obvious choice for a good "intermediate" pistol/rifle caliber converson. I can just see a bullpup creation now! ;)

http://www.automagparts.com/

I checked and Midway has Automag dies, and if you don't want to cut .308 brass, Starline apparently makes runs of it from time to time. And it is in my reloading manual :)

Reportedly the original 357 Auto Mag Pistol pushed a 90-150 grain bullet up to 2000 FPS.

\IMO\
Seems like the Automag would be a better choice than the 357 Auto Cartridge.
\IMO\

The best comparison photo I can find is from an old magazine article. L-R is the original .44 Magnum, .44 Automag, .357 Automag, and the short-lived 9mm/44 Automag:

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w357automag.html

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/CTT0108.html

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg177-e.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.