Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: caliburs that may work in a AK mag

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

gun page 2

Olympic Arms, Inc. - WSSM Conversions

WSSM stuff.

I have looked at the WSSM for the AK and I dont think Id do it unless on a 3 lug bolt. The AK is not bound by the short mag so there are pleanty of other rounds that will get you close.

223 WSSM 65,000 PSI thats hot
    Max Chamber Pressure - SAAMI Specs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I think remingtons main goal is to give the AR platform more of a PC friendly look and I think its a good idea. there are thousands of men in this country trained on the M16 and know how to shoot it. Remington had a pretty high stake in the AR as they own DPMS as well. if these get outlawed then they loose there ass.
    Agree completely!

the 6.8 SPC is not dead but there is already a second chamber and twist rate designed for it so now there are two differant types of ammo that should not be interchanged as the fast twist bumps up the pressure. This further complicates things and makes early guns less desirable.
    It was my understanding from the 6.8 online documentation sites that the "type 2" throat is *the* de facto throat, and the "type 1" throats (only the very earliest) are tight and really only suitable for the lighter loads.

I didn't think there were that many, if at all, "type 1" barrels out there?

To many projects no money.
    Amen brother!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

223 WSSM 65,000 PSI thats hot
    Max Chamber Pressure - SAAMI Specs
    Yeah that's up there near the 7.62x39 proof loads of (supposedly) 70,000!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yeah that's up there near the 7.62x39 proof loads of (supposedly) 70,000!
    factor in the 1/2" or bigger case head diamiter and the bolt thrust is way way over what the AK proof rounds can do. I honestly wonder how the AR,s are staying together??

Im not really up on the 6.8 SPC II stuff. My barrel is a remington that has first production stamped right into it. so Im pretty sure Id be stuck with the lighter loads. its a heavy varmit/target profile in stainless.

Im going to build it some day but it serves no new purpose my other hunting build wont do. its not going to out shoot my 223 on varmits and its wont beat my 308's on deer so it one of those hey its cool to have builds that gets a back seat. I try to have a specific purpose for my custom builds. the 6.8 would possably be a better hunting round than the 7.62x39 but like I said I already have a 308 AK.

right now Im focused on a 260 remington that will out do my 223 for long range varmits as well as deer. and the 444???? that will knock a deer ass over tea kettle out to 150 yards and not shoot into the next county if I miss. there is a 17-223 that will allow for light recoil to 300 yard varmit hunting that I am thinking my son can shoot pretty soon also. I also need to finish some 7.62x25,s for cheap plinking blasting and Id like to try a 17hmr and 22 LR blow back scratch build. unless I do some big bore monster like your 45-70 or even a big .50 Ill likely not be doing to much else untill the money situation changes.

Feedback Score

factor in the 1/2" or bigger case head diamiter and the bolt thrust is way way over what the AK proof rounds can do.
    I picked up a few cases from that and the rim end is near 5/8" in diameter! lotsa surface area there compared to the surface area on the bullet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I picked up a few cases from that and the rim end is near 5/8" in diameter! lotsa surface area there compared to the surface area on the bullet.
    BTW to calculate the bolt thrust you use the inside of the case at the base. but that big case head diamiter is really goint to increase bolt thrust.

I was considering rebating the cases to work with a standard bolt but its just easier to use a 308 based round that is longet In a Ak. I rather have a longer round and have more mag Capacity.

the WSSM in 223 and 6mm are said to be barrel burners and browning chrome lines all there WSSM barrel. something the home builder cant really do.

Feedback Score

BTW to calculate the bolt thrust you use the inside of the case at the base. but that big case head diamiter is really goint to increase bolt thrust.

I was considering rebating the cases to work with a standard bolt but its just easier to use a 308 based round that is longet In a Ak. I rather have a longer round and have more mag Capacity.

the WSSM in 223 and 6mm are said to be barrel burners and browning chrome lines all there WSSM barrel. something the home builder cant really do.
    Forgot that the case head was smaller inside the case... Whoops. Yeah, I'd go with a longer, smaller diameter round too. Beats a 5 round mag capacity.

I'd assume the .223 one would be a barrel burner, that is a ton of reduction in diameter, bound to be a lot of turbulence, and therefore the powder grains would more or less sandblast the throat, might be able to go to a 2 shouldered design to reduce the turbulence, but I dunno if it'd help... Maybe stellite lining for the first couple inches if it wouldn't kill accuracy.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.