Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: caliburs that may work in a AK mag

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default caliburs that may work in a AK mag

this site http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ni_prices.html has some cool pics and info on what works in the mini 14 & 30. the levithan round has me thinking. If they can make it work in a 223 mag should be doable in the AK mag. some of these do 3000 fps with a 6mm bullet. they also have some very nice barrels$$$ that may be adaptable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1.) .17 Remington
    2,) .204 Ruger
    3.) .222 Remington
    4.) .223 Remington
    5.) 6mm X 45
    6.) 7.62x39 or .308
    7.) 6mm PPC
    8.) 6.5 Grendel
    9.) 6.8 Rem. SPC
    10.) 243 Leviathan SM **Other calibers available!

What about 5.45x39?
    Last edited by hcpookie; 02-01-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's a wild thouhgt - how about the P90 ammo - 5.7x28mm?

Reason I ask, is on the 5.7x28mm link here:

http://www.rhinelandarms.com/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hcpookie thanks for getting the pics up. My computer skills are limited. I noticed also that the 5.45x39 was not shown. My guess is most mini30 owners would not be interested in this round with the cost involved to do a conversion. the 300 wisper would be a good choice as well. I looked into that round a while back the barrel needs a pretty fast twist rate to stapelize the heavy bullets that work best in it. the Leviathan round (243 WSSM)reaches some pretty high CUP pressures, with a case that is some thing like a 1/2 inch in dia that would not leave a lot of barrel dia in a 23mm trunion. another round to consider is the 1.5-308 wildcat hotter than a 30-30 with a 150 grain bullet, it would be a nice improvement over the 7.62x39 round with out all the mag and floor plate rework of some of the other conversions I'm thinking of proably would work with a ROMMY trunion also. I guess i'm getting bored building more guns in 7.62x39.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I know I've seen the Meeper converson of a SAR-3 (.223 model) that was converted to .50 Beowulf. That was one nice looking rifle... looked like a normal AK with a full-diameter barrel!

I have to agree with your caliber boredom - I'm about at the end of my need to build more AKs. I like having a few "buddy builds" in the safe but I'd like to work more with .223 and some "application specific" rounds like the 6.5 Grendel. Supposedly Wolf Ammo will be making 6.5 Grendel ammo soon, making this a bit more enticing.

I'd REALLY like to play with the 6.8 SPC but that will be a ways away.

I'm actively working on a 9x39 clone and I'm tracking the progress in the Ammo forum. Basically this will mate a .35 Remington bullet with a standard 7.62x39 case to throw a 250 grain bullet out to 200 yards. I think it will perform close to the .50 Beowulf but maybe a little better and in the Russian design. A real thumper!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

9x39 would make a good hunting pistol calibur. I need some thing for deer at up 150 yards. a suomi barrel would work good for this (are they chrome lined?) would need a special ream for this and dies. I havent been watching the ammo forum. I am just now getting into reloading. I was thinking of a 8mmx39 awhile back. I orderd some .308 sabots http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html to put .22 bullets in a 7.62 x39 plan on trying make some accelerator type ammo. I hope to be able to pull bullets from wolf ammo (cheap) and replace the bullet and powder with a saboted 22. not sure if it will feed and cycle but It will only cost $25 to find out. if the 6.5 Grendel was avaliable cheap I would be all over doing a conversion Thats all I need a 7or 8 reams at $150 a pop and more dies. this all started with one gun

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun
    9x39 would make a good hunting pistol calibur. I need some thing for deer at up 150 yards. a suomi barrel would work good for this (are they chrome lined?) would need a special ream for this and dies. I havent been watching the ammo forum. I am just now getting into reloading. I was thinking of a 8mmx39 awhile back.
    I think 9x39 will be an *awesome* bush rifle caliber! Here in VA they only let you shotgun hunt, but I gave up sitting in a cold forest acting like a stump a long time ago... yes I'm a little school girl when it comes to cold weather hunting

I have been looking at the .358 (.35 caliber) barrels, but I never considered a 9mm barrel. HRM..... good idea, I'll have to seriously look into those!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hcpookie I did a searh on some of your old posts on a 9x39 round very Interesting. I would think that a 220 grain bullet would need a prety fast twist in the barrel. what were you planing on using for a doner barrel? 35 REM possably?
    I might be interested in splitting the cost of the reamer in a project like this. what about some thing like the 1.5"-08 (shortened 308 case) but with a 9mm bullet? brass is pretty cheap for a 308. the 358 win is based on a 308 case a gun I am going to build as soon as I get the 308 conversion done http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win.htm . It would have more case capacity than the 39mm as well. I know that there was a bunch of wildcats built around the 1.5-08. and would not be suprised if it did not already exist.
    Luckly in WI pistols are allowed in our shot gun areas. If not for that I would have never even considerd building a AK, now Im Helping five friends build pistols.I know what you mean about cold my hands were freezzing to my AMD 65 pistol while traking a hit deer this year (wood forearm for next season)

Feedback Score

Tony Rumore of TROMEX did a Mini-14 in .458 SOCOM and is/was working on an AK-47 in that caliber.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the tip, Parrandero! And welcome to Gunco!

That .458 SOCOM looks like it is chambered for a .223 bolt head? Hard to tell from the pics. It appears this would deliver more energy than a .50 Beowulf.

Not sure how that would kick? I'm thinking for a tactical entry/home defense situation... I like that Valmet-style bayonet lug! You know that's kinda like an AR style lug isn't it?

Its nice they put all the reloading contact info on the page there for you! Ammo is available from Corbon too

http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_458.htm

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.