Thread: caliburs that may work in a AK mag

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

so where is everyone on these builds?

and what about a 44mag?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Ok back to what calibers fit a 7.62 x39 mm Ak mag correct without alterations

you all forgot 7.92 x 33 mm kurz, it fits just nicely and functions even better with a 308 bolt head and a old cut down 8mm mauser barrel

Sprat

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ok I'll Bite. do you find any load info for this round? what it the overall length? This might make a good hunting round as 8mm bullet selection is a little better than .311. Did you have any pressure specs and velocity stuff for this? I just happen to have a bad barrel Yugo kit and a few 8mm mauser barrels lying around. do you happen to have a round that you can post next to a 7.62x39 for comparison? the twist rate of the mauser barrel as it is designed for a 150 grain and up bullet and the extra weight of a 8mm bullet might allow for a whisper type load. those 220 grain SP's got me thinking

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

only looked for a few minutes but this is all i found
    http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/reloa...mes;read=11329

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Bert

don't bite, nibble alittle first. No I never got the tolerances. but I remembered a article in shotgun news afew years back discussing this and the article said the pressure is the same or simular

7.92 x33mm No pics but the steel case length is 1.295, the projectile should be 123gr fmj overall case length1.872 the base rim is . 467 as is 8mm/308/30'06

7.62 x39mm base rim is .442 with a overall 2.156 124gr (wolf)

I am preparing for vacation when I return I am gonna turn down a old cut down mauser barrel. I don't know the twist I wasn't planning on building a whipser.
    but trying something different now that reloadable brass is around and partizan makes this stuff. I have some east german stuff I bought years ago also

I read the article you posted that load of imr 4227 is lower than what I put in my range pickups with 124 gr

I gonna see if I saved that article in SGN

the .311 or 303 british will be done using a romak 3 kit I am still waiting to find this bren barrel dicussion and I will seek out other threads.

sprat

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

my next question was ammo price and avalibilty? I ran a search and only found horandy at around $20+ a box . glad to see brass is avalibal I have so many irons in the fire right now. 308, 22 ppc, trying to work out a reamer solution for the 6.5 grendal, and that 458 socom that tromix built has me thinking enough to have already bought a 458 WIN MAG barrel to rechamber. you stated you are going to cut down a mauser barrel. Do you have a reamer for the 7.92x33 ??. if nothing else it would be cool to whip out the old Kurz AK at the range and let people guess what it shoots

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i bite? ,lol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

several firms now sell 7.92 kurtz brass and loaded rounds and I have eg surplus which I will pull for reloads

I am going to use a barrel which was cut down by a gunsmith to remove the barrel from the receiver. this is done on very tight barrel/receiver fittings. there is a guy on AK net/SGN who rents reamers if not, a 8mm ream short, for headspace I will use a loaded round with tape to set headspace. SGN article says 2,264 fps again lower than 7.62x39mm

for the 303 conversation on the romak 3 will only require the chamber area to be turned down to the proper diameter, tapped for the gas vent. I am thinking of getting a Mk4 barrel

sprat

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

if not, a 8mm ream short

are you saying a 8mm mauser reamer ran in only part way will work??.
    I have a couple nice large ring 8mm mauser barrels that I have been trying to find a use for.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.